Okay... I will try and make this as simple / short as possible. I go to a school (actual school, not riding school) who has this horse. (Out of 5.) He is the best thing to me. Thing is, he's abused there. He will get cut or injured and it'll be neglected for a week before I get to see him and notice. He's over weight as well, and isn't fed balanced at all. He's fat, but his coat is dull and his mane / tale has a hay texture. 2 months ago I told the school he needed his teeth floated, no one said anything. Finally today I got the vet out there (my other, nice, respectable teacher) and made him check his teeth. Yep! He has tons of sharp points and while he was rejecting the bit the past few weeks the other teacher would smack him and yank the reins HARD. Has foundered but still ridden excessively even when it flares up, has back problems that haven't been addressed, needs a good chiropractor get him adjusted, etc. But every medical issue he has is ignored and blamed on his 'attitude'.
I love this horse. He's the sweetest thing. He can read emotions like crazy, is a all around pleasure horse, and has SO much potential. He's over worked and has straight beginners on him flopping around, jabbing him, hurting his mouth and back, and have ruined the training I have put into him..
Here's the big kicker. I have been looking into purchasing for awhile now. I want to do Hunter Pleasure (flat), trails, and some Dressage. I don't want to do high levels, just small shows or schooling shows and for fun. I wanted to purchase a horse 100% trained in this, but haven't had the money up front yet. The school has no intention selling this horse, but I am confident with the relationship they see between us and a reasonable offer they will be ecstatic to have him go and replace him with another horse.
So, do I take him in, basically save him and give him the good (actually cared for) life and either retrain him (I put 6 months training him to be a show horse but now he's used for straight beginners who have ruined him) then sell him to a 100% approved home by me or keep him permanently? He's half-Arabian, and I do Arabian shows, so that's perfect, we click, know each other well, and I know he can do Sport horse or HP easily and would respond well to Dressage training. If I don't want him, I wouldn't mind rehoming him to a loving, understanding home and FULLY understand I won't make profit and may not break even.
Should I stick to a well-trained horse that I can immediately compete with and remember horses are working animals and they all cannot be 'saved', or should I take the plunge with him who has incredible potential and 'save' him?
Opinions, thoughts, stories, anything to help with the decision would be excellent! Thank you all!