Trailering problems. - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Trailering problems.

This is a discussion on Trailering problems. within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree13Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-20-2013, 03:11 PM
      #11
    Started
    I also support what Bluespark has to say about too small of a trailer. In my mind, the wrong sized trailer is little different than the bad fitting saddle. A horse can be made to tolerate each. However, for me personally as a recreational rider, I want to know that what I do to enjoy riding is not tortuous for the horse. Therefore I strive to make all aspects comfortable and stress free as possible - including a good sized trailer to ride in.

    There's lots of things that can be going on that is hindering progress ranging from my comment above on the trailer to training issues to something else we're missing. At this point, if indeed you and your horse have leading/ground work in hand (no pun intended) but she's stopping then you probably should move onto training her to move forward and past you (basically the Clinton Anderson method) rather than trying to lead her in. I'm sure he's got a dvd you could buy otherwise I think there might a video or two of him loading in a clinic setting on Youtube.

    Good luck.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-20-2013, 03:12 PM
      #12
    Trained
    I wouldn't follow me into one of those 2 horse bread box trailers. Horses are claustrophobic by nature, If you can work with her on getting into/through other tight spaces, then she'll eventually not mind the trailer AS MUCH. I've had horse who were utterly obedient, respectful and would follow me through fire, but hated the trailer their entire lives. They got where they'd tolerate it, but never got in happily.
         
        08-20-2013, 03:45 PM
      #13
    Foal
    I kind of work so no I haven't read your blog. You are so positive everything works the way you say it should and you are the reason I do not like bring labeled a horse person. You are kind of rude.
    QUOTE=beau159;3409042]She isn't "acting" anything. She is downright refusing to follow you. I don't think you understand at all what we are trying to tell you, or else refuse to admit your horse isn't as perfect as you thought.

    Did you read my thread?
    Trailer Loading 101

    Your horse has your number. And you've discovered that when she doesn't want food or treats, she isn't going to do diddly squat. And the she throws basically a teenage temper tantrum by shutting down when you try to introduce a whip, and you let her. Your horse doesn't respect you. She's not going to follow you wherever you go; including into a trailer.

    I also agree 100% with usandpets. I teach all my horses to "self load" for that exact reason. I want to be able to send them into the trailer, while I safely stay outside. Especially if it is a small two-horse bumper pull trailer.

    And exactly as corporal pointed out, it should not matter what you are trying to lead (or send) your horse into. If they have respect and trust for you, they will go without question. Respect and trust is NOT something they are going to learn overnight or in one session. There isn't a "magic fix" to get your horse to hop on the trailer (or do other things you ask). It takes time, patience, and consistency.[/QUOTE]
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        08-20-2013, 03:46 PM
      #14
    Foal
    Also you don't know her you don't know me and you don't know how we work together
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moocow2431    
    I kind of work so no I haven't read your blog. You are so positive everything works the way you say it should and you are the reason I do not like bring labeled a horse person. You are kind of rude.
    QUOTE=beau159;3409042]She isn't "acting" anything. She is downright refusing to follow you. I don't think you understand at all what we are trying to tell you, or else refuse to admit your horse isn't as perfect as you thought.

    Did you read my thread?
    Trailer Loading 101

    Your horse has your number. And you've discovered that when she doesn't want food or treats, she isn't going to do diddly squat. And the she throws basically a teenage temper tantrum by shutting down when you try to introduce a whip, and you let her. Your horse doesn't respect you. She's not going to follow you wherever you go; including into a trailer.

    I also agree 100% with usandpets. I teach all my horses to "self load" for that exact reason. I want to be able to send them into the trailer, while I safely stay outside. Especially if it is a small two-horse bumper pull trailer.

    And exactly as corporal pointed out, it should not matter what you are trying to lead (or send) your horse into. If they have respect and trust for you, they will go without question. Respect and trust is NOT something they are going to learn overnight or in one session. There isn't a "magic fix" to get your horse to hop on the trailer (or do other things you ask). It takes time, patience, and consistency.
    Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        08-20-2013, 04:23 PM
      #15
    Green Broke
    Rude? No.

    Honest? Yes.

    There's a difference.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moocow2431    
    So I need some trailering advice for my mare. She acts as if the trailer is to short for her. We know it's not bc we have gotten her in a couple time but if there is no food she won't go and even if there is its a struggle she stretches as far as she can with her front feet in the trailer, to try and get it. She shuts down of we try to Use a whip at all. Any advice? The trailer is a 2 horse bumper pull.
    You came on here specifically asking for help. And several of us have pointed out things that are hindering you with your mare. Either your trailer is too small (which you claimed it is not) or you need to work more on ground work. Period.

    Here's how YOU have responded to us:

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moocow2431    
    She will follow me into the trailer but stop with the back feet. She has great ground manners and works well with everything else.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moocow2431    
    She follows me with her front feet but acts as if she can't pick her back feet up to get in.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moocow2431    
    I kind of work so no I haven't read your blog. You are so positive everything works the way you say it should and you are the reason I do not like bring labeled a horse person. You are kind of rude.
    Not listening to a word any of us have said, nor even bothering to read advice. You said yourself you did not read my link. (And if you are using work as an excuse, then I suggest you don't visit a public forum at all when you are supposed to be working.) Yet you assume you know more than we do because you are utterly refusing anything we have said.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moocow2431    
    Also you don't know her you don't know me and you don't know how we work together
    Sure I do. Re-read your own original post.

    You have 1) tried to bribe her with food to get her on the trailer and 2) your horse does not allow you to control her body with a whip. I can read exactly how you two work together. And your horse is the one in control; not you.

    I myself was in your exact shoes not too long ago. Thought my horse had perfect ground manners. Thought there wasn't anything I could do different. Thought I was the "boss" in our relationship. It took him kicking me halfway across the yard to get it through my thick skull .....and from "rude" people on this forum to get me to see clearly what happened. No, I didn't want to hear it. But it was the truth. People speak the truth on here. We don't coddle, because that doesn't do you or the horse any good. I know you don't want to hear the truth (I didn't either). But maybe if you heed our advice (and my advice) you won't have the same thing happen to you. Speaking from advice here......

    I myself hate 2-horse bumper pulls too. I would never buy one for my horses. BUT I realize and understand that that is what some people have for their horses. You make do with what you got. And if your horse fits comfortably, there's no reason the horse shouldn't load immediately when you ask every single time, if they respect and trust you.
    Corporal likes this.
         
        08-20-2013, 04:37 PM
      #16
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moocow2431    
    Also you don't know her you don't know me and you don't know how we work together
    Posted via Mobile Device
    You are right. We only know what you post. We go off that information. We're not psychic.

    Many of us have been in your shoes. We've been there and done that. Many times over for some. We can only share what we know and what has worked. It is your choice to follow our advice or ignore it.

    Saying that the ones that have the experience are wrong, that is rude. We are only trying to help. We may be blunt or seem harsh but we are being honest.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Corporal and beau159 like this.
         
        08-20-2013, 04:55 PM
      #17
    Green Broke
    The OP can either choose to follow our advice, or choose to have a horse that doesn't load and doesn't respect him/her.

    Let me just add that my horses JUMP into the trailer when I ask, including my 2-yr-old. Respect goes a loooooong way.
    Corporal likes this.
         
        08-20-2013, 05:19 PM
      #18
    Green Broke
    I'll also throw out there that maybe she is having trouble getting her back legs in. Does she have any stiffness or arthritis in her back legs? Have you tried loading her into a trailer that has a ramp to see if that makes a difference?

    FWIW, my horse sometimes pauses going into the trailer. I generally walk in with him (I know, not as safe as loading him from the outside), and when he pauses I end up in the trailer with him only partially in. All I have to do is give the end of the lead rope a swing directed at his shoulder (doesn't actually need to hit him) and he'll load the rest of the way in without any complaints.
         
        08-20-2013, 09:09 PM
      #19
    Green Broke
    Are you sure trailer is safe and has a good floor and metalwork?
    Corporal likes this.
         
        08-20-2013, 09:30 PM
      #20
    Trained
    I do agree with Beau on the matter. Your horse doesn't respect you/lacks training somewhere.

    I have five horses. All load at the drop of a hat. My horses will walk through/into/over/around/under anything because its what I tell them to do. I don't ask, I tell.

    Did I mention I have a five month old filly that has been hauling since she was a month old? She jumps into the trailer before im even fully prepared for it.

    My horses trust and respect me, their ground work...including my five month old, have impeccable ground manners.

    Something is lacking in your girls training if she is refusing to do something you ask, including loading in a trailer.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         

    Tags
    struggle, trailering

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Bucking problems... and taking off problems... Just PROBLEMS!!!! Bandera Horse Training 38 11-10-2012 06:22 PM
    Help? Horse Trailering Problems! equestrian_rider465 Horse Training 8 07-10-2011 04:50 PM
    Trailering BarrelracingArabian Horse Training 10 03-11-2011 07:31 PM
    3-year old having trailering problems-I'm out of ideas! hrsrdr Horse Training 13 07-19-2008 09:23 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:20 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0