Rope halters painful? - Page 3 - The Horse Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old 11-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 23,907
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_spot View Post
Honestly, it is my horses fault for not giving to pressure and fixing the situation. Sure, it was horrible, but accidents happen. Horses get hung up and die in nylon.leather halters - maybe you shouldn't use a halter at all?
Horse can get caught in fence and break the leg, so why to use fence at all? The point is IMO rope halter is not a good thing to use. I had a bad experience with it, so it's enough for me. And I just want to repeat that rope halter DOES burn the horse's skin whether people agree on that or not. May be in ring with really strong headed horse yes to use one, but not on daily basis. Plus I don't really see the point of using it if the horse is behaving and leads well.

BTW, I NEVER consider the dangerous situation to be the horse's fault. They are not people and when they panic - they panic (well, people do too and create chaos killing others).
kitten_Val is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 31 Old 11-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 2,061
• Horses: 1
I have an American blue and white nylon rope halter which I have been using for 34 years. It fits every horse and the clip is simplicity itself.
It works both on the nose and on the poll - should that extra bit of control be needed.
Without a doubt it is the most cost effective piece of horse tack I have ever bought. The rope is approx half an inch in diameter. Thinner quarter inch diameter halters are available but perhaps for me they are a little too fierce. I prefer my half inch halter.

Having owned in the past horses prone to pull I find that I can resist the animal trying to drag me along - as some horses can if all they have to combat is an inch wide strip of leather or nylon which will lie flat against the nose or head.

Getting a horse to follow at the shoulder with the minimum of pressure on the lead rope I feel to be the very first requirement when training a new horse. My blue and white has helped me to achieve that on many horses.

As I remember I bought it in Cutter Bill's in Houston in 1975.

Buy one, but learn how to use it properly. It is a communication aid and not just a restraint.

B G
xxBarry Godden is offline  
post #23 of 31 Old 11-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,179
• Horses: 4
Quote:
BTW, I NEVER consider the dangerous situation to be the horse's fault. They are not people and when they panic - they panic (well, people do too and create chaos killing others).
*sigh* you misunderstood. I was saying the horses fault as opposed to the halters fault - Not that it was the horses fault for panicking.

wild_spot is offline  
post #24 of 31 Old 11-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 23,907
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_spot View Post
*sigh* you misunderstood. I was saying the horses fault as opposed to the halters fault - Not that it was the horses fault for panicking.
I guess I misunderstood you first time.
kitten_Val is offline  
post #25 of 31 Old 11-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Posts: 965
• Horses: 2
I have honeslty, never used a rope halter for the simple fact that I don't know how to tie that knot and plus I just bought the cutest, neon pink, nylon halter for my mare. It looks amazing on her. I don't use it when in training her though, I prefer to use the dually halter she responds great to it. She responds great to any halter because she is from the Impressive bloodlines which were bred for being halter horses, so she gives extremely well to pressure on the face with any halter. Although my other horse, Pecho, could use the rope halter, he breaks though any pressure on his face and he is so hard to stop when being led. He's 21 and gets babied too much, but not by me lol.

- If today was your last day, and tomorrow was too late, could you say goodbye to yesterday?
PechosGoldenChance is offline  
post #26 of 31 Old 11-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 4,510
• Horses: 2
I think rope halters definitely have their place and I don't find them cruel whatsoever - it's all how you use it. Almost all our mares use regular nylon halters because they're well trained. However, I was having serious space issues with my 2 year old filly and my rope halter has been a godsend. It's prevented me from having to use more "severe" tactics because the nylon halter simply wasn't cutting it - she's fairly unsensitive to begin with and she simply ignored a nylon halter. I tie her to a bindetwine loop on the fence anyway, so I am unconcerned about it causing any burn marks. If something happened, the twine would break first anyway.

She's an entirely different horse now with her ground manners, and it never resulted in me having to abuse her with the halter (yanking her around). It just allowed me to use much less force to get my point across and have her paying attention to me.

In my opinion, anyone who regards a piece of equipment as cruel obviously doesn't know how to use it. Any piece of equipment used improperly can be cruel.

Quote:
I hope God tells her to smash her computer with a sledgehammer.

MacabreMikolaj is offline  
post #27 of 31 Old 11-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Posts: 965
• Horses: 2
I agree with macabre and the other person who said that if someone thinks something is cruel to a horse, it's because they don't know how to use it properly.

- If today was your last day, and tomorrow was too late, could you say goodbye to yesterday?
PechosGoldenChance is offline  
post #28 of 31 Old 11-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Higgins, TX. YeeHaw!!
Posts: 22,112
• Horses: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by themacpack View Post
ANY item, improperly used, can be a problem item. Used properly, rope halters are no more OR less dangerous than any other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacabreMikolaj View Post
In my opinion, anyone who regards a piece of equipment as cruel obviously doesn't know how to use it. Any piece of equipment used improperly can be cruel.

Couldn't agree more. I use rope halters not because I need the use of pressure points, but because they are more sensible for me. There is no metal to rust or break at bad times, the signals are more clear, and there is that availability of a little bite IF I should ever need it. I usually don't even need to put any pressure at all on my halters to get my point across to my horses. A well trained horse should be just as responsive if you have a piece of thin cotton string around their head. As my Dad always says, "It's not what you put ON a horse's head, it's what you put IN their head that matters."

Always remember that feeling of looking at a big, open country over the ears of a good horse, seeing a new trail unwind ahead of you, and that ever-spectacular view from the top of the ridge!!! Follow my training blog: http://robertsontraining.blogspot.com/
smrobs is offline  
post #29 of 31 Old 11-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 62
• Horses: 1
Truthfully, I LOVE Rope Halters :)
My horse is bad at leading, so on his bad days I throw a rope halter on him, It just hits a couple pressure points so then he will listen, it is no worse then a bridle, both hit pressure points, and just work them till they are a bit softer and not rough, I've never heard of them giving the horse rope burn, and they snap easier then the nylon halters, so if your horse DOES freak, they will just snap it.
Hope that helps : )
Hunter is offline  
post #30 of 31 Old 11-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 5,455
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Truthfully, I LOVE Rope Halters :)
My horse is bad at leading, so on his bad days I throw a rope halter on him, It just hits a couple pressure points so then he will listen, it is no worse then a bridle, both hit pressure points, and just work them till they are a bit softer and not rough, I've never heard of them giving the horse rope burn, and they snap easier then the nylon halters, so if your horse DOES freak, they will just snap it.
Hope that helps : )
I have never ever, in the 20 years I have been using rope halters, ever ever seen one break. I think you don't know what you are talking about.

There's nothing like the Rockies in the springtime... Nothing like the freedom in the air... And there ain't nothing better than draggin calves to the fire and there's nothing like the smell of burning hair. -Brenn Hill
kevinshorses is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why Rope Halters? Velvetgrace Horse Training 9 07-30-2009 04:02 PM
Rope halters Aliboo Horse Tack and Equipment 13 04-14-2009 09:13 AM
rope halters BrwnEyedGrl Horse Training 21 09-13-2008 06:11 PM
Rope Halters! Abby Horse Tack and Equipment 17 02-19-2008 05:41 PM
ROPE HALTERS KANSAS_TWISTER Horse Tack and Equipment 1 09-25-2007 09:10 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome