Rearing Whilst Mounting???
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Rearing Whilst Mounting???

This is a discussion on Rearing Whilst Mounting??? within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Rearing while mounting horse
  • Rearing horses when mounting

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-21-2009, 07:56 PM
  #1
Foal
Rearing Whilst Mounting???

Hello,
I've recently started riding a friends horse who hasn't been worked for about a year.
Every time I try to mount her she rears up and even when I hold her reins just leading her or holding her still she rears up. However when mounted she works very well and does not play up much.

Just wondering if anyone knows why she may be behaving like this?

Thanks Brooke.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-21-2009, 08:01 PM
  #2
Weanling
It could be she's afraid of someone plopping down in the saddle whilst maybe causing her pain in her back. I would try to help ease her mind perhaps with a peppermint right about when ur about to get one. And remember to sit down gently.
     
    05-21-2009, 08:07 PM
  #3
Foal
Thank you for your suggestion

I tried with a carrot today but she just didnt want to know, I don't think she is doing agressively because when she rears her ears prick forward and just stands there waiting for me to try again.
     
    05-21-2009, 08:10 PM
  #4
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by greta92    
Thank you for your suggestion

I tried with a carrot today but she just didnt want to know, I don't think she is doing agressively because when she rears her ears prick forward and just stands there waiting for me to try again.
Yeah it sounds like its a back issue maybe. Is she like really stiff and the beginning? Then loosens up?
     
    05-21-2009, 08:19 PM
  #5
Foal
No, she's not stiff at all, although she becomes more relaxed towards the end of her ride.
I can't figure out whats wrong with her, and I know that any kind of rearing is considered dangerous.
She dosent have much emotion, I went to groom her today and she dosent really respond to me or any other human, i've only known her for 2/3 weeks now.
     
    05-21-2009, 08:50 PM
  #6
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by greta92    
No, she's not stiff at all, although she becomes more relaxed towards the end of her ride.
I can't figure out whats wrong with her, and I know that any kind of rearing is considered dangerous.
She dosent have much emotion, I went to groom her today and she dosent really respond to me or any other human, i've only known her for 2/3 weeks now.
Well she may need time to trust you and get to know you. That might be a contributing factor. Could be also any anticipatory thing. I would try to help her relax by talking to her while riding and giving pats. She may need some time to get back in the groove.
     
    05-21-2009, 09:04 PM
  #7
Foal
Yes I reckon so to, just hope its not a health issue of any sort.
She rushes alot in the trot but as soon as I use my voice and 'woah' and 'steady girl' her and begins to move nicely.
Going to see her tomorrow and hopefully we will have a better experience mounting together.

Thanks for all your help
     
    05-21-2009, 09:08 PM
  #8
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by greta92    
Yes I reckon so to, just hope its not a health issue of any sort.
She rushes alot in the trot but as soon as I use my voice and 'woah' and 'steady girl' her and begins to move nicely.
Going to see her tomorrow and hopefully we will have a better experience mounting together.

Thanks for all your help
Your very welcome! Goodluck! Update!
     
    05-21-2009, 09:21 PM
  #9
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by greta92    
No, she's not stiff at all, although she becomes more relaxed towards the end of her ride.
I can't figure out whats wrong with her, and I know that any kind of rearing is considered dangerous.
She dosent have much emotion, I went to groom her today and she dosent really respond to me or any other human, i've only known her for 2/3 weeks now.

She may in fact have a cold back. My boy has a cold back and if not warmed up just right will rear. Took a bit to figure him out. Most cold backed horses are not trying to actually get you off but their back is stiff and needs warming or exercising first....then they are good to go.
     
    05-21-2009, 09:27 PM
  #10
Showing
Cold back was my first guess too, Spyder.
I suggest lunging for 10 mins at all paces before trying to mount and see if that helps. If the horse has a cold back, it can be painful for her to carry a rider; getting the muscles warmed up will usually solve that problem right away.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mounting bareback Ne0n Zero Horse Riding 20 03-25-2009 02:37 PM
kicking while mounting booner Horse Training 12 11-29-2008 09:04 PM
UGH! Mounting troubles! Help! Sky_Gypsy Horse Riding 5 09-19-2008 12:04 PM
Mounting Issues? luvmystandardbred27 Horse Training 7 11-19-2007 10:22 AM
mounting up KANSAS_TWISTER Horse Training 12 03-23-2007 02:47 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0