So what are the things to do with horses that drive you mad? I have so many, but these are the ones that make my blood boil...
- People who clonk down on their horses' back after jumping. Seriously, put yourself in your animal's shoes for a minute, and imagine how it feels... Sure way to put any horse of jumping.
- Accessory tack. Putting unecessary tack on your horse, just because you think it looks good. Some stuff doesn't do any harm (breastplates, fly ears, sheepskin noseband, furlined tendon boots etc so I'm not too fussed if people do this) but I see this a lot with martingales, grackles, spurs and shanked bits. C'mon, I have owned lots and lots of horses, up to six at a time, ranging from native ponies to thoroughbreds, happy hackers to competition horses, some came trained, some trained by me, all ridden in a basic cavesson, snaffle, saddle and nothing else, and never had any issues. Surely this can't be coincidence? Does your horse REALLY need all that leather and ironwork?
- Linda Parelli. In fact, anything to do with Parelli.
- People who go bitless "to be nice" to their horse, and use a Hackamore. Do they really not realise that this is a very harsh bridle?!
- People who kill their horses with kindness. Applies to any pet really. People who let their horses get too fat (or develop laminitus) because they "love them too much" to restrict their grazing, let their horses walk all over them because they don't want to upset them by laying down ground rules, let horses bite because it loves treats/"smacking your horse is cruel"... Arrg.
- People who breed indiscriminately. Breeding is only morally acceptable when breeding the best to the best. There are thousands of sound, sane, average horses going to slaughter every day. If you really want a foal, buy one of these.
- Pot hunters. In any way, shape or form.
- Having a horse when you can't afford it. If you cannot afford to get your tack fitted, safe fencing, appropriate feed and your horses teeth, back, vaccinations and hooves done on a regular basis, you shouldn't have horses.
- Snobbery. Who cares if my horse is a cheapy ottb, he has a nicer nature than your £12,000 warmblood!
- Draw reins. Hate em!
- Putting winning before your horses' welfare. From minor - competing a horse that isn't quite ready, to major - Big Lick, this speaks for itself.
Drives me madddd! No offence to anyone who does these, just my opinion and things that annoy me!! What pet peeves do you have when it comes to horses?