Pony Kicked Me - What do you do - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Pony Kicked Me - What do you do

This is a discussion on Pony Kicked Me - What do you do within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Bad behavior in ponies
  • Horse kicked me

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-16-2010, 02:34 PM
  #11
Green Broke
It a horse threatens to kick you then you absolutely MUST punish them for it.

God help any of mine if they even thought about it. In the last 8 years I have only been kicked once (if you exclude a paniced pony), and I'm fairly sure that the pony who kicked me thought that the world was ending due to my reaction which involved alot of screaming, shouting, several wollops from the lead rope onto his side (very very hard) and me chucking a body brush at him (all within the space of about 30 seconds after the kick). He has never ever tried it again with anyone.

He still gives me cuddles and kisses and is generaly a lovely pony but he has never threatened to kick at anyone since then.

The only kick I have ever forgiven a horse for actualy happened last weekend with my new baby pony, the gate swang shut on him as we went through it and he was trapped, he paniced completely and unfortunatly whilst I was trying to free him from the gate he landed a kick on me. I've got the most enormous bruise on my leg, but he was laashing out at the gate that was trapping him and not at me, any telling off at that point would not only have made the situation worse but would have been completely unwarrented and would have scared the poor pony witless.

Kicking is a very very serious thing. The wort injury I have had from a kick landed me in hospital after a 11.2hh pony double barrelled me and sent me flying through a post and rail fence, knocking me out and breaking 2 ribs and my collar bone (this was when I was 15). I do know of several people who have been killed by a kick to the head.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-16-2010, 03:16 PM
  #12
Foal
Just out of curiosity and its only a thought...but how close were you to the other pony...? can you be sure she was aiming at you and not the other pony?...sometimes the feeder/owner becomes a prized possession to be guarded or claimed...I was wondering maybe if there was any chance that the kick was aimed at the other pony and you were the unwitting reciever..?.....just a thought as I don't know your proximity to the other pony at the time of the incident...
Hope your hand is better by the way..x
     
    10-17-2010, 06:03 PM
  #13
Foal
Thanks to all of you. It has been a long weekend. My husband was out there today & she is doing the same things. Our firend came over & she is doing it still more.

I feel a little frustrated today. My husband wants to sell her & just keep the mini and he has final say.

I hope tomorrow is better.
     
    10-18-2010, 08:44 AM
  #14
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGaGa    
Just out of curiosity and its only a thought...but how close were you to the other pony...? can you be sure she was aiming at you and not the other pony?...sometimes the feeder/owner becomes a prized possession to be guarded or claimed...I was wondering maybe if there was any chance that the kick was aimed at the other pony and you were the unwitting reciever..?.....just a thought as I don't know your proximity to the other pony at the time of the incident...
I am not sure why it really matters. Even if she was kicking at the other pony, when the human is around that is not OK. The human is in charge of the whole herd. No underling should be handing out punishment like that with the herd boss (human) standing there.
     
    10-18-2010, 12:46 PM
  #15
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind    
I am not sure why it really matters. Even if she was kicking at the other pony, when the human is around that is not OK. The human is in charge of the whole herd. No underling should be handing out punishment like that with the herd boss (human) standing there.
It matters because at the end of the day the pony is an animal driven by instinct...Horse psychology isnt quite the same as human psychology...lol...yes you may decide that it is unacceptable to participate in that type of behavior but nature never imparted your/our sensibilities on the animal therefore it is behavior that has to be discouraged through teaching its unacceptability..
The bottom line is this...if this filly hasnt been taught inappropriate behavior, how is she expected to practice acceptable behavior..?...I was asking a question to the OP to perhaps lighten the emphasis on naughty behavior and perhaps put the situation in a different light rather than just say 'bad pony'..I wasnt for one minute suggesting that the situation was acceptable or should be tolerated..
So that's why it matters....!..not everything is black and white..x
     
    10-18-2010, 01:22 PM
  #16
mls
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGaGa    
It matters because at the end of the day the pony is an animal driven by instinct...Horse psychology isnt quite the same as human psychology...lol...yes you may decide that it is unacceptable to participate in that type of behavior but nature never imparted your/our sensibilities on the animal therefore it is behavior that has to be discouraged through teaching its unacceptability..
The bottom line is this...if this filly hasnt been taught inappropriate behavior, how is she expected to practice acceptable behavior..?...I was asking a question to the OP to perhaps lighten the emphasis on naughty behavior and perhaps put the situation in a different light rather than just say 'bad pony'..I wasnt for one minute suggesting that the situation was acceptable or should be tolerated..
So that's why it matters....!..not everything is black and white..x
The OP already said the gelding had gone in.

I agree with AB - when I am present in the turnout - they CANNOT kick, bite chase, etc If any of them start acting up I loudly say "PEOPLE". IF they don't respect me, they certainly are not going to respect my boarders.
     
    10-18-2010, 01:36 PM
  #17
Trained
[QUOTE=mls;786159]

I agree with AB - when I am present in the turnout - they CANNOT kick, bite chase, etc If any of them start acting up I loudly say "PEOPLE". IF they don't respect me, they certainly are not going to respect my boarders.[/QUOTE]

X2

No the horses don't have human sensibilities/instincts. But my aggressive gelding knows better than to act aggressive with people in the paddock/pasture. I am the boss, not him and I am not something to be "fought" over. That is the attitude you need to have. Not "well they're fighting over me so I better be careful and stay out of the way."
     
    10-18-2010, 01:40 PM
  #18
Banned
Thank you MLS and MN.

That is what I was trying to say. You both said it better than I did.
     
    10-18-2010, 02:07 PM
  #19
Foal
Its catching it at the right time and making sure they understand that its the behavious they are showing to you AND other horses that is wrong and unacceptable, personally the one that kicks, I would not feed first and allow her to dictate what happens, I would feed them at the same time, and if she does not like it, she can wait.
I have 5 hoses/ ponies and they have had the same treatment, now not one would even think about kicking, even my 2 year old stallion.
Just don't be scared to make a hideous noise to scare them back ...... and once you have shouted/ smacked....dont give them cuddles and kisses after......it just cancells al the disipline!!!
Good luck tho!!!
     
    10-18-2010, 02:38 PM
  #20
Foal
[quote=MN Tigerstripes;786174]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls    

I agree with AB - when I am present in the turnout - they CANNOT kick, bite chase, etc If any of them start acting up I loudly say "PEOPLE". IF they don't respect me, they certainly are not going to respect my boarders.[/QUOTE]

X2

No the horses don't have human sensibilities/instincts. But my aggressive gelding knows better than to act aggressive with people in the paddock/pasture. I am the boss, not him and I am not something to be "fought" over. That is the attitude you need to have. Not "well they're fighting over me so I better be careful and stay out of the way."

Why is what I am saying being misconstrued...? Not once have I said that it was tolerable, nor have I said that 'they are fighting over me so I better careful and stay out of the way'..however it would be advisable to be cautious...after all it is an animal...Please read what I am saying....I was merely asking if they may have been another reason for the behavior other than labeling the pony aggressive towards humans...That doesnt mean I find it acceptable at all...
     

Tags
ears back, kick, pony

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
She freakin' kicked me! ilovemyPhillip Horse Talk 12 01-19-2010 06:19 PM
Well, I got kicked... Britt Horse Talk 2 12-23-2009 07:37 PM
I got kicked in the knee! whitetrashwarmblood General Off Topic Discussion 15 08-06-2009 12:29 PM
I got kicked :-( steph Horse Talk 5 10-20-2008 03:28 PM
I got kicked out!! HorsesAreForever Horse Talk 5 06-30-2008 09:43 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0