taining a 5month old foal with attitude
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

taining a 5month old foal with attitude

This is a discussion on taining a 5month old foal with attitude within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Caring for a 5 month foal
  • Training 5 month old colt pics

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-26-2008, 10:04 AM
  #1
Foal
taining a 5month old foal with attitude

Hi everyone!

Ok so I just bought my 1st foal( colt)and his got an attitude problem( big time)! His very nervous with people petting him ! You can only pet his face and neck abit! I`v tryed getting the halter on him but he got it off and now he pins his ears and goes to nip me and other! I don't know what to do! Can anyone help me with this !Thanks
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-26-2008, 11:43 AM
  #2
Trained
You really need to work on who is boss. I understand he is shy which makes it harder but you have to let him know that he is not allowed to be aggressive towards you. It's easy to deal with now, not when he's a 1000 pound animal. I would get a halter on him and get him in a small pen and catch him everyday and work with him. What do you do when you are trying to get a halter on him and his pins his ears?
     
    11-26-2008, 01:58 PM
  #3
Started
My friend had a baby who was sassy sassy sassy and they got a pony who was nice and friendly and Lilly turned Chica around. Since Lilly likes people, Chica decided that they were ok too ... a friend who can teach them what it right and wrong can help sometimes too :)
     
    11-26-2008, 06:32 PM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by FehrGroundRanch    
You really need to work on who is boss. I understand he is shy which makes it harder but you have to let him know that he is not allowed to be aggressive towards you. It's easy to deal with now, not when he's a 1000 pound animal. I would get a halter on him and get him in a small pen and catch him everyday and work with him. What do you do when you are trying to get a halter on him and his pins his ears?
well I havent try agian! It was the Man that I bought him off that put on the halter the first time ( I was there tho )! He put the halter on in a stall (roped him ) then we bushed him all over and he was fine he loved it ! So the man took him out with a luge line and he fliped out ( so did I ) I think Im going to try agian just showing him it and rubbing it on him and so on ! ! I would move him but his still with his mom ! I'll be bring him to my place on the 15 about ! Im not that worry about getting the halter on as I am about him being aggressive and shy ! I have to get him to be ok with people seeing how I have to get him castrated as soon as I can ( I don't want a stud)

Thank you alot for your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by karley.hall    
my friend had a baby who was sassy sassy sassy and they got a pony who was nice and friendly and Lilly turned Chica around. Since Lilly likes people, Chica decided that they were ok too ... a friend who can teach them what it right and wrong can help sometimes too :)
I think im going to try this! I also bought his brother who is 1yr and his very very very quite and loves people! Lead can be brushed everywhere and so on !

Thank you alot for your help
     
    11-26-2008, 06:45 PM
  #5
Foal
Just go real slow with him, like you said, show him the halter, start on this neck and move toward his head, when he is comfortable w. That then go to his face, start from his muzzle and work up. Just go real slow. He needs to know he can trust you first. I would just start rubbing him all over and brushing and once he is quiet w. All that introduce the halter. Sounds like he was never taught.
Good luck and let us know how it's going.
     
    11-26-2008, 06:57 PM
  #6
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrider    
Just go real slow with him, like you said, show him the halter, start on this neck and move toward his head, when he is comfortable w. That then go to his face, start from his muzzle and work up. Just go real slow. He needs to know he can trust you first. I would just start rubbing him all over and brushing and once he is quiet w. All that introduce the halter. Sounds like he was never taught.
Good luck and let us know how it's going.
thanks for you help! Im gonig to need all the help I can get its gonig to be my 1st time training a horse too !
     
    11-26-2008, 07:29 PM
  #7
Trained
I would just wait until he is away from his mom, and only deals with you. With horses like this it's sometimes better to leave them by themselves.
     
    11-26-2008, 07:45 PM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by FehrGroundRanch    
I would just wait until he is away from his mom, and only deals with you. With horses like this it's sometimes better to leave them by themselves.
Thanks for you help !
     
    11-26-2008, 08:45 PM
  #9
Foal
I agree to get him away from mom so all of his attention is on you. Get that halter on him asap.
     
    11-27-2008, 09:10 AM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace love and paints    
i agree to get him away from mom so all of his attention is on you. Get that halter on him asap.
Thanks!:)
     

Tags
foal, horse with attitude, nervous foal, nervous horse, training

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Foal, foal, cute little foal!!!!!!!! PIC OVERLOAD! DutchHorse Horse Pictures 9 07-21-2008 11:19 PM
Picking up attitude? horse_luver4e Horse Training 4 12-21-2007 12:04 AM
ATTITUDE! ilovemydun Horse Training 12 12-10-2007 04:59 PM
Mr.Attitude xkatex Horse Training 6 10-07-2007 08:11 PM
I've had all the attitude I can handle!!! mommadog1956 Horse Training 14 04-12-2007 03:00 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0