Three Problems
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Three Problems

This is a discussion on Three Problems within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • My horse keeps jerking my reins out of my hands
  • Horse wants to pull on reins

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-28-2011, 02:01 AM
  #1
Yearling
Three Problems

My horse has three main problems.

1. He wants to pull the reins out of my hands. Just imagine a horse lowering its head to graze but with force against the bit. I don't pull back or jerk, I just keep my hand even with my horn and let him hit the bit and figure out that he's not pulling the reins out of my hand. What should I do?

2. When riding I can't seem to get him to stay in a straight line. He is difficult to keep straight or turn. He likes to drift from side to side. I put him back where I want him to be and he moves off again. While doing this, he isnt giving into the pressure. He takes his face to the opposite direction. I want him to give in and let me have his face.

3. I have a difficult time stopping. I have him in a loose ring snaffle and it takes some pulling to make him stop. I do sit back in my saddle and lean my legs forward when stopping. He ignores me. I want to be able to tell him to stop and that's what I mean, STOP! Don't move forward two steps, don't keeping going. I'm going to start competing in high speed events and a good stop is a must for both his safety and mine.


All in all, I want to be able to fix these problems and keep him soft, soft, soft at the same time. I'm not looking to create a hard mouthed horse. I want to make his riding experience more pleasent rather than yanking and twisting and turning every minute. I want to have fun and I'm sure he wants to have fun too!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-28-2011, 12:31 PM
  #2
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelWannabe    
My horse has three main problems.

1. He wants to pull the reins out of my hands. Just imagine a horse lowering its head to graze but with force against the bit. I don't pull back or jerk, I just keep my hand even with my horn and let him hit the bit and figure out that he's not pulling the reins out of my hand. What should I do?

2. When riding I can't seem to get him to stay in a straight line. He is difficult to keep straight or turn. He likes to drift from side to side. I put him back where I want him to be and he moves off again. While doing this, he isnt giving into the pressure. He takes his face to the opposite direction. I want him to give in and let me have his face.

3. I have a difficult time stopping. I have him in a loose ring snaffle and it takes some pulling to make him stop. I do sit back in my saddle and lean my legs forward when stopping. He ignores me. I want to be able to tell him to stop and that's what I mean, STOP! Don't move forward two steps, don't keeping going. I'm going to start competing in high speed events and a good stop is a must for both his safety and mine.


All in all, I want to be able to fix these problems and keep him soft, soft, soft at the same time. I'm not looking to create a hard mouthed horse. I want to make his riding experience more pleasent rather than yanking and twisting and turning every minute. I want to have fun and I'm sure he wants to have fun too!

Aaahhh!


This is a normal thing, it happens. You should make him trust you, he is just quite afraid of things around.

Make him feel friendly, spend lot of time with him and it's going to be fine rider!

     
    08-28-2011, 12:42 PM
  #3
Banned
Barrel, how much training do you and your horse have?

Sounds as if he either wasn't trained completely, or he knows you're a newbie and is taking advantage. Horses can get sloppy and lazy too, especially if they know their riders are unable to control them properly.

Regardless of what the first poster told you, your horse is NOT afraid, he's testing his boundaries with you.

It's not 'normal', nor is it going to get better unless you address the issues. Spending time with him is completely useless unless you're working toward fixing the problems.

Some people think being BFFs with their horses means the animal knows not to be 'bad' or 'mean'. Unfortunately for them, horses are not people and don't think like we do.

Please don't listen to less than helpful 'advice'. It won't do anything except possibly get you hurt.
     
    08-28-2011, 12:52 PM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
Barrel, how much training do you and your horse have?

Sounds as if he either wasn't trained completely, or he knows you're a newbie and is taking advantage. Horses can get sloppy and lazy too, especially if they know their riders are unable to control them properly.

Regardless of what the first poster told you, your horse is NOT afraid, he's testing his boundaries with you.

It's not 'normal', nor is it going to get better unless you address the issues. Spending time with him is completely useless unless you're working toward fixing the problems.

Some people think being BFFs with their horses means the animal knows not to be 'bad' or 'mean'. Unfortunately for them, horses are not people and don't think like we do.

Please don't listen to less than helpful 'advice'. It won't do anything except possibly get you hurt.
^^This.
I have no idea what the other post is about but him not stopping & swerving isn't fear at all- it's him doing what he wants. Making friends is NOT what te horse needs right now. At all. He needs a leader.
I would start at step one & get him giving to the bit from the ground. He just doesn't wanna listen to you at all.

Do you have a trainer?
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    08-28-2011, 03:42 PM
  #5
Yearling
Speed: I am a newbie, but I try to not let that hinder me.
He is still trying to test me but I do my best to set him back. I don't pull and jerk at him, I just remind myself to be patient. I know enough about riding to know what he's doing wrong with the problems I've told you about, I just don't know how to fix it.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    08-28-2011, 03:44 PM
  #6
Yearling
QH Gunner: I don't have a trainer. I am looking into sending him to one for a month or so for a refresher course. My gelding hadn't been ridden in a while before me getting him. How you I work him to give to the bit on the ground? Lunging?
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    08-28-2011, 03:48 PM
  #7
Banned
So he's already trained, then? I thought as much. He knows you're not sure of what you're doing, so he's taking advantage.

Sending him to a trainer for a refresher is a good idea, but until you get more experience in how to correct his problems, that time away will be useless unless you're training right alongside him. Horse and rider need to be trained together, otherwise you're still going to have the same issues with him once he comes back home.
     
    08-28-2011, 03:59 PM
  #8
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
So he's already trained, then? I thought as much. He knows you're not sure of what you're doing, so he's taking advantage.

Sending him to a trainer for a refresher is a good idea, but until you get more experience in how to correct his problems, that time away will be useless unless you're training right alongside him. Horse and rider need to be trained together, otherwise you're still going to have the same issues with him once he comes back home.

Alright. My main problem, the others I can work with in time, is the stop. That's the main thing I want him to do. I stop him from my seat, vocally, and with my hands. What's the best way to fix this? Is there a good bit, or just put more force and meaning in my stop? I don't want him to learn to push through the bit when I tell him to stop.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    08-28-2011, 04:05 PM
  #9
Banned
Do you know who owned this horse prior to you? He may already be hard mouthed, and a loose ring snaffle just isn't going to cut it.

I believe in the least harsh bit that gets the job done, but in trying to be kind, you may have gone too light with him.

My TB bulls through a regular loose ring snaffle, hated the D-ring French link I tried as well as the rubber covered eggbutt, and finally decided he liked the jointed D-ring with a low port. He goes very happily in that bit.

I'm not saying to go to a double twisted wire long shanked bit, but you might try different ones on him to see how he goes in them. Sometimes something as simple as another bit may make all the difference.
     
    08-28-2011, 04:07 PM
  #10
Trained
Don't worry about creating a hard-mouthed horse because you already have one. YOU should go to a trainer. The horse is either uneducated or spoiled but if you don't respond in the correct manner it will only get worse.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bucking problems... and taking off problems... Just PROBLEMS!!!! Bandera Horse Training 38 11-10-2012 07:22 PM
I'm new! Bit problems coelh102 Horse Training 19 10-10-2009 05:32 PM
tb problems cheethamz17 Horse Training 14 10-26-2007 05:05 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0