The Pros and Cons of a One Person Horse? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 58 Old 03-04-2010, 11:52 AM
mls
Trained
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 5,464
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
A horse should be safe and comfortable with anyone. She can still be very in tune with you and you can be her safety; but not to you to the exclusion of anyone else.
Totally agree.

They don't have to love and adore others. It's the same concept of a child going to daycare or school, they have to respect those around them.
mls is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 58 Old 03-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 1,566
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeysuga View Post
I don't have that kind of problem with mine, they are respectful of anyone. What I mean is A) They work with everyone, but I know how to get that extra everything out of them. and B) I don't like anyone else on them. Hehe guess that would have been a better way of explaining it in the first place.
What she said. While my guy is fine for anyone to handle I am jealous of anyone but me riding him. He is personal, like my tooth brush, my wife, my car. Only I get to ride it.
He has enough confidence in himself to work for anyone.
RiosDad is offline  
post #13 of 58 Old 03-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,019
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiosDad View Post
What she said. While my guy is fine for anyone to handle I am jealous of anyone but me riding him. He is personal, like my tooth brush, my wife, my car. Only I get to ride it.
He has enough confidence in himself to work for anyone.
Ditto.
Athena has manners. I don't have to be there if the vet comes out to do shots, or if the farrier comes out to trim her feet, anyone can lead her around and handle her. Other people can ride her to but... I don't like it. lol


whitetrashwarmblood is offline  
post #14 of 58 Old 03-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Loudoun County, VA
Posts: 655
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiosDad View Post
What she said. While my guy is fine for anyone to handle I am jealous of anyone but me riding him. He is personal, like my tooth brush, my wife, my car. Only I get to ride it.
He has enough confidence in himself to work for anyone.
I agree! My mare was my personal horse, I was the only one that rode her, and we were perfectly in sync. The few occasions I let others ride her, I cringed the whole time.

"NOOOoooo!! She doesn't like that! You're doing it all wrong!"

Everytime she was ridden by someone else, it was generally because we were on a trail ride, and I was riding my other horse who was a trail master. After riding for about 10 minutes though, the jealousy would rise and I would force the friend to switch with me.

I don't think I'd want a horse that would only respond to me, but it was wonderful to have a horse that I was so in tune with and we both knew each other so well.

I currently have a dog that's afraid of everyone except me, and it's a pain in the butt. She's creepily obsessed with me, has to be near me all the time or she cries. I love her, but I wish she was more like my other dog who's very outgoing.

So yeah... it may be flattering to have a horse that is only loyal to one person, but I would imagine it would get old, since you'd have to be catering to the horse all the time.
ptvintage is offline  
post #15 of 58 Old 03-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: alberta
Posts: 2,747
• Horses: 1
I agree with everyone else, they need to have manners, what if something happened and you were all of a sudden in the hospital and someone else had to take care of her? at least if you were going on a trip or something you could make her familiar with someone before you left.
Rena is a one person horse, and it takes her a while to get used to strangers... when my trainer tryed teach her how to clip her ears she lunged back and then lunged forward and stuck her head in my chest, haha shes sorta a baby sometimes. but the vet and any stranger can come and lead her, do groundwork, and she will be ok with that. She doesnt like peopleriding her that dont ride like me or my mom, haha but she puts up with it when she needs to. because she wouldnt want to hurt anyone, haha and when i get on her after i let someone else ride her (which KILLS me to watch, haha i dont do it anymore) she was not happy with me at all.
but they need to be 'handler friendly' to anyone that comes near them. :)

If there are no horses in heaven... im not going.
ridergirl23 is offline  
post #16 of 58 Old 03-04-2010, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 23
• Horses: 2
In response to IRideHorses:

While I do understand what you are saying, excluding others from working with her was not a conscious thought. The fact of the matter is, there was no one else to work her. I come from a family where I am the sole charge of my horses. My parents keep them on our pasture and they buy the hay. Everything else falls on my shoulders physically, financially, what have you. Which is how i think it should be. I don't come from money, so the prospect of buying a horse trailer to take her places and gain experience is not feasible. Nor have I had any friends (up until I joined the equestrian team last month) that have had experience with horses whatsoever. The thought of asking these people, who have all proclaimed to be frightened of horses, to handle her never seemed like the greatest idea. But, Earlier this week I bit the bullet and enlisted the help of several of these close friends to come to my barn and interact with/stand near her. Maybe its short notice, maybe it won't work, but some effort is better than none.


The fact that I have done her this "injustice" does not fall on deaf ears. I think about it everyday, which is why I came here for answers. In regard to being a "responsible" horse owner...I'm not going to toot my own horn, but will merely say I've tried to do the best I can with what I've been given.



Hopefully this reply won't be the catalyst that sends this topic spinning off into a heated debate.
bearsareneat is offline  
post #17 of 58 Old 03-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 2,061
• Horses: 1
Arabs are known to be very possessive of their owners - indeed I am told that it is a desired trait that owners around the Mediterranean look for in a horse.

I personally do let certain individuals come near my mare
namely my wife and a young lady is who teaching my girlie "how to do show jumping". But the rules are the same for all of us, no shouting, no whips, no kicking - only gentle positive handling. The vet is allowed in close, as is the farrier or any other therapist but only in my presence.

My policy came about because I have watched my mare show distinct signs of distress when certain humans are near her. And why should I even consider letting a fight /or/ flight creature come near vexatious people.
If I am doing my best to keep my horse in a quiet and calm environment, the last thing I want is one of those heavy handed, loud voiced, ignorant people to come near her. Just what good could it do?

My male dog (a very gentle Rottweiler) is the best judge of human character I know, but my horse comes a close second. If she shows by her eyes, ears, mouth, neck
or posture she is nervous around someone, then I know to take care. However if she will stand close by an individual without moving then I know she is content with that person. I then feel easy.

Man is the key predator of horses - and horses know it.
B G
xxBarry Godden is offline  
post #18 of 58 Old 03-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Duloc (From Shrek)
Posts: 291
• Horses: 2
Havana is a one person horse. Probably because her past owners were *horrible* I don't ride her, but if anyone else wants to lead, groom, take pictures of, TOUCH her she'll start kicking. Or biting. I don't find it a problem because I'm the only one that takes care of her...but I can see where it would be a problem with other horses. I like one person horses, not as severe as Havana, but I still like them.

Good people get cheated, just as good horses get ridden
jiblethead is offline  
post #19 of 58 Old 03-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsareneat View Post
The fact that I have done her this "injustice" does not fall on deaf ears. I think about it everyday, which is why I came here for answers. In regard to being a "responsible" horse owner...I'm not going to toot my own horn, but will merely say I've tried to do the best I can with what I've been given.
That is an excellent attitude. Not having the means to have others handle your horse is different then not allowing them to.

I've only had Hollywood for about 4 or 5 months and he is slowly forming a bond with me. Since no one in my family rides but me, no one else handles or feeds him. He is so push button that I can't put a beginner on him without the risk of them giving him a cue without realizing what they did and him doing what he thought they wanted. I am very very selective about who I allow to ride him but I want as many people as possible to be able to handle him.

As several others have said, I am very jealous of anyone else riding him but I know it is for the best. I want him to feel safety, and a reliance with me but still comfortable with others.

Does that make sense?

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #20 of 58 Old 03-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Massachussetts
Posts: 562
• Horses: 1
my horse is a one person horse. hes very lovey and sweet to me, and does anything i ask of him. he comes when hes called, follows me around, neighs when i come near him and is very gentle.

when someone else tries working with him, hes a complete brute. he bears his teeth,flattens his ears back, lounges at other people, bites and kicks, if they try handling him in a asle way, he smashes them against the walls, and so on.

i trust him as much as on can trust a horse, but i know he can never be a good multiple person horse.

the only con is, i dont think i could ever sell him even if i had to
heyycutter is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bitless bridles- young horse? pros/cons-need help!! Go The Distance Horse Tack and Equipment 14 12-14-2009 08:43 PM
Pros and cons of leasing a horse... mandersloveshorses Horses for Sale 7 10-02-2009 11:16 AM
Pros and Cons of leasing appylover31803 Horses for Sale 15 01-07-2009 04:59 PM
pros & cons for rye grass destnee Horse Health 2 10-19-2008 04:13 PM
Pros and cons of not owning a horse claireauriga Horse Talk 11 08-19-2008 05:22 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome