She bites, pins her ears, and jolts to the side...HELP!?
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

She bites, pins her ears, and jolts to the side...HELP!?

This is a discussion on She bites, pins her ears, and jolts to the side...HELP!? within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Horse that bits and ear pins

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-09-2009, 04:10 PM
  #1
Foal
Post She bites, pins her ears, and jolts to the side...HELP!?

My mare is only 3 1/2 right now and I am still training and breaking etc. I am working mostly on trails and in the roundpen. She is really good in the roundpen, but when it comes to trails we are having problems. She does not really spook, so that is not the issue. We throw things around her all the time and sack her out etc before rides and even during so she is pretty used to anything. A rabbit will jump and run out of a bush right under her feet and she will just look at it and keep walking. The issue seems to be when she has had enough, she just quits. If I ask her to move on or go in a direction that I want her to after that, she starts acting up terribly. She pins her ears (I think it is to intimidate me and IT WORKS) and then starts to either turn and bite my feet, or she will lurch to the side that she wants to go and try and get me off. She also has the issue of if I ask her to walk on or even trot/lope, she throws her head really bad and starts crowhopping. She even has a tie-down that I use but she ignores it. Honestly it scares me and makes me nervous and I think she knows which is why she keeps doing these things. Is there a way to work this out of her without getting myself thrown and without having to completely start over? Her groundwork is awesome and she has no issues with that. And her trust towards me is very obvious so I don't think any of that is the problem. Im thinking she is being very stubborn and testy...so does anyone have some sort of solution that I can try out with her?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-09-2009, 04:33 PM
  #2
Yearling
I'd say she's having pain issues. Check your tack. How are her teeth? How is she tacked up on a lunge line? Are you riding her in the round pen?

How long are your trail rides? Is it mostly walking? How far into the ride are you before she start this? Are you riding alone? Have you gotten off and walked her farther up the trail? What happens when you get home, do you put her in her paddock with some hay or put her to work?
     
    02-09-2009, 04:49 PM
  #3
Showing
I was going to say pain but G and K already did. It would be my first guess. My well traveled 10 yo trail horse does the same thing if she is having some pain due to saddle pad or fit. Right down to the turning and biting my feet.
We don't ride for more than 1 hour without getting off and giving the horses a break. I would ask the same questions as GK how long are you riding what type of saddle and pad, is your girth the right size for your horse?
Some horses have more sensitive skin than others. I use only natural materials on Vida, otherwise she let me know how bad she feels pretty quick.
     
    02-09-2009, 06:46 PM
  #4
Foal
Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by G and K's Mom    
I'd say she's having pain issues. Check your tack. How are her teeth? How is she tacked up on a lunge line? Are you riding her in the round pen?

How long are your trail rides? Is it mostly walking? How far into the ride are you before she start this? Are you riding alone? Have you gotten off and walked her farther up the trail? What happens when you get home, do you put her in her paddock with some hay or put her to work?
I have checked my tack and am in the process of getting a new saddle. I am getting a new one due to my butt no longer fitting and it is just the wrong bar size. I ride her in the round pen the same as on the trail and there is no issue. The trail rides usually last no longer than an hour and a half and that is the max. I do not get off because I tried that a few times before and it just caused more problems. When we get home, depending on time and daylight etc I either work her for a bit longer or just untack, brush down, and put her out to paddock.
     
    02-09-2009, 06:48 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidaloco    
I was going to say pain but G and K already did. It would be my first guess. My well traveled 10 yo trail horse does the same thing if she is having some pain due to saddle pad or fit. Right down to the turning and biting my feet.
We don't ride for more than 1 hour without getting off and giving the horses a break. I would ask the same questions as GK how long are you riding what type of saddle and pad, is your girth the right size for your horse?
Some horses have more sensitive skin than others. I use only natural materials on Vida, otherwise she let me know how bad she feels pretty quick.
I am not sure about her skin sensitivity etc. I never ride more than an hour and a half...and the saddle I have is a Circle Y western pleasure/all around. The bar size is too big and I am in the process of getting a new saddle so that it fits her better there. I am using a 36" girth and it fits her very nicely.
     
    02-09-2009, 08:37 PM
  #6
Weanling
Are you sure it is a 36"? Like a 36" western girth? Sorry but the biggest most horses I know take is around 32". 36" seems quite large, especially if it is the horse in your avatar. Also it wouldn't really matter how well the girth fit your horse but the material it is made out of. Neoprene often causes issues with sensitive skin as do the fuzzy materials because they can get all balled up and clumped together. I would see how she does with a new saddle as the issue could be caused by your too large saddle and before you go to behavioral issues. If the issues do not clear up after a new, correctly fitted saddle then I would move onto the behavioral aspect.
     
    02-09-2009, 08:47 PM
  #7
Foal
Well first off, if you know that your saddle does not fit, I would not be using it. I am going to assume that you are riding longer on the trail then you are when you do ring work. The longer that you ride, the more uncomfortable your horse becomes, which more than likely why she is reacting the way she is. My best advice to you would be to try and borrow a saddle until you can get a new one. The more longer that you ride in a saddle that does not fit, the more problems you are going to cause with your horse, plus if it does not fit you either it can't be to comfortable.
     
    02-10-2009, 01:17 PM
  #8
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetoomany    
Are you sure it is a 36"? Like a 36" western girth? Sorry but the biggest most horses I know take is around 32". 36" seems quite large, especially if it is the horse in your avatar. .
Then you must have trim and slim horse's and not chunky QH's..... LOL .....mine are a 34 & 36 western. 34-36 is average.
     
    02-10-2009, 01:22 PM
  #9
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHeart    
The longer that you ride in a saddle that does not fit, the more problems you are going to cause with your horse,
Agreed! Plus the longer this goes on the longer it's going to take her to get over thinking that ANY saddle is going to cause her pain. They have amazing memories, especially for things that cause them pain.

One other point, she's young and her body is still filling out and growing. You need to be checking the saddle fit often. You may find that 6-8 months down the road the new saddle no longer fits her properly. It sounds like she's a sensitive horse so your really going to have to be on top of things.
     
    02-10-2009, 02:19 PM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by G and K's Mom    
Then you must have trim and slim horse's and not chunky QH's..... LOL .....mine are a 34 & 36 western. 34-36 is average.

Yeah she grew from 32" to a 36" since last fall.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bug bites, and scratches.... exp35post912 Horse Grooming 1 09-13-2008 12:03 AM
horse that bites nldiaz66 Horse Training 23 08-27-2008 05:21 PM
Bites and scratches, oh my wordstoasong Horse Grooming 0 08-24-2008 12:47 PM
Love Bites Moxie Horse Talk 11 08-08-2008 11:48 AM
Wanted: Equestrian pins and brooches Painted1 Horse Talk 0 11-07-2007 01:53 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0