PUTTING ON THE BRIDLE - The Horse Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-05-2008, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 15
• Horses: 0
PUTTING ON THE BRIDLE

Hi, I was weondering if anyone could help or they may have problems when putting on the bridle?

My horse swings his head around but as soon as it's on he is fine!

Can anyone suggest what the problem may be?

Many thanks
purple duck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 06-05-2008, 07:30 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SE Kansas
Posts: 10,619
• Horses: 5
There are several things that can cause it. Maybe his teeth hurt (needs them floated). Are you banging his teeth when you put the bit in and take it out? That can make a horse not want to take the bit. I keep a horse cookie in the same hand with the bit. When the bit goes in so does the cookie. I've really cut back on my cookie giving so this is the only time she gets one. She practicly grabs the bit and puts it on herself I know that's a quick fix but it works for me.


"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened..."
- Anatole France
Vidaloco is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 06-05-2008, 08:18 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SE Kansas
Posts: 10,619
• Horses: 5
I moved your post to the training section. You will probably get more responses there.


"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened..."
- Anatole France
Vidaloco is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 06-05-2008, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 15
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidaloco
I moved your post to the training section. You will probably get more responses there.
Thanks a lot, I wondered how to do that!
purple duck is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 06-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 11,772
• Horses: 0
Is he swinging his head and then goes into a headset fine? Could you explain your situation a little more? Another thing: HOW are you asking for the headset?
The first thing that popped into my head was: are you see-sawing your hands, or have you ever? (moving your hands back and forth like a saw)


The lovely images above provided by CVLC Photography cvlphotography.com
JustDressageIt is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 06-05-2008, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 15
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDressageIt
Is he swinging his head and then goes into a headset fine? Could you explain your situation a little more? Another thing: HOW are you asking for the headset?
The first thing that popped into my head was: are you see-sawing your hands, or have you ever? (moving your hands back and forth like a saw)
He allows the bit in fine but then as soon as you go up to the ears he swings his head from side to side and up and down and you have to put it over his ears while he is swinging it about and then when it's on he is fine, when you say see-saw my hands what do you mean???????
purple duck is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 06-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 11,772
• Horses: 0
WOW! Now I feel dumb! I thought you meant getting your horse "on the bridle" as in, in a headset... not the actual physical application of the bridle!!
Some horses hate having a bridle put on. Here are some tips:
- check the teeth and see if they need floating; if the bit is banging on un-floated teeth, it may hurt
- hold the bridle above the nose rather than above the ears, this way you can control the nose (like at 0:25 of this video, but instead of already having the headstall on, you would hold the rest of the headstall in your right hand http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuXSp76hq9U ) Then keep a grip on his nose while you bring the bridle up and over the ears.
- Make sure you can touch his ears all over without putting a bridle on.
- Make sure the bit isn't too tight in his mouth, it might hurt while you bring the headstall up.

Hopefully this helped!


The lovely images above provided by CVLC Photography cvlphotography.com
JustDressageIt is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 06-05-2008, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 15
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDressageIt
WOW! Now I feel dumb! I thought you meant getting your horse "on the bridle" as in, in a headset... not the actual physical application of the bridle!!
Some horses hate having a bridle put on. Here are some tips:
- check the teeth and see if they need floating; if the bit is banging on un-floated teeth, it may hurt
- hold the bridle above the nose rather than above the ears, this way you can control the nose (like at 0:25 of this video, but instead of already having the headstall on, you would hold the rest of the headstall in your right hand http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuXSp76hq9U ) Then keep a grip on his nose while you bring the bridle up and over the ears.
- Make sure you can touch his ears all over without putting a bridle on.
- Make sure the bit isn't too tight in his mouth, it might hurt while you bring the headstall up.

Hopefully this helped!
Sorry, I didn't explain that well in the first one!! I am having his teeth rasped soon and also I will get the vet to check his ears!! Thanks for that info, his bit is fitting ok, the girl who had him previous really used to pull on his mouth during riding, so Maybe I should put the bit in his mouth first wait until he has settled and then try it over the ears she if that helps!
purple duck is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome