Problem Pony!
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Problem Pony!

This is a discussion on Problem Pony! within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Shetland pony leg problems
  • Pony hates kids

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-09-2012, 02:31 AM
  #1
Foal
Problem Pony!

The horse I ride for my weekly lessons is a big sweetheart. Problem is, during her other lessons, she's being ridden by little kids. Because of this, she's become really desensitized to my cues, verbal or physical. I'm reluctant to use a crop and I will NOT use spurs, I was just wondering what I could do to have her respond to my cues a little better.

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-09-2012, 05:50 PM
  #2
Foal
Are there no other horses available for you to ride? Why are you hesitant to use a crop and spurs? Neither are harsh provided you know how to use them. I ride all of my horses in spurs just so I have the option if I need to put it on.

Anyway...carry a crop. Ask your pony to go up to trot once with your leg. If he doesn't respond, put your reins in one hand and smack his firmly with the crop behind your leg. The crop is NOT a tool of abuse - it's an extension of your leg.

He needs to learn that leg means go. However, I caution that he's a SCHOOL horse. He's meant to have inexperienced riders on his back that don't yet know how to effectively use their leg. As I said earlier, look into other possible mounts.
Fulford15 likes this.
     
    11-09-2012, 07:16 PM
  #3
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by showjumper09    
Are there no other horses available for you to ride? Why are you hesitant to use a crop and spurs? Neither are harsh provided you know how to use them. I ride all of my horses in spurs just so I have the option if I need to put it on.

Anyway...carry a crop. Ask your pony to go up to trot once with your leg. If he doesn't respond, put your reins in one hand and smack his firmly with the crop behind your leg. The crop is NOT a tool of abuse - it's an extension of your leg.

He needs to learn that leg means go. However, I caution that he's a SCHOOL horse. He's meant to have inexperienced riders on his back that don't yet know how to effectively use their leg. As I said earlier, look into other possible mounts.
There are other horses, but this is the one that I like to ride. Plus, all of them are lessons horses, so it wouldn't really matter.

The thing is, because she's ridden by little kids, she really dislikes the crop because they overuse it. And I don't want her to become more crop dependent, as she is now. The only way I can get her to go nowadays is if I have a dressage whip, and she hates it.

I was looking for a way to maybe reverse the desensitization, and I will try what you said with cropping her if she doesn't listen to my leg cues.

Another peeve that I have about crop and spurs is that if you use them all the time, you become so dependent on them that you can't get them to go without it. I realized this while watching other people ride, most the people I know probably can't even get the horse to canter without a crop in their hands. I don't want to become like that.

Thank you though, I will try what you said : )
     
    11-09-2012, 07:18 PM
  #4
Teen Forum Moderator
Honestly, as sad as it is for you, if she is being ridden by little kids she is most likely not going to get much better. To lighten them up to your signals you need consistancy, which is not what she is going to get..
     
    11-09-2012, 07:31 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endiku    
Honestly, as sad as it is for you, if she is being ridden by little kids she is most likely not going to get much better. To lighten them up to your signals you need consistancy, which is not what she is going to get..
I'm trying to ride her more often, or at least come by to visit her more. And she's starting to recognize me now, so I guess that's one step. I see where you're going though, I'm going to try to buy her as soon as I can so she can stop getting her bit yanked :( her mouth is starting to callous.
     
    11-09-2012, 08:04 PM
  #6
Teen Forum Moderator
Hopefully you can do that! It takes a real saint of a horse to be a beginners lesson animal, not many of them cope with it very well. Especially when trainers are letting the kids use whips o.o
     
    11-09-2012, 08:30 PM
  #7
Foal
She is a real trooper, and when I direct lessons on her I never give the kids crops and I make sure they treat her right. Most of those prissy horse kids treat horses like tools, not animals. Doesnt help much when the trainer aint the most gentle person either... she's very physical with the horses.

But I'll do what I can to try and fix her problem so I don't have to use a crop. Thanks for all yoursuggestions :)
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    11-09-2012, 08:50 PM
  #8
Foal
hope this helps

Hi, im new. I have had the same problem. You can't really do much unless you can say that no one else rides the horse except you. But if you can go out several days and ride the pony as often as possible you can make a big impact. But the cofusion of the kids riding the pony and you will still be a problem with your enjoyment of how your cues impact the pony. When we got my horse she was being ridden by other kids to keep the board money down. But I hated it because she got problems. Taking off, speeding through courses,coming to the middle, haveing a tough mouth(not fixable). But with some work she got better. We ended up selling her though. Because she kept getting bad habits from beginer riders. Just try to ride the pony more and maybe it will help.
     
    11-10-2012, 12:55 AM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by beju22    
Hi, im new. I have had the same problem. You can't really do much unless you can say that no one else rides the horse except you. But if you can go out several days and ride the pony as often as possible you can make a big impact. But the cofusion of the kids riding the pony and you will still be a problem with your enjoyment of how your cues impact the pony. When we got my horse she was being ridden by other kids to keep the board money down. But I hated it because she got problems. Taking off, speeding through courses,coming to the middle, haveing a tough mouth(not fixable). But with some work she got better. We ended up selling her though. Because she kept getting bad habits from beginer riders. Just try to ride the pony more and maybe it will help.
I'll defiantly try, but she IS a lesson pony, and she's a great one too because she can do the real real beginners, and the beginner jumpers on cross rails, so she's used a lot. Thanks though : )
     
    11-10-2012, 01:25 AM
  #10
Banned
I'm thinking you should do a search of the forum for threads about crops and spurs.....they are a very useful training tool if used correctly....some horses don't like the crop BECAUSE they are being told what to do and have to quit being lazy. Dependence on spurs and whips are one thing....training with them is a totally different thing......I wear spurs (big long shanked reining spurs gasp!) and I hardly ever have to put them on my horse....and I use split reins, which can second as a crop if needed and I never have to use them in that capacity....

It's a matter of retraining the horse to repspect your cues......she hates the dressage whip because it means she has to do as she's told.....don't blame the little kids who have lessons on her, horses know who's sitting on their back....
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem Pony Ashlee19 English Riding 5 11-01-2010 01:41 PM
help me friend & her pony problem sarahsky Horse Riding 3 10-18-2010 11:14 PM
Problem pony! Ideas needed :) Super Sam Horse Training 5 11-30-2009 05:19 PM
Problem pony!! -xx-sally-xx- Horse Training 16 08-25-2009 06:21 AM
Shetland pony problem pauljordanuk Horse Training 1 06-22-2009 11:41 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0