Rubbing and other issues
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Rubbing and other issues

This is a discussion on Rubbing and other issues within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree4Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-22-2013, 07:38 PM
      #1
    Foal
    Rubbing and other issues

    Hey everyone I need some help any advice and help would be great. So my issues are, my mare Aurora, she is a black tobiano gypsy vanner, wont stop rubbing her head on me and sometimes it gets so bad she almost knocks me over and I try not to let her and I correct her for it but after a few minutes she starts doing it again and it hurts when she has a bridle on cause the bit hits me, she does it most with the a halter or bridle on. Also some other things she steps on my feet and paws the ground if she doesn't get her way. Anyone who could help I would love forever.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-22-2013, 08:31 PM
      #2
    Foal
    You first need to understand why she does the rubbing. Horses show dominance in a herd by getting the other horse to move their feet. When she rubs on you she is trying to move you and show her dominance. Continue to correct her every time she does it, even if it becomes a chore. Add on at the end making her move. You'll be showing her that she can't move you but you can move her. This can be simply by making her back up, to the side, whatever the environment allows you to do. Just stick with it. The stepping on your feet is her invading your space. She doesn't mean to do it but she should not be that close to you that it happens. Keep her out of your space. If she moves close to you without you asking, move her back. You'll need to do some groundwork with her to work on her awareness of your space. If you want her close to you, she needs to be invited in and then love up on her to show that it's ok if she's respectful to be close to you. Finally the pawing, this is usually an impatient habit horses use when board or not getting what they want. If she paws simply correct her, you can move her around for this too. I usually just give a deep, stern "quit" when a horse that I've been working with paws. This is after they've gotten use to me and my voice from training too.
    Spotted likes this.
         
        01-22-2013, 08:53 PM
      #3
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SRose    
    You first need to understand why she does the rubbing. Horses show dominance in a herd by getting the other horse to move their feet. When she rubs on you she is trying to move you and show her dominance. Continue to correct her every time she does it, even if it becomes a chore. Add on at the end making her move. You'll be showing her that she can't move you but you can move her. This can be simply by making her back up, to the side, whatever the environment allows you to do. Just stick with it. The stepping on your feet is her invading your space. She doesn't mean to do it but she should not be that close to you that it happens. Keep her out of your space. If she moves close to you without you asking, move her back. You'll need to do some groundwork with her to work on her awareness of your space. If you want her close to you, she needs to be invited in and then love up on her to show that it's ok if she's respectful to be close to you. Finally the pawing, this is usually an impatient habit horses use when board or not getting what they want. If she paws simply correct her, you can move her around for this too. I usually just give a deep, stern "quit" when a horse that I've been working with paws. This is after they've gotten use to me and my voice from training too.
    Horses don't rub on each other to make them move. Sorry, but that is completely wrong. To make a more submissive horse move away, a dominant horse uses body language - effectively pushing them out of their space without touching them most of the time. They will also bite and kick.

    This horse is more than likely just rubbing sweaty, itchy spots on her face. OP - don't let her do it, it is disrespectful of her, but mostly it is just plain dangerous, as you are discovering with the bit hitting you. Horses have big heavy heads, and humans are comparatively very frail. Get after her and make her believe that rubbing on you results in all sorts of hell raining down on her, and you will both be happier.

    Once she isn't rubbing on you, then you can deal with the reason - the itchiness on her face. After a ride, I usually spend five or ten minutes scratching the face of the horse I rode, working into all the areas that the bridle goes on, and help out with that itch.
    Foxhunter and FaydesMom like this.
         
        01-22-2013, 10:55 PM
      #4
    Showing
    We had a pony that couldn't wear a bridle for 10 min without trying to rub on someone. During an Aha moment I clipped wherever the bridle touched - end of problem. Had to clip the saddle area too and he stopped trying to roll.
         
        01-22-2013, 11:03 PM
      #5
    Started
    Along with what other have said, I would try cleaning their ears out. Sometimes there ears are in need of cleaning. I would not let her rub her head on me though. A good smack should take care of that
         
        01-23-2013, 08:50 AM
      #6
    Super Moderator
    Welcome to the Horse Forum.

    This is simply a horse that has no ground manners. Horses are big enough animals that to be tolerable, they need to have good ground manners. This horse has no manners at all.

    You need to teach her to respect you, to stay out of your personal space and to respect you at all times. Right now she is just a wreck looking for a place to happen. If she paws you, knocks you out of her way or knocks you down, she WILL hurt you. She can easily break your bones.

    Get someone to teach you some ground exercises and get them to teach you how to teach her to respect your space. She needs to move back and over each direction when you ask.

    You can do a search here on the Forum for respect and ground exercises. There have been hundreds of threads written that detail dozens of exercises you can teach her that will make her show you the respect you deserve.

    There are Clinicians that have DVDs out there that show people how to get respect. Clinton Anderson is probably the best at making it understandable. His groundwork is very effective at making a respectful horse.
    Foxhunter likes this.
         
        01-23-2013, 12:17 PM
      #7
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SRose    
    You first need to understand why she does the rubbing. Horses show dominance in a herd by getting the other horse to move their feet. When she rubs on you she is trying to move you and show her dominance. Continue to correct her every time she does it, even if it becomes a chore. Add on at the end making her move. You'll be showing her that she can't move you but you can move her. This can be simply by making her back up, to the side, whatever the environment allows you to do. Just stick with it. The stepping on your feet is her invading your space. She doesn't mean to do it but she should not be that close to you that it happens. Keep her out of your space. If she moves close to you without you asking, move her back. You'll need to do some groundwork with her to work on her awareness of your space. If you want her close to you, she needs to be invited in and then love up on her to show that it's ok if she's respectful to be close to you. Finally the pawing, this is usually an impatient habit horses use when board or not getting what they want. If she paws simply correct her, you can move her around for this too. I usually just give a deep, stern "quit" when a horse that I've been working with paws. This is after they've gotten use to me and my voice from training too.
    Thanks for your help! I will keep at correcting her and do some of the other things you suggested!
         
        01-23-2013, 12:20 PM
      #8
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chiilaa    
    Horses don't rub on each other to make them move. Sorry, but that is completely wrong. To make a more submissive horse move away, a dominant horse uses body language - effectively pushing them out of their space without touching them most of the time. They will also bite and kick.

    This horse is more than likely just rubbing sweaty, itchy spots on her face. OP - don't let her do it, it is disrespectful of her, but mostly it is just plain dangerous, as you are discovering with the bit hitting you. Horses have big heavy heads, and humans are comparatively very frail. Get after her and make her believe that rubbing on you results in all sorts of hell raining down on her, and you will both be happier.

    Once she isn't rubbing on you, then you can deal with the reason - the itchiness on her face. After a ride, I usually spend five or ten minutes scratching the face of the horse I rode, working into all the areas that the bridle goes on, and help out with that itch.
    Thanks for your help! I will keep correcting her behavior, and once it is better I will figure out why she is doing it!
         
        01-23-2013, 12:21 PM
      #9
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saddlebag    
    We had a pony that couldn't wear a bridle for 10 min without trying to rub on someone. During an Aha moment I clipped wherever the bridle touched - end of problem. Had to clip the saddle area too and he stopped trying to roll.
    Hmm I might have to try that, thanks for your help!
         
        01-23-2013, 12:23 PM
      #10
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Casey02    
    Along with what other have said, I would try cleaning their ears out. Sometimes there ears are in need of cleaning. I would not let her rub her head on me though. A good smack should take care of that
    Okay I will check, thanks for your help! And I don't let her I smack her for it but then she waits a few minutes before doing it again so I will keep at it and correct her when she is being that way.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Rate issues and 2nd barrel issues! HorseLife97 Barrel Racing 9 01-15-2013 09:35 PM
    Knee issues = balance issues... need some help! Britt Rider Wellness 12 04-14-2012 11:44 AM
    Health Issues Before Training Issues. ChingazMyBoy Horse Training 9 09-12-2011 11:46 PM
    bit rubbing sempre_cantando Horse Health 15 07-16-2008 11:34 PM
    rubbing SonnyWimps Horse Health 33 05-15-2008 09:24 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:45 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0