So...she bucked...what do I do now? - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

So...she bucked...what do I do now?

This is a discussion on So...she bucked...what do I do now? within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree36Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        02-13-2014, 12:34 PM
      #11
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilruffian    
    Why can't you lunge her in the snow? They walk and run in the snow on their own, there is no reason you can't work her in the snow. In fact it will be harder work for her.
    Horses always buck for a reason and it is seldom because they are trying to hurt you or get the better of you. The fact that she did not start doing it again when you got back on is proof enough.
    The other horse running past may have gotten her excited and so she was kicking up her heels.
    If you pulled back too hard without warning or caused her confusion/pain this may have caused her to go up as well. The best think in that situation is not to haul back on their mouths but either bend her or try a pull & release method to get her attention back on you. Next time you may be more prepared now that you are aware of it.

    Also, were you cantering before? How was she? Did you canter after?
    I know with my mare she has back issues that flare up every now and then and needs the chairopractor out every so often or else she will buck when we lope. And ONLY when we lope.
    I had not gone any faster than a walk except for a couple of steps into a trot when she tried to trot to catch up to the other horse and I pulled her back to a walk. I didn't go any faster after the buck either. Although once when I was riding her and I told her to canter, she did this kind of jump, side step thing before she smoothed out into her canter.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        02-13-2014, 01:15 PM
      #12
    Super Moderator
    First off - as already said - riding with loose horses is a bad idea unless your horse is 100% trained to stay calm & responsive to you in that sort of situation
    The only way you will stop your horse from bucking is to learn how to stick on and ride it out of the buck. That only comes from experience and you can only get that by getting back on
    Preventing the situation is easier still - don't get the horse over excited, keep things controlled and disciplines until you are a better rider and your horse is better trained to deal with anything you throw at it
    Just because horses run around in the snow doesn't mean that its safe to lunge them in it unless you can guarantee the snow isn't going to build up in their hooves the result might be a serious tendon strain or worse.
    Horses are mostly clever enough to figure out for themselves that they're uncomfortable and will usually have the sense to go steadily in the snow once they start tottering around on an icy snowball that's several inches thick - but if we force them to do otherwise they lose that ability to make the right decision
    madyasmkey likes this.
         
        02-13-2014, 01:31 PM
      #13
    Foal
    [QUOTE=jaydee;4756962]First off - as already said - riding with loose horses is a bad idea unless your horse is 100% trained to stay calm & responsive to you in that sort of situation
    The only way you will stop your horse from bucking is to learn how to stick on and ride it out of the buck. That only comes from experience and you can only get that by getting back on
    Preventing the situation is easier still - don't get the horse over excited, keep things controlled and disciplines until you are a better rider and your horse is better trained to deal with anything you throw at it


    So, there is no other way to actually get her to realize just because the other horse bolts forward doesn't mean she gets to too? I just have to ride out the buck? How does that teach her just because one horse runs doesn't mean she gets to? If I was holding her by the lead on the ground while my sister walked, then trotted, then galloped past, would that help?
         
        02-13-2014, 02:36 PM
      #14
    Super Moderator
    [quote=Ebonyisforme;4757034]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaydee    
    So, there is no other way to actually get her to realize just because the other horse bolts forward doesn't mean she gets to too? I just have to ride out the buck? How does that teach her just because one horse runs doesn't mean she gets to? If I was holding her by the lead on the ground while my sister walked, then trotted, then galloped past, would that help?
    You teach her that she can't react to anything another horse does by not allowing her to do it - but if she's able to buck you off before you get a chance to restrain her the best place to start is by learning how NOT to fall off every time she bucks
    You could try holding her or leading her while another horse is galloped past but there's no guarantee you'll be able to hold on to her if she decides to go - 4 legged horse weighing 1000lb versus 2 legged human weighing about 130lb - its obvious which one will win if it turns into a tug of war. Theres also the risk that the horse might get out of control and knock you over or kick out at and hit you
    So I'm not saying 'Don't do it' but if you do try it be aware of the risks and react appropriately. I would certainly have a bridle on the horse for more control and start off at the walk, making sure you don't move to the next step until she's behaving perfectly
    I personally believe that a horse that knows to stay calm when others run off is a much safer horse so worth putting in the time and effort to train.
         
        02-13-2014, 02:43 PM
      #15
    Yearling
    Ok, I've read and responded to your other threads and you haven't listened. To anyone. I understand you think you're invincible, but you're young and uneducated about horses. It is very obvious you don't know how to handle horses or ride. So please get a trainer or sell the horses before you get hurt.
    loosie and PrivatePilot like this.
         
        02-13-2014, 03:01 PM
      #16
    Foal
    Ebony -- others have given good advice. The only way to really train a horse not to run off is to prove to them that you are the leader in all situations. You do this by gaining her respect on the ground and then by showing her while riding. However, to do this you have to be a confident, even-keel rider.

    So, as others have said, tie up the loose horse until you and your horse are better, more seasoned.

    After you have a more secure seat, and you can canter your horse with confidence, stop him, turn him, control his hip, horse maintains whatever spped you ask for until YOU ask for a different speed/stop, etc; then ride with your sister and have her trot past you, when your horse goes to follow, make him turn some small circles at the trot in both directions. Then let him rest for a minute or two. Keep repeating this process until he figures out that "wanting" to run without you asking gets him some hard work. Soon he will maintain a walk while the other horse trots past. Then, do this at the trot while your sister lopes past. Keep doing it as before, until he will stay at a trot and not change his speed. Then do it at a slow lope, with your sister cantering by...same steps until he maintains that slow lope.
         
        02-13-2014, 03:37 PM
      #17
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SullysRider    
    Ok, I've read and responded to your other threads and you haven't listened. To anyone. I understand you think you're invincible, but you're young and uneducated about horses. It is very obvious you don't know how to handle horses or ride. So please get a trainer or sell the horses before you get hurt.
    If you are going to play that game, I have mentioned several times that we don't have the money to get a trainer, and no, I will not sell the horses because you think I can not handle it. Obviously I know enough about handling and riding that her behavior has been getting better. The first day I rode her, I couldn't get her to move an inch, and now she moves if I tell her to, when I tell her to, her moving while saddling is stopping, and her moving while mounting is non-existent. I know that I am not invincible, have never claimed to be. I have been hurt by a horse before, got sent to the emergency room in fact. I know what they can do. I know enough that I got back on her after getting bucked. And yes, I am a beginner as far as experience goes, but as of yet, she hasn't pulled anything that I can't handle with some time and advice. And these posts don't help. This forum is supposed to be about helping, not criticizing and attempting to persuade someone to get rid of their horses!! I am sooo fed up with these kinds of posts!!! Please, if you are going to post something like that, don't post at all!!
         
        02-13-2014, 03:42 PM
      #18
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ebonyisforme    
    If you are going to play that game, I have mentioned several times that we don't have the money to get a trainer, and no, I will not sell the horses because you think I can not handle it. Obviously I know enough about handling and riding that her behavior has been getting better. The first day I rode her, I couldn't get her to move an inch, and now she moves if I tell her to, when I tell her to, her moving while saddling is stopping, and her moving while mounting is non-existent. I know that I am not invincible, have never claimed to be. I have been hurt by a horse before, got sent to the emergency room in fact. I know what they can do. I know enough that I got back on her after getting bucked. And yes, I am a beginner as far as experience goes, but as of yet, she hasn't pulled anything that I can't handle with some time and advice. And these posts don't help. This forum is supposed to be about helping, not criticizing and attempting to persuade someone to get rid of their horses!! I am sooo fed up with these kinds of posts!!! Please, if you are going to post something like that, don't post at all!!
    People are concerned about you, you don't seem to realize you are in over your head. And unfortunately we fear it will end badly. If you are having this big of issues with your horse(s) and you can't correct them then the next logical step would be to get a trainer. If you can't get a trainer then the next logical step is to sell the horse(s). It is concern for you, your safety, and your horse.
    loosie likes this.
         
        02-13-2014, 03:50 PM
      #19
    Weanling
    All I'm going to say in this thread is this - please read the thread I'm pasting below. Those who have tried to help you and give you advice across your multitude of other threads have done so with the best of intentions, not to belittle or discourage you. Read the thread and put YOURSELF in those shoes.

    Because honesty, I fear you're headed there.

    Why you don't want to learn the hard way
    loosie and madyasmkey like this.
         
        02-13-2014, 04:36 PM
      #20
    Super Moderator
    The OP is in the situation she is in by her own choice and no amount of lecturing is going to change that now so telling her to sell them or find a trainer is no solution at all.
    Offering her useful advice that might help her learn to deal with her horses and at the same time point out potential dangers so she can hopefully avoid injury is the best thing that members can do.
    We can't control what other people do or what risks they decide to take.
    danph and madyasmkey like this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Got bucked off Horsealot Horse Talk 9 09-08-2012 09:08 PM
    Got bucked off and ended up in the ER! Spirit Lifter Horse Riding 26 06-30-2012 10:11 PM
    help please with a horse that has never bucked slingshot Horse Training 15 05-10-2012 09:45 PM
    The appropriate way to get bucked off horselvr Jokes and Funnies 22 05-07-2011 11:40 AM
    Bucked off! Gammelquarterhorses Horse Stories and Poems 16 10-30-2007 02:21 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:27 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0