Starting New Horses - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 05-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 640
• Horses: 0
Hailey one thing you can to to re-introduce the saddle is approach and do everything BIG, What I mean by this is if you can get the horse use to the saddle being throwed up over and down onto his back it will make it easier for proper saddling. When I train horses for others I always do everything big because I find that not all horse owners out there have the slightest idea of how to properly tack up a horse so the bumble around throw saddles on all lop sided with the stirrups hung in underneath it and such, and if you dont prepare a horse for these things they will bugger off when a less exp. person tries to handle them. So app the horse saddle on big, saddle off big rinse and repeat. Do this again and again till the horse is accepting it. Once you are done with this you can cinch up and step up, step down over and over. When he will let you hang over the saddle and be calm you can hop in. Sit a sec dont ask him to move. Get off. Rinse and repeat. This will help the horse accept the saddle.
Wallee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 19 Old 05-25-2012, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 665
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallee View Post
Hailey one thing you can to to re-introduce the saddle is approach and do everything BIG, What I mean by this is if you can get the horse use to the saddle being throwed up over and down onto his back it will make it easier for proper saddling. When I train horses for others I always do everything big because I find that not all horse owners out there have the slightest idea of how to properly tack up a horse so the bumble around throw saddles on all lop sided with the stirrups hung in underneath it and such, and if you dont prepare a horse for these things they will bugger off when a less exp. person tries to handle them. So app the horse saddle on big, saddle off big rinse and repeat. Do this again and again till the horse is accepting it. Once you are done with this you can cinch up and step up, step down over and over. When he will let you hang over the saddle and be calm you can hop in. Sit a sec dont ask him to move. Get off. Rinse and repeat. This will help the horse accept the saddle.
I agree with this entirely! I use the "drunken cowboy" approach. Sloppy, big, loud. My friend who im training with, has her horses to the point where she can scream like a banshee and fling herself at them, and they'll stand there. Its funny to watch her demonstrate!

The horses will eventually be used as camp horses, so they need to be able to handle everything. And they have some fantastic horses!
Wallee likes this.

For without a horse, i could not fly.
Hailey1203 is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 05-25-2012, 11:53 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 640
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailey1203 View Post
I agree with this entirely! I use the "drunken cowboy" approach. Sloppy, big, loud. My friend who im training with, has her horses to the point where she can scream like a banshee and fling herself at them, and they'll stand there. Its funny to watch her demonstrate!

The horses will eventually be used as camp horses, so they need to be able to handle everything. And they have some fantastic horses!

Nothing wrong with desensitizing horses. I am building a barn atm out in my pasture and while I am on top of a 8 foot ladder slapping a barn with my hammer my horses are all underneath me looking up like whats that guy doing ha ha not scared at all. Thats how you need them horses to be if they will be used as camp horses.
Wallee is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 05-25-2012, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 665
• Horses: 0
Exactly. My job there last summer was "child proofing" the horses. Lots of big sloppy riding, dismounting on the wrong side, leaning waaay over the saddle, picking things up and throwing them, it was a blast!

For without a horse, i could not fly.
Hailey1203 is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 05-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 640
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailey1203 View Post
Exactly. My job there last summer was "child proofing" the horses. Lots of big sloppy riding, dismounting on the wrong side, leaning waaay over the saddle, picking things up and throwing them, it was a blast!

If you will be working with them for 2 days this weekend the first can be getting them use to the saddle and the 2nd could be getting them to walk under saddle. Dont try for much more than a walk for the first few times then push them on to a trot and canter later down the road.
Wallee is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 05-25-2012, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 665
• Horses: 0
Yeah, definitely gonna be taking things slow. With the younger one, i'll be happy if he just lets me sit on his back with a saddle on. I am trying for more with the other, simply because he has more training. I'll definitely get pictures for you all! They are two beeeaaautiful horses!

For without a horse, i could not fly.
Hailey1203 is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 640
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailey1203 View Post
Yeah, definitely gonna be taking things slow. With the younger one, i'll be happy if he just lets me sit on his back with a saddle on. I am trying for more with the other, simply because he has more training. I'll definitely get pictures for you all! They are two beeeaaautiful horses!

I cant wait to see pics! Some horses will catch on faster than others, keep it simple and by all means try and be safe as possible :P
Wallee is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 05-25-2012, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 665
• Horses: 0
Helmet, and a safety vest! There will also be 2 of us at all times. Im so excited to be learning something new!
Wallee likes this.

For without a horse, i could not fly.
Hailey1203 is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 06-04-2012, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 665
• Horses: 0
Well, there was a change of plans, and i ended up staying for 9 days instead of 2! I didnt work a whole lot with the colts, instead i worked with horses who had had there first few rides. And what a learning experience it was! Only downside was when the young horses i was riding got bit by a wasp, and went a little bronco on me. Hitting that gravel road was not fun :/

For without a horse, i could not fly.
Hailey1203 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Starting Young Horses DVD? petitepyromaniac Horse Training 5 11-17-2011 08:57 AM
Stacy Westfall Starting young horses DVD For sale nrhareiner Reining 1 01-01-2011 10:20 PM
Water/Something in horses ear? Infection starting? cosmomomo Horse Health 2 12-04-2010 06:48 AM
starting horses savvylover112 Horse Training 12 08-03-2009 05:45 PM
Starting to train others' horses.. need help! JustDressageIt Horse Training 8 01-16-2008 08:09 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome