Problems with the bit. - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Problems with the bit.

This is a discussion on Problems with the bit. within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree25Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-20-2013, 09:24 PM
      #11
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GotaDunQH    
    But when were the LAST time his teeth were done? They NEED to be done every year...and I prefer an actual dentist because their schooling on teeth is longer than a vet's.
    I disagree with this. I have 2 horses, 11 and 12, and they have never had their teeth done. No complications, not discomfort, no problems.

    And I Another horse went 12 years without having teeth done. Even then, they were not bad at all. I have a 6 year old that's had her teeth done twice in 1 year. So...It all depends on the horse.
    I
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-21-2013, 07:50 AM
      #12
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CLaPorte432    
    I disagree with this. I have 2 horses, 11 and 12, and they have never had their teeth done. No complications, not discomfort, no problems.

    And I Another horse went 12 years without having teeth done. Even then, they were not bad at all. I have a 6 year old that's had her teeth done twice in 1 year. So...It all depends on the horse.
    I
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Have they been checked yearly to see that they don't need floating?
    Palomine and PunksTank like this.
         
        08-21-2013, 08:53 AM
      #13
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FirstCyte    
    So I recently bought a twisted full cheek snaffle and he will not open his mouth to save his life anymore.
    No offense, but I wouldn't open either. Using harsher bit to substitute training is NEVER an answer. In fact in your case it clearly made the problem worse.

    If the pain and teeth were ruled out (as it sounds) I'd 1) try bitless (some horses only ride in bitless successfully for whatever reason) and 2) I'd talk to the good trainer to see what he/she has to say.
    PunksTank, CowboyBob and xdressage like this.
         
        08-21-2013, 08:54 AM
      #14
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GotaDunQH    
    But when were the LAST time his teeth were done? They NEED to be done every year...and I prefer an actual dentist because their schooling on teeth is longer than a vet's.
    She said in her 2nd or 3rd post that vet just checked the horse including the teeth. So based on the statement pain was ruled out.

    BTW, there are vets out there who specialized in teeth too. I used one for while myself...
         
        08-21-2013, 09:44 AM
      #15
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GotaDunQH    
    Have they been checked yearly to see that they don't need floating?
    My vet checks yearly with spring shots. She has excessive training in equine dentistry.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    KigerQueen likes this.
         
        08-21-2013, 09:44 AM
      #16
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kitten_Val    
    She said in her 2nd or 3rd post that vet just checked the horse including the teeth. So based on the statement pain was ruled out.

    BTW, there are vets out there who specialized in teeth too. I used one for while myself...
    Yes, but it is impossible to tell what the back teeth are like without a speculum. I've had a vet tell me "oh his teeth are fine" when actually the back molars weren't even touching. No word of a lie. Vet just stuck his hand up as far sait could go and said "he's fine." I got a dentist out not long after who said his mouth was a mess (not conformationally, but the teeth needed a lot of work) and he'd likely never had a float done. Poor dude's back teeth on one side weren't touching. I'm ever glad I trusted my gut on that one.
    Palomine and GotaDunQH like this.
         
        08-21-2013, 09:47 AM
      #17
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CLaPorte432    
    My vet checks yearly with spring shots. She has excessive training in equine dentistry.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Does she open their mouths with a speculum and really check, or just run her fingers along and try to get a feel? I find it extremely hard to believe that two of your horses don't need dental work. I've yet to see one horse not need at least a few sharp points removed yearly.
    Palomine likes this.
         
        08-21-2013, 09:49 AM
      #18
    Trained
    Speculum is included in the check. Every year. Flashlight on top of head, mouth wide open. 3 Of my horses just stand there. Then there's my six year old...she requires sedation.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        08-21-2013, 11:28 AM
      #19
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustDressageIt    
    Yes, but it is impossible to tell what the back teeth are like without a speculum. I've had a vet tell me "oh his teeth are fine" when actually the back molars weren't even touching. No word of a lie. Vet just stuck his hand up as far sait could go and said "he's fine." I got a dentist out not long after who said his mouth was a mess (not conformationally, but the teeth needed a lot of work) and he'd likely never had a float done. Poor dude's back teeth on one side weren't touching. I'm ever glad I trusted my gut on that one.
    Good point about the correct check. Mine are floated every year (I've never had a vet or dentist to tell me "they are fine" I guess, I'm not that lucky).
    GotaDunQH likes this.
         
        08-21-2013, 11:54 AM
      #20
    Green Broke
    You need to get over the "horse is really sweet" mindset. Horse is "sweet" because it suits it at that particular moment to do what is being asked. If it doesn't suit horse? Then you will see the real horse.

    Which is what is happening here.

    I would say most of this is you. Horse has figured out you don't know what you are doing, how to do it, and can't make horse behave in any way.

    You may have caused the bit issues because you banged teeth, or drug bridle through eyes, or hurt ears? Or bridle may not fit period, browband too small, too small period, or bit is.

    But your best and safest route is to find someone and take lessons.
    PunksTank and CowboyBob like this.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Bit Problems! Please Help! LexiMyBabyGirl Horse Training 38 06-01-2013 02:47 AM
    Bit problems?? SarahandDallas Horse Riding 1 05-30-2013 09:51 PM
    Having problems with bit zamie8666 Horse Talk 9 08-03-2012 02:25 AM
    How long does it take for a horse to adjust to new bit? and the problems with old bit manca Horse Training 11 06-30-2011 04:32 PM
    Bit problems... secretmolly Horse Training 7 09-10-2009 11:53 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:32 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0