posting issue
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

posting issue

This is a discussion on posting issue within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        05-08-2008, 04:23 PM
      #1
    Foal
    posting issue

    This has nothing to do with my horse, it has to do with me.

    When I post I post unevenly with my hips. Is there any way to change that? I don't want to get marked down in shows or screw up my horse's back!
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        05-08-2008, 04:26 PM
      #2
    Green Broke
    I would try bareback riding/ posting both at the walk and at the jog. Once you are comfortable with that, post the trot.

    If you aren't comfortable riding bareback, just drop your irons and post the walk and jog - be sure that you are only rising from your knees and thighs, and not pulling your self up with your shoulders (or one hip at a time )

    Good luck !!!!!
         
        05-08-2008, 04:37 PM
      #3
    Showing
    I also would suggest riding bareback. It helps a lot with balance & posture. ;)
         
        05-25-2008, 04:00 AM
      #4
    Foal
    posting

    I had a rider who did the same thing. After checking to see if her stirrups were even, she went to the chiropractor and found she needed a little work on her back and hips. Now she's straight as an arrow.
         
        05-25-2008, 05:23 AM
      #5
    Trained
    What do you mean by posting unevenly with your hips? I don't think I get exactly what you mean
         
        05-26-2008, 03:27 PM
      #6
    Foal
    First of all, to get your balance better try riding your horse BAREBACK, or with out stirrups.
    This will help you to rely mostly on your KNEES to post. Which is what you should be doing.
    When you rely on your stirrups you often times don't distribute your weight evenly and ETC.

    So try riding with no stirrups and/or bareback for a few rides. Mostly posting [although it will do you wonders to try loping with out stirrups/bareback to help your equitation]

    And ALWAYS remember that you need to be UP while your horses inside leg goes up and when that leg goes down, you need to be down. RIGHT on cue.

    GOOD LUCK!
         
        05-26-2008, 04:07 PM
      #7
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by notorious_
    first of all, to get your balance better try riding your horse BAREBACK, or with out stirrups.
    This will help you to rely mostly on your KNEES to post. Which is what you should be doing.
    When you rely on your stirrups you often times don't distribute your weight evenly and ETC.

    So try riding with no stirrups and/or bareback for a few rides. Mostly posting [although it will do you wonders to try loping with out stirrups/bareback to help your equitation]

    And ALWAYS remember that you need to be UP while your horses inside leg goes up and when that leg goes down, you need to be down. RIGHT on cue.

    GOOD LUCK!
    yupp, other people have suggested that but thanks!

    And I'm pretty sure you rise with the outside leg.
         
        05-26-2008, 04:51 PM
      #8
    Yearling
    Re: posting

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dustytrailzz
    I had a rider who did the same thing. After checking to see if her stirrups were even, she went to the chiropractor and found she needed a little work on her back and hips. Now she's straight as an arrow.
    I second this. Posting with one hip higher than the other is often a sign that your body is out of alignment. More so than being off balance.
         
        05-27-2008, 01:37 AM
      #9
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saraequestrian
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by notorious_
    first of all, to get your balance better try riding your horse BAREBACK, or with out stirrups.
    This will help you to rely mostly on your KNEES to post. Which is what you should be doing.
    When you rely on your stirrups you often times don't distribute your weight evenly and ETC.

    So try riding with no stirrups and/or bareback for a few rides. Mostly posting [although it will do you wonders to try loping with out stirrups/bareback to help your equitation]

    And ALWAYS remember that you need to be UP while your horses inside leg goes up and when that leg goes down, you need to be down. RIGHT on cue.

    GOOD LUCK!
    yupp, other people have suggested that but thanks!

    And I'm pretty sure you rise with the outside leg.
    you sure do :) I had some confusion about this a while ago as I have now been told both ways by different riding associations but you do rise with the outside leg moving forward
         
        05-27-2008, 11:07 PM
      #10
    Foal
    I actually learned by looking at the inside shoulder as well and have taught all of my students that way. When the inside shoulder is "up"...meaning that foot is on the ground, you are "up".

    I have also heard a cute saying though for teaching trotting diagonals by looking at the outside shoulder. I think instructors teach the way they were taught for the most part, but for instructors teaching outside shoulder...."Rise and fall with the one on the wall." Helps kids remember to always look at the outside shoulder or the one closest to the wall.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:05 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0