Dice is 3 and a half and when I got him he'd been led and lunged that's about it. I got him 3 months ago.
Here's everything I've trained him to do so far. My question is with him being 3 and a half am I moving too fast? Too slow? Or am I right on track with training? He learns quick and gets bored easily so it's not hard to keep working on things but he acts much older than he actually is haha. I have to keep reminding myself he's only 3 and a half and not to push him too fast.
Here's the list...I may have forgotten some stuff so if you think I should have done something by now just ask because I may have but might have forgotten to put it on the list.
On the ground-
- He stands tied
- Stands tied when other horses are walking/trotting past him past him
- Leads like a dream
- Picks up all 4 feet without issue and will hold them up as long as you’re holding them
- Loves the hose
- Stands for baths and grooming
- Loads and unloads calmly in the trailer without me having to lead him in…I point his nose he goes(both a 2 horse straight load and a 4 horse slant both step ups)
- Knows round penning work
- Inside turns in round pen
- Outside turns in round pen
- Come to me cue in round pen and in field
- Different gaits in the round pen
- He’s fine with plastic bags around his legs I attached them to his boots one at a time in the round pen and sent him him around at each gait in each direction and he never bat an eye.
- He's been sacked out with towels, unbrellas, water bottles, plastic bags, lariets, exercise balls, and other things and nothing fazes him.
- 90% of the time he ground ties. There are those 10% when his baby brain is like “oh shiney! Must go investigate!”
- Stands to be booted(leg boots)
- Stands to be saddled
- Takes the bit like a dream
- Stands to be mounted and dismounted
- Can mount and dismount on both sides
- Light leg cues
- Leg cue to walk
- Leg cue to trot
- Leg cue to canter (we don’t do much canter work only about twice per session if that and only for a few strides)
- Turns on a little bit of pressure.
- Back up cue
- Woah cue at all gaits walk, trot, canter
- Can very the speed of each gait (so I can cue him to walk faster or slower, trot faster or slower etc)
- Introduced him to poles and barrels (didn’t do a pattern just walked aimlessly around them and leg us “bump them” and I purposely pulled a few poles over making sure some fell in front, behind, on the sides, and that some bumped him as he fell and he did AMAZING acted like it was completely normal.
- A deer jumped out on our trail ride and all he did was trot and as soon as I lifted the rein to stop he dropped his butt and stood.
Also awesome story!
Took him to his first ever show 2 weeks ago and he did AMAZING! We went in the arena and walked the patterns. Also a very bad thunderstorm popped up out of nowhere while I was riding him. A big bolt of lightening shot across the sky and a crack of thunder followed and it was so loud it shook the ground and trailers. My barn owner was near our trailer and the other 2 horses flew back at the trailer when this happened and he panicked and told his son to run and check on me because I was on "the baby"(he's the youngest horse on the farm haha) Little did they know that he was an ANGEL. Everyone else's horses were bolting, freaking out, and flying back but not Dice. During the loud crack I jumped and he stood perfectly still and calm and then turned his head to look at me as if to say "Ok mom what are we doing now." and I was like "Ha we're going to head back to the trailer and go home." And my barn owner was amazed when we came calmly walking back to the trailer. He said he couldn't believe that a three year old was that calm when my 14 yr old barrel horse tried to break loose. It showed he had so much trust in me that I wasn’t going to let him get hurt and that he looked to me for what to do next. Even with a bunch of horses freaking out around him he looked to ME. That is one of the biggest compliments I could get I guess haha.
So what do you think? Am I going too fast, slow, or right on track for his age and how fast he learns everything?
And just because he's cute =P