Slowing down and smoothing out my horse's trot - The Horse Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By spirit88
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-17-2013, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10
• Horses: 1
Slowing down and smoothing out my horse's trot

I just bought a TWH cross and I don't have much information about his background. He was a speed horse so I think he went from walk to run more then anything. So now I want to do walk, trot, canter and his trot is fast and choppy. I want to slow it down or at least smooth it out if possible. Does anyone know what I can do?
Comanche is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 09-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 5,582
• Horses: 2
This is what I did for the same problem. It wasn't an instant fix; it took time, but it's definitely helped and now I can ask my mare for different trotting speeds.

Pretty simple: Whenever she would trot like she was trying out for the marching band, I'd stop her and back up a few steps. She'd trot a little slower, but would eventually pick up speed again with her head way up (not a pain avoidance thing, she's just high strung), so we'd stop and back up a few steps again until she finally maintained a speed I approved of and we kept at it for a little bit so she would learn it was easier to go my speed than stop ever few minutes and back up.
Poseidon is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 09-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,627
• Horses: 0
Sounds like he wasnt to well trained to begin with. I have a gelding who does speed events hes goes whatever speed i want. Thats at walk trot and canter.

Only time he gets super hyped up is just before we enter the area gate. But once he does his run he walks out of area on a loose rein.

Your horse needs more training i see youv got another thread on him being barn sour. Id work on the barn sour part then worry about slowing down his trot.

Personally i would of never bought a horse with training issues to many nice ones out there that need good homes.
Corporal likes this.
spirit88 is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 09-17-2013, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
This is what I did for the same problem. It wasn't an instant fix; it took time, but it's definitely helped and now I can ask my mare for different trotting speeds.

Pretty simple: Whenever she would trot like she was trying out for the marching band, I'd stop her and back up a few steps. She'd trot a little slower, but would eventually pick up speed again with her head way up (not a pain avoidance thing, she's just high strung), so we'd stop and back up a few steps again until she finally maintained a speed I approved of and we kept at it for a little bit so she would learn it was easier to go my speed than stop ever few minutes and back up.
That's a good idea! I will try that next time I ride him. :) He is really responsive so I think he'll do great.
Comanche is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 09-17-2013, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit88 View Post
Sounds like he wasnt to well trained to begin with. I have a gelding who does speed events hes goes whatever speed i want. Thats at walk trot and canter.

Only time he gets super hyped up is just before we enter the area gate. But once he does his run he walks out of area on a loose rein.

Your horse needs more training i see youv got another thread on him being barn sour. Id work on the barn sour part then worry about slowing down his trot.

Personally i would of never bought a horse with training issues to many nice ones out there that need good homes.
He is not a super hyped horse. I can run him and then pull the saddle off and ride bareback with out any issues. Or we can just hang out and walk. He walks, trots, and canter with barely any pressure to do any of it. He isn't hard to stop at all. I think he was ran and not given the opportunity to be a regular horse at his last home so he has picked up some bad habits that need correcting. I don't think he's a bad horse and to me he was worth getting. There are a lot of nice horses out there that have no vices but there a lot of horses out that just need a second chance.
Comanche is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 09-17-2013, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
He is not a super hyped horse. I can run him and then pull the saddle off and ride bareback with out any issues. Or we can just hang out and walk. He walks, trots, and canter with barely any pressure to do any of it. He isn't hard to stop at all. I think he was ran and not given the opportunity to be a regular horse at his last home so he has picked up some bad habits that need correcting. I don't think he's a bad horse and to me he was worth getting. There are a lot of nice horses out there that have no vices but there a lot of horses out that just need a second chance.
I don't mean to jump into being defensive but I do strongly believe that a horse that needs work can be retrained and can be a great horse if someone is willing to put in the work.
Comanche is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice on Slowing Down a Horse's Trot Houston Horse Riding 22 06-12-2012 12:05 AM
Tips for Smoothing out my TWH's Running Walk + Training Canter kjcoble2678 Horse Riding 0 06-01-2012 04:43 PM
Smoothing out the trot? Goodbye13lueSky Horse Training 4 09-19-2011 10:20 PM
Your Opinions: Slowing the trot azarni Horse Training 22 08-24-2010 12:06 AM
Slowing the trot coffeeaddict Horse Training 43 07-08-2010 01:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome