Overcoming new obsticles - Page 12 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 152 Old 11-01-2009, 01:45 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 744
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by spastic_dove View Post
just wanted to add, that i use a crop and a whip in the same way. It is an extension of my aids. Like you mentioned, i will ask nicely the first time, and then use a crop or a bump of my spur to give the horse a wakeup call.

I condition by long trotting as well as loping to open up his heart and lungs. Does he place 1st every
time we go out and try a long distance ride, no and that's not why i do it. However i always have good remarks on my sheets.
My point was that you can have a barrel horse that can do 50s and be level headed and sane. The reason a horse gets hot like you see barrel horses get is poor training.
Agreed 100% We don't only do trail riding to condition. I'm sorry if that was what you thought Riosdad. We do both trail riding, loping with riders and without, and we also work on the pattern at almost full speed.

Last edited by SmoothTrails; 11-01-2009 at 01:54 AM.
SmoothTrails is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #112 of 152 Old 11-01-2009, 01:48 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 4,510
• Horses: 2
No boo, hiss here kiwigirl, I DO agree that he can have some valid points. I've just been right sick and tired of this attitude for quite some time now, and this thread just seemed to take the cake.

I have zero issues with RioDads training, if he's telling the truth, he seems to be a very capable trainer. I am just flat out sick of him ranting on about how everyone else sucks and if we don't do things his way and with his ambition, we're sudddenly "under achievers"? Not all people have the same goal with horses. He views them as machines to obey his every whim and has no qualms telling everyone else how wrong they are for not doing the same.

I find it sad mostly because it seems like on occasion he COULD have some really good advice to give, if he'd just cut it out with the **** attitude. People don't tend to listen when others can't stop bragging about how awesome they are.

Quote:
I hope God tells her to smash her computer with a sledgehammer.

MacabreMikolaj is offline  
post #113 of 152 Old 11-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 5,455
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacabreMikolaj View Post
No boo, hiss here kiwigirl, I DO agree that he can have some valid points. I've just been right sick and tired of this attitude for quite some time now, and this thread just seemed to take the cake.

I have zero issues with RioDads training, if he's telling the truth, he seems to be a very capable trainer. I am just flat out sick of him ranting on about how everyone else sucks and if we don't do things his way and with his ambition, we're sudddenly "under achievers"? Not all people have the same goal with horses. He views them as machines to obey his every whim and has no qualms telling everyone else how wrong they are for not doing the same.

I find it sad mostly because it seems like on occasion he COULD have some really good advice to give, if he'd just cut it out with the **** attitude. People don't tend to listen when others can't stop bragging about how awesome they are.
I agree with 90% of what Riosdad says but sometimes I still want to argue because of the way it's said. Most people that don't wear spurs are not asking much from thier horses. Horses are lazy by nature and if you are pushing them either endurance wise or athletically they usually need more motivation to move off your leg. If you don't want to ride with spurs and you feel that you are getting all you need out of your horse then great don't wear them.

You're right the bragging about "my guys" is getting old.

There's nothing like the Rockies in the springtime... Nothing like the freedom in the air... And there ain't nothing better than draggin calves to the fire and there's nothing like the smell of burning hair. -Brenn Hill
kevinshorses is offline  
post #114 of 152 Old 11-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 310
• Horses: 0
Wow. This a very long thread. Riosdad, I am not exactly sure why you think every horse you ride needs spurs? and I really dont understand for the life of me why you think that someone is an "under achiever" for not wearing them? I personally can have my horse do anything without any "tools". Ya its called training! How does spurs become necessary for a barn sour horse? Please humor me. By reading through all your posts and defending yourself to peoples comments (which I dont blame anyone in here for getting upset)...you seem like a very closed minded, old cowboy who "cowboys" there horses and doesnt consider where the horse is at in there mind. Rearing isnt because they want to get out of work, if your horses rear baby or not, you are doing something wrong...its that simple. Not the horse, K? When it becomes a habit, then its still your fault..still with me? The horse isnt givin a second chance, according to you, and this is scary to someone who deals with horses with serious issues on a regular basis. Ya me "the fixer upper". Dont have a heart attack over there but I dont wear spurs EITHER or use any tools training, wow eh? and I still come out with all around horses that arent beat into listening, its called willingness to learn...IMO its people like you that "train" horses that end up screwing them up far more then someone who actually asks for help or listens to what people have to say rather then getting so defensive. You say you dont let anyone ride your horses, hell, I wouldnt even attempt to get on your robots, I want to ride a horse not something who has been beatin into your program or whatever you want to call it because it aint training. I would much rather get on a fresh colt then one of yours...eek. If you dont know how to work with a horses emotions, you shouldnt be telling people how "wrong" there ways are. Seriously. Anyone who doesnt take in there horses emotions or works with them to help them succeed, rather then just dig your lil dressage spurs in (which by the way are a hell of a lot more severe then them noisy big western spurs) and gives them one chance, you should be sitting in this forum as a student and open your eyes to all your own faults. You are someone that will screw up more horses because you never let them think for themselves and figure out what you want of them. They never will learn whats expected of them. Horses arent robots, its people like you that make them that way. You should step into the new updated ways of doing things sometime, you might then not be sitting there on your ass telling people how wrong there ways are because they dont wear spurs. Give me a break. You should be taking notes, not giving advice because what you do to your horses is just outright wrong IMO, you dont EVER force a horse to do anything. Its amusing that you can sit there and brag about something like that. It shows your true colors the more you talk so keep on at it, people are enjoying telling you how much of an idiot you are and I cant say that I disagree at all.

Last edited by paint gurl 23; 11-01-2009 at 03:55 PM.
paint gurl 23 is offline  
post #115 of 152 Old 11-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 5,455
• Horses: 1
WOW I was worried that MY comment would be too harsh!!

There's nothing like the Rockies in the springtime... Nothing like the freedom in the air... And there ain't nothing better than draggin calves to the fire and there's nothing like the smell of burning hair. -Brenn Hill
kevinshorses is offline  
post #116 of 152 Old 11-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 310
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses View Post
I agree with 90% of what Riosdad says but sometimes I still want to argue because of the way it's said. Most people that don't wear spurs are not asking much from thier horses. Horses are lazy by nature and if you are pushing them either endurance wise or athletically they usually need more motivation to move off your leg. If you don't want to ride with spurs and you feel that you are getting all you need out of your horse then great don't wear them.

You're right the bragging about "my guys" is getting old.
I have to disagree. Just because people dont wear spurs, doesnt mean they arent getting full performance out of there horse. Not all horses are lazy by nature, some are and should be fixed on the ground beforehand to go forward. I dont know why a person would think because there horse is "lazy by nature" they need spurs? Spurs are just another crutch for the unknowledgable horsemen.
paint gurl 23 is offline  
post #117 of 152 Old 11-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 5,455
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by paint gurl 23 View Post
I have to disagree. Just because people dont wear spurs, doesnt mean they arent getting full performance out of there horse. Not all horses are lazy by nature, some are and should be fixed on the ground beforehand to go forward. I dont know why a person would think because there horse is "lazy by nature" they need spurs? Spurs are just another crutch for the unknowledgable horsemen.
Your ignorance is showing. How can you train without using any tools? Do you use halters or bridles? Do you ride in a saddle? Those are all tools. You seem just as argumentive as Riosdad and you have much less experience. Your bragging is already old.

There's nothing like the Rockies in the springtime... Nothing like the freedom in the air... And there ain't nothing better than draggin calves to the fire and there's nothing like the smell of burning hair. -Brenn Hill

Last edited by kevinshorses; 11-01-2009 at 04:26 PM.
kevinshorses is offline  
post #118 of 152 Old 11-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lima, Montana.
Posts: 479
• Horses: 8
Wow. I just read through this whole thread, and I'm not going to comment on a lot of things. But, just a few points to make.

Some horses are lazy, others aren't. Lazy, to me, is wanting to get out of work. I have one very honest, hardworking mare, that is most definitely NOT lazy. However, the majority of them are.

Spurs... I sometimes ride with them, only if I think some of my horses ARE getting lazy. They are an extension of my legs, and I simply use them so that I don't have to push as hard. Horses are more responsive to leg cues if they are trained correctly with spurs, I think. I don't just ask with the spur, though. It's leg, then spur. As soon as I don't have to use the spur anymore, it comes off. I am pretty clumsy and for some reason tend to trip on them more than other people, LOL.

Yes, Riosdad comes off as pretty offensive, and sometimes I don't agree with what he's saying. Actually, he can be quite rude and the bragging is getting out of hand. But that's not the point. The point is that we all have different training methods, and Riosdad, please, we are tired of being jumped on for having different methods. One post of advice is enough, then back to the original topic, please.

If we want advice, we will ask for it in another topic. Give your 2 cents, that's enough.

*waits to be jumped on* Just my humble opinion....


To rein a horse is not only to guide him,
but also to control his every movement.
Nita is offline  
post #119 of 152 Old 11-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 310
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses View Post
Your ignorance is showing. How can you train without using any tools? Do you use halters or bridles? Do you ride in a saddle? Those are all tools. You seem just as argumentive as Riosdad and you have much less experience. Your bragging is already old.
Lol. How do you assume I have less experience? How am I bragging? Its called body language and energy, dont be so silly smart guy!
paint gurl 23 is offline  
post #120 of 152 Old 11-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: at the barn
Posts: 2,160
• Horses: 3
you didn't answer his questions
savvylover112 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overcoming Twitching Moxie Horse Training 17 02-07-2009 05:28 PM
Overcoming Fear RazberriRider Horse Training 27 03-04-2008 01:23 PM
Overcoming FEAR Vidaloco Horse Talk 15 11-14-2007 02:29 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome