Riding bridleless - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Riding bridleless

This is a discussion on Riding bridleless within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        11-13-2009, 11:15 AM
      #21
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RiosDad    
    Rding brideless can become very uncomfortable. I have gone on rides with a small stiff rope hool a hoop and I got tired of my hand being held against the withers.
    Also good horseman ship forces me to get off at the head of the laneway, loosen the saddle and walk the horse in on foot . Leading with a hool a hoop around the neck was uncomfortable again.
    It is not a comfortable way to ride but if you want to show off I guess you can figure it out.
    I use to get the cows in the back forty, I carried a piece of baler twine in my pockets. The horses stayed with the cows so I just went up to one, slipped the twine around his neck and hoped aboard bareback and drove the cows home. I then slipped the twine and turned him loose once back at the barn.
    When I see people riding bareback and bridless I feel they are just fooling themselves , pretending to be one with the horse.
    You act as though your opinion is fact. For you, it is uncomfotable. In no way does that mean itis uncomfortable for everyone (or even most people) Nor does it mean people only ride that way is to "show off". I personally love the feeling of riding bareback, it is a great way to feel the horse move underneath you and really get a feel for how a ride affects their horse with their seat.

    To the OP-Have fun!
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        11-13-2009, 12:03 PM
      #22
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1dog3cats17rodents    
    You act as though your opinion is fact. For you, it is uncomfotable. In no way does that mean itis uncomfortable for everyone (or even most people) !
    Name one society that used the horse and rode bareback. Certainly not the indians, the romans or the mongolians.. They all made saddles out of tough skin. None of them mentioned rode bridleless either.
    This indians rode with a leather thong tightly tied around the lower jaw of the horse.
    I have never seen a person who can really ride bareback for any length of time. A 5 minute show in an arena is not something special. Good riders can hold it together for that long but a real working person never chooses bare back.
    Every really have a salt burn?? Riding bareback eventually chaffs the insides of the legs. Horses sweat is heavy in salt that is why at events you use electrolites, to replace the lost salt. The same salt that gets rubbed into your chaffed legs and burns like hell.
         
        11-13-2009, 12:13 PM
      #23
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RiosDad    
    Name one society that used the horse and rode bareback. Certainly not the indians, the romans or the mongolians.. They all made saddles out of tough skin. None of them mentioned rode bridleless either.
    This indians rode with a leather thong tightly tied around the lower jaw of the horse.
    I have never seen a person who can really ride bareback for any length of time. A 5 minute show in an arena is not something special. Good riders can hold it together for that long but a real working person never chooses bare back.
    Every really have a salt burn?? Riding bareback eventually chaffs the insides of the legs. Horses sweat is heavy in salt that is why at events you use electrolites, to replace the lost salt. The same salt that gets rubbed into your chaffed legs and burns like hell.

    The Greeks!
         
        11-13-2009, 12:53 PM
      #24
    Green Broke
    Lmao I love bareback I rode bareback for 1 month straight because my saddle wasnt fitting at the time and I didnt want to mess with it, I have a better seat bareback, I stick better. I can ride bareback in shorts or pants for over and hour.... and im fine.. sweat or not idc really I love to feel teh horse move under me. I've also gone on a 2 hour trail ride bareback....

    Sometimes ill use a bareback pad sometimes not.
         
        11-13-2009, 12:58 PM
      #25
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marecare    
    The Greeks!
    You got me there. I don't know what the Greeks rode in??
         
        11-13-2009, 01:03 PM
      #26
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RiosDad    
    You got me there. I don't know what the Greeks rode in??
    Greek saddles!!!
         
        11-13-2009, 01:05 PM
      #27
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
    Greek saddles!!!
    this is copied

    As I read along, I wondered what the Greeks used to cure monkey butt? Or did they even have to worry about it given their open air attire? How did they protect themselves from slamming on the withers to assure a future generation?
    All the glory must have some gory, right? And so, because of the need, the saddle was invented

    I found this interesting about the roman saddles
    http://www.caerleon.net/history/army/page9.html

    This is also interesting
    http://lostfort.blogspot.com/2007/07/roman-saddles.html
         
        11-13-2009, 01:12 PM
      #28
    Trained
    It seems I was mistaken about greeks. They didn't use saddles. They were not great horseman either. They used bits with spikes on them and several other things that today's horseman would be outraged at.

    Horse and Rider: Equipment
         
        11-13-2009, 01:43 PM
      #29
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
    It seems I was mistaken about greeks. They didn't use saddles. They were not great horseman either. They used bits with spikes on them and several other things that today's horseman would be outraged at.

    Horse and Rider: Equipment

    Kevin I found this interesting. I copied this from your link..
    It does mention limited control? I assume referring to the lack of saddle.
    The interesting part was the use of a snaffle bit causing high headedness??


    Though modern riding has a vast array of bits, some decidedly harsh, Ancient Greek horsemen utilized mouthpieces that would be shunned by the modern rider. As Anderson points out, however, the Greek rider was without the benefit of an anchoring saddle or stirrups. Bits for the ridden horse were often quite harsh so that they might supplement the rider's limited control. Nevertheless, a vast array of bits seems to have been available; however, the Greeks never, it seems, developed the curb bit. The snaffle, which acts on the bars, corners and roof of the mouth was better suited to the Greeks, who favored high head carriage. Because of the upward pressure of a snaffle, it is more likely to incite a horse to raise its head rather than lower it; as such, the snaffle would be a Greek horseman's ideal means of control
         
        11-13-2009, 01:47 PM
      #30
    Banned
    Ths mongolian saddle
    KHALKHA SADDLE
         

    Tags
    bridleless, neck rope, riding bitless

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Little three year old riding bareback and bridleless Icrazyaboutu Horse Videos 23 10-23-2009 07:26 AM
    Stacey Westfall's Bridleless Riding SpiritJordanRivers Natural Horsemanship 7 06-18-2009 01:30 AM
    Bridleless Sixxofdiamonds Horse Videos 5 06-07-2009 10:16 PM
    Bitless and bridleless....yay SonnyWimps Horse Talk 8 05-20-2008 11:31 PM
    Bridleless PaintsandPintos70 Horse Training 39 01-21-2008 04:09 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:13 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0