Snaffle bits.....ugh! - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Snaffle bits.....ugh!

This is a discussion on Snaffle bits.....ugh! within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Snaffle bits for ex racehorses
  • Who makes the best snaffle bit

Like Tree64Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    09-19-2012, 01:09 AM
  #11
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetgirl    
.and some horses just cannot be effectively reschooled in a snaffle....JMHO
Why not?
Copperhead likes this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    09-19-2012, 01:09 AM
  #12
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted    
what do you need a bit for? You shouldn't need one at all !
Horses for courses, Spotted. Nothing wrong with a bit in the right hands. You can do just as much damage by hauling a horse's face off in a bitless.
Speed Racer and DrumRunner like this.
     
    09-19-2012, 01:14 AM
  #13
Green Broke
[quote=Muppetgirl;1688888].....sometimes I believe it's actually kinder to use a more 'effective' bit on your horse lightly rather than use a 'ineffective' bit on your horse heavily......
/QUOTE]

Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayty    
It ends up going to a downward spiral of moving to harsher and harsher bits until you're just about riding with a piece of cheese wire in the horse's mouth to gain some kind of control.
Maybe I haven't been around enough, but I have never known ANYONE that this has happened to. I ride in curb bits 95% of the time and I never have to move to harsher and harsher bits. Sometimes I will even ride them in a snaffle.

My main complaint with the snaffle is that I don't have the instant softness and finesse that I do with a curb. Is that a training issue? Probably. But I trail ride and ride on a loose rein nearly all the time. And when I do use the bit, a feather touch is all that is needed to get the response I want from my horse. Why should I pull on my horse with a snaffle when I get a feather response in a curb? I never have to move up to harsher bits than this:
Myler Bit- HBT Shank MB 33, Size 5"

So yes, I get tired of the people who always say "go back to a snaffle" every time the horse sneezes wrong. I don't want to have to ride with contact constantly. I want a light horse on a loose rein.

My other pet peeve......the tom thumb police. Okay, I will concede that maybe it's not the BEST bit ever made, but it is certainly more humane that a lot of other bits people use, and no one goes on a harping spree about things like this:

02-James Morris Copper Wrapped C-Prong Bit

305- Reinsman Half Wonder Bit 5/16" Small Twisted Sweet Iron

2361- Greg Darnall Hand Engraved Cavalry Shank, "Pro Roller" Mouth, Ball Bearing Bars

(Just a few random examples). See, I would very likely never use a bit like those above, but I WOULD ride in a tom thumb. So I think the tom thumb is everyone's favorite bit scapegoat. Is it perfect? No. Does it deserve it's horrible reputation in light of every other bit out there? I certainly don't think so.

What's more, this stuff people push on the internet doesn't seem to jive with real live. I don't know of anyone who hates the tom thumb with a passion in real live, nor do my friends and neighbor's shout "go to a snaffle" for every little issue.

This seems to be a reality that exists only on the internet.
Dead Rabbit likes this.
     
    09-19-2012, 01:16 AM
  #14
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayty    
You can do just as much damage by hauling a horse's face off in a bitless.
My goal is not to haul on my horse at all. That's why I like a curb bit.
     
    09-19-2012, 01:17 AM
  #15
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayty    
That is true Muppetgirl, I can see where you are coming from. There are some cases when yes, a stronger bit is beneficial. Say on a cross country course - often it is safer for both horse and rider to have a 'set of breaks' with a bit more bite. But at home, I am a strong believer that the work should all be trained in a mild snaffle (English... I wouldn't know the first thing about how Western horses are trained).
Even Grand Prix Dressage horses, who are at absolute peak physical fitness and are often very hihgly wired, are generally trained at home in a snaffle bridle.
If the rider is good enough, there should be no need to a harsh bit in training, and a novice rider would do better to spend the money on some good lessons, than a shiny new piece of metal.
Yes Kayty, gosh it's hard to write down all ones thoughts and make sense! What I'm finding is that there seems to be this 'push' on people to use a snaffle.
I guess I just want clear clear evidence as to why this snaffle bit is soooo superior to every other bit out there.....in my world it's a colt starting bit, you advance out of that soon after the horse understands how to give etc.....
     
    09-19-2012, 01:22 AM
  #16
Yearling
Hey Muppetgirl, Try it you may be surpised with your results. If your horse leads really well, then there is no reason why not. I have started many horses without a bit and switched horses from bit to no bit and they were much more behaved and seemed to enjoy the ride better. I have used bitless bridles, but I like the rope halters best. For lesure rides. There are several different styles, some with twists or knots for pressure points ect. Much better than having a chunk of metal in your mouth causing pain wouldn't you say.
     
    09-19-2012, 01:23 AM
  #17
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetgirl    
Yes Kayty, gosh it's hard to write down all ones thoughts and make sense! What I'm finding is that there seems to be this 'push' on people to use a snaffle.
I guess I just want clear clear evidence as to why this snaffle bit is soooo superior to every other bit out there.....in my world it's a colt starting bit, you advance out of that soon after the horse understands how to give etc.....

I think the answer to your question was on the first page of this thread, you just chose to ignore it.
     
    09-19-2012, 01:24 AM
  #18
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDressageIt    
Why not?
One example of how ot every horse can be reschooled in a snaffle is because they have no nerve endings left in their mouths because of prior careers ie. Racehorses (it's well non that these horses are 'on the bit' most of the time, and I know because I used to ride trackwork). Now I'm not generalizing about all ex racers, but it is common knowledge that dead mouths is something that does happen from consistent pressure in the mouth....
     
    09-19-2012, 01:30 AM
  #19
Yearling
Trailhorserider, I agree with you as well, never had any issues using a curb growing up. Now I here about horses running off with thier riders when using a snaffle. However Im not against snaffles either. I like what works best for the horse and if a bit isn't needed than why use it.
     
    09-19-2012, 01:30 AM
  #20
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetgirl    
One example of how ot every horse can be reschooled in a snaffle is because they have no nerve endings left in their mouths because of prior careers ie. Racehorses (it's well non that these horses are 'on the bit' most of the time, and I know because I used to ride trackwork). Now I'm not generalizing about all ex racers, but it is common knowledge that dead mouths is something that does happen from consistent pressure in the mouth....
Interesting. I've never had a problem reschooling an ex-racehorse to a snaffle. My gelding is a freaking freight train, and it would definitely be easier to slap a big bit on him and get him to "respect" the bit that way, but I prefer to take the time to school him properly... Hell before I bought him, his bit was changed up once a week or more, anything from a corkscrew onward. Now he's starting to get the idea behind the loose ring Myler. (Though I'd be just as happy to get him going in a $10 french link, it just so happens I'm a bit collector and have just about everything lying around to play with, and he seems to like the Myler best of the snaffles.)

... *whispers* You most definitely can reschool a "dead" mouth.... But it's much easier to bit up and ignore the foundation, definitely ;)
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Selecting snaffle bits. Really Ride Horse Articles 1 02-29-2012 02:42 PM
Snaffle bits howrsegirl123 Horse Tack and Equipment 8 02-27-2012 09:08 AM
Snaffle Bits Ayia Horse Training 6 11-14-2010 09:30 PM
Snaffle Bits Colorado Dobes Tack and Equipment Classifieds 2 10-19-2010 11:04 AM
Baucher Snaffle Bits: Who Uses One? ~ dressagexlee Horse Tack and Equipment 9 01-22-2010 08:55 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0