Pasture or round pen for a mustang? - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
 19Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 37 Old 06-28-2013, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 106
• Horses: 0
Y'all are rough around here, I've not said I know all the answers, and I'm sorry if I offend anyone because I've trained and worked with horse for a good amount of years. I was only asking about the mental differences between mustangs and horses, through personal experience.

But it seems that makes everyone seem defensive.

My other thread focuses on the training of my mustang, much like the clicker training thread that is in the same section. If you do not want to read it, don't open it.
Posted via Mobile Device
MustangGirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 37 Old 06-28-2013, 03:31 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 5,686
• Horses: 0
I think you can do both or whichever you want. Isn't this the little feral horse that somebody else already had for a couple years already? Try it both ways.

Heck, my kids got 6 of the three-time losers, messed with them for one summer and sold them that fall. Of course, like yours, they had already been around people or contained (these, at least in a feedlot type situation). Anyway, the things the kids did to and with those horses. They had everything from getting their manes and tails curled to putting in long days under saddle. They were pretty tolerant little gentlemen by the time they sold.
boots is offline  
post #23 of 37 Old 06-28-2013, 06:34 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: left of center
Posts: 7,083
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGirl View Post
Y'all are rough around here, I've not said I know all the answers, and I'm sorry if I offend anyone because I've trained and worked with horse for a good amount of years. I was only asking about the mental differences between mustangs and horses, through personal experience.

But it seems that makes everyone seem defensive.

My other thread focuses on the training of my mustang, much like the clicker training thread that is in the same section. If you do not want to read it, don't open it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not defensive at all, just stating the obvious as I read it. You may have trained horses, but everyone I know who trains horses and mustangs tells me they are different. People have given you input here, but you do seem set on getting him out of the round pen sooner rather than later, no matter what anyone says.

As far as the other thread-the way it is written in more like a blog. Again-stating the obvious.

Signature undergoing edits. Please standby.......
franknbeans is offline  
post #24 of 37 Old 06-28-2013, 06:44 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 18
• Horses: 0
I would keep him alone til he follows you around no matter where you are. Mustangs are very smart and once bonded they are hard to break that bond. there shouldn't be a time frame put on trust. It's all up to the horse :)
Posted via Mobile Device
Frieda likes this.
lovemylilly is offline  
post #25 of 37 Old 06-28-2013, 08:03 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Palmyra, Wisconsin
Posts: 5,813
• Horses: 4
I would try smaller turnout with another as suggested. His first human contact was being chased & you can bet he remembers that. Instead of him thinking it will be easier to get caught he may think, "Oh, hell no."

But, if he has already been started by someone else he may be OK. It sounds like he is not newly from the range.
natisha is offline  
post #26 of 37 Old 06-28-2013, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 106
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
Not defensive at all, just stating the obvious as I read it. You may have trained horses, but everyone I know who trains horses and mustangs tells me they are different. People have given you input here, but you do seem set on getting him out of the round pen sooner rather than later, no matter what anyone says.

As far as the other thread-the way it is written in more like a blog. Again-stating the obvious.
Hmmm. Well, considering when I posted the thread I was ready to let him out that day since I usually let my quarter horses out after 7 days, and now have decided against if because a few people have said mustangs tend to not withhold their training like quarter horses, so I'm not sure what your argument is, Frank?
Posted via Mobile Device
MustangGirl is offline  
post #27 of 37 Old 06-28-2013, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 106
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by natisha View Post
I would try smaller turnout with another as suggested. His first human contact was being chased & you can bet he remembers that. Instead of him thinking it will be easier to get caught he may think, "Oh, hell no."

But, if he has already been started by someone else he may be OK. It sounds like he is not newly from the range.
He isn't, he's about two years off the range but wasnt handled very much in the first two years. When I got him I couldn't touch him but he's calmed down quickly and really craves human attention.
Posted via Mobile Device
MustangGirl is offline  
post #28 of 37 Old 06-28-2013, 10:59 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Palmyra, Wisconsin
Posts: 5,813
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGirl View Post
He isn't, he's about two years off the range but wasnt handled very much in the first two years. When I got him I couldn't touch him but he's calmed down quickly and really craves human attention.
Posted via Mobile Device
In that case maybe it would be beneficial to take him into the pasture on a lunge line. See how he behaves, if he gets too excited or anything like that. Let the line out, let him graze & practice walking up to him or softly bringing him to you. That may give you an idea of his response & get him used to you approaching him in a larger area.
You'll need to keep the other horses away somehow though. Maybe another person could do that.
natisha is offline  
post #29 of 37 Old 06-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CT USA an English transplant
Posts: 22,571
• Horses: 3
I've also owned and trained horses for may years including buying untouched ponies that get rounded up off the New Forest (UK) each year and 3 years olds that people have bred and left untouched in a herd situation - some that were older
Difference is I wouldn't even have to ask the question because I know that if I turned that horse out on 10 acres with an already established herd there would be the potential for disaster. The moment they all started running him around he would likely forget all he'd learnt and your pressure and release technique with a whole lot of horses running around wouldn't be worth squat.
jaydee is offline  
post #30 of 37 Old 06-28-2013, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 106
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
I've also owned and trained horses for may years including buying untouched ponies that get rounded up off the New Forest (UK) each year and 3 years olds that people have bred and left untouched in a herd situation - some that were older
Difference is I wouldn't even have to ask the question because I know that if I turned that horse out on 10 acres with an already established herd there would be the potential for disaster. The moment they all started running him around he would likely forget all he'd learnt and your pressure and release technique with a whole lot of horses running around wouldn't be worth squat.
Well of course if I turned him out with an established herd that would be asking for a problem. But, he's had his fights over the pen, been out hand grazed in the middle of everyone and taken to/from the barn in between all the horses without incident. Usually, that's enough for a domestic horse to get settled in and figure out their place. Depending on the horse, I give my new horses 8-10 days in the pen, with some of those spent out hand grazing in the herd with me to supervise.
Posted via Mobile Device
MustangGirl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Round pen help gamingirl22 Horse Training 1 04-19-2013 04:13 PM
Looking for Round Pen lasso Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 02-27-2013 07:44 PM
Round Pen... what's that all about then? Shropshirerosie Horse Training 18 05-17-2012 11:10 AM
Round pen is on its way! goldilockz Barn Maintenance 1 07-02-2011 06:18 PM
How does he look in the round pen? CopperHorse Horse Training 6 03-18-2011 09:55 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome