Is it time?!
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Is it time?!

This is a discussion on Is it time?! within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree15Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        02-04-2012, 11:43 PM
      #1
    Weanling
    Is it time?!

    So as many of you know, I rescued a filly a month ago today. She is 2 years old, 3 in March. In her previous environment she had very little handling and came to me rather thin.

    She has gained a good bit of weight, some muscle and is filling in nicely. (As much as she can within a month anyway!) Her training now consist of great ground manners, good leading skills (INCLUDING sidepass, pivots), ground tying, trailers like a champ, and recently - I can pick up all her feet while she is ground tied! And THAT was a tough one to overcome! She lunges like she gets paid overtime for it, she is a quick learner. Both on a line and free lunging, w/t/c stop and turn all very quickly and on command. SO! My question is, is it time to start saddling her?

    I want to saddle and bit her (loose ring french link snaffle) and start ground driving her so she learns her directional cues before I hop in the saddle. She currently stands at 14.1 hands and about 800 pounds. The first picture is from the first day I brought her home, the middle is today and the last picture is from yesterday :) let me know what you think!
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpeg DahliaDay1c.jpeg (94.4 KB, 240 views)
    File Type: jpg abeingsweeettt.jpg (83.5 KB, 238 views)
    File Type: jpeg liatrotfav.jpeg (54.9 KB, 236 views)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        02-04-2012, 11:50 PM
      #2
    Started
    I would not ride her until she is 3 years old, especially because she does not seem especially bulky/muscled.. So, unless you want to be ground driving her for a year, I would wait.
         
        02-04-2012, 11:57 PM
      #3
    Green Broke
    I would say it is okay to introduce her to the saddle/pad and bit andplay with ground driving her but not to stress over pushing her into it just yet. I would work on maybe some more extensive ground work and getting her listening and responding with as much ease as possible before moving on to the next step. Maybe introduce her to some new obstacles ground poles/flags/tarps/plastic bags etc. work on decensitizing her as much as possible. She is looking great!
         
        02-04-2012, 11:58 PM
      #4
    Weanling
    Here are a few more pictures that I love, just for fun <3 taken within the past couple days! The last one is her with my 6 foot tall, un horsey father :P bahahaha!
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg afancyhorse.jpg (78.8 KB, 229 views)
    File Type: jpg amorestrtch.jpg (97.8 KB, 224 views)
    File Type: jpg abackfoot.jpg (97.4 KB, 223 views)
    File Type: jpg DSC00779.jpg (98.2 KB, 226 views)
         
        02-05-2012, 12:00 AM
      #5
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caseymyhorserocks    
    I would not ride her until she is 3 years old, especially because she does not seem especially bulky/muscled.. So, unless you want to be ground driving her for a year, I would wait.
    She is turning 3 in a month and a half. Did I not mention that? I apologize! But all I am talking about is introducing tack. A lot of people are telling me I should have already done it. It will probably take me about a month to buy her good tack that will fit her, I have a feeling she is going to be a hard one to fit.
         
        02-05-2012, 12:03 AM
      #6
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BarrelracingArabian    
    I would say it is okay to introduce her to the saddle/pad and bit andplay with ground driving her but not to stress over pushing her into it just yet. I would work on maybe some more extensive ground work and getting her listening and responding with as much ease as possible before moving on to the next step. Maybe introduce her to some new obstacles ground poles/flags/tarps/plastic bags etc. work on decensitizing her as much as possible. She is looking great!
    That's what I have been thinking. She is pretty desensitized to everything I have laying around at the farm so far, cones, tarps, whips, bright colors! Her ground work is always improving, don't get me wrong, she can always learn more on the ground - but my hope is to do it with a saddle on.
         
        02-05-2012, 12:07 AM
      #7
    Green Broke
    Of course! You can definitely introduce her to the saddle and bit and what not and start getting her used to that and then once she has everything down with the saddle on work on mounting. I think you did great by not rushing her into the saddle right away a few extra months and training can determine whether you have a monster to break or an 'angel' haha
         
        02-05-2012, 12:08 AM
      #8
    Trained
    I wouldn't buy her any tack for at least a year, to give her time to finish filling out and muscling up some. Anything you buy today probably won't fit in 6 months, at least not a saddle. I would buy a good training surcingle and start with that on her back and a saddle pad, and I'd start bitting her up for 15 mins or so at a time, just letting her carry the bit in her mouth. I also start them bitted kind of low rather than where the bit should sit, so they learn to pick it up and carry it themselves. Once she's had a couple weeks of carrying the bit around, I'd start using a 'side rein' on one side and then the other so she teaches herself about how to get release from the bit by dropping her head, rather than flinging it up. Then I'd start doing all the ground work to get her started under saddle, until late this coming fall. If she's gained a bunch of muscle and bulked up by then, I'd try saddling her and if she's okay with that, backing her just for short periods of time until next spring when I'd start putting miles on her. You can have her ready to accept a rider from right after you get her to accept a saddle (hint, buy an old beater saddle and pad it up so that if it doesn't fit real well it won't hurt, but if she rolls with it she won't kill a new saddle) by using a mounting block and gradually putting weight in the stirrup.
    Skyseternalangel likes this.
         
        02-05-2012, 12:14 AM
      #9
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians    
    I wouldn't buy her any tack for at least a year, to give her time to finish filling out and muscling up some. Anything you buy today probably won't fit in 6 months, at least not a saddle. I would buy a good training surcingle and start with that on her back and a saddle pad, and I'd start bitting her up for 15 mins or so at a time, just letting her carry the bit in her mouth. I also start them bitted kind of low rather than where the bit should sit, so they learn to pick it up and carry it themselves. Once she's had a couple weeks of carrying the bit around, I'd start using a 'side rein' on one side and then the other so she teaches herself about how to get release from the bit by dropping her head, rather than flinging it up. Then I'd start doing all the ground work to get her started under saddle, until late this coming fall. If she's gained a bunch of muscle and bulked up by then, I'd try saddling her and if she's okay with that, backing her just for short periods of time until next spring when I'd start putting miles on her. You can have her ready to accept a rider from right after you get her to accept a saddle (hint, buy an old beater saddle and pad it up so that if it doesn't fit real well it won't hurt, but if she rolls with it she won't kill a new saddle) by using a mounting block and gradually putting weight in the stirrup.
    I agree with everything you said. I am definetly looking for something a little bit more beat up to tack her up with for now. I think I am just going to tack her up and continue the ground work for a while, see how she does without side reins and all. I just want her to get used to doing whatever I want her to do with tack on. I want her totally comfortable with tack for months before I get on her.
         
        02-05-2012, 12:16 AM
      #10
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BarrelracingArabian    
    Of course! You can definitely introduce her to the saddle and bit and what not and start getting her used to that and then once she has everything down with the saddle on work on mounting. I think you did great by not rushing her into the saddle right away a few extra months and training can determine whether you have a monster to break or an 'angel' haha
    She is a smart-angel-monster, so far :) bahaha.
    Like, it has been 31 days, and she can do most ground work effortlessly, the first time and correctly. She is outrageously smart. But when she wants to act up, she will :P silly babies.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Spring time= bath time yay! Gizmo Horse Grooming 36 03-06-2011 09:02 AM
    Time of seeding, or time of planting seedling? twogeldings General Off Topic Discussion 0 09-06-2010 03:10 PM
    I need a little help with my time macscootin Barrel Racing 10 07-12-2010 04:35 AM
    Brrrrr...it's that time of year. Time to bring out the scarves, hats, and gloves! Seattle Tack and Equipment Classifieds 3 11-24-2009 03:47 PM
    First time I've ever seen him do this SonnyWimps Horse Pictures 8 03-10-2009 06:44 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0