Trainer trouble
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Trainer trouble

This is a discussion on Trainer trouble within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • My horse is constantly knocking rails

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-05-2011, 10:54 PM
  #1
Yearling
Trainer trouble

So here's my little rant, bear with me!

I've been with my trainers for my entire riding career. They really used to help me a lot and always gave me tips and pointers. Well, for the past year or so (maybe more) they have not been saying anything to me unless I'm doing something extremely horrible (like getting mad at y horse for something stupid I would do) and even then they would just tell me to walk and take a breather. At a horse show in January, my horse suddenly lost SOO much weight (were talking ribs showing, hip bones sticking out, the whole deal). Since he was so skinny and out of shape, he was not round over fences, constantly ticking rails, and was ALWAYS tired. And since he was actually having bad form for the past three months, I was not placing well and was getting angry since they weren't telling me a thing, so I thought I was doing well. Well, I was at the point of selling him and being done all together because I was so angry with the situation and myself for not being able to ride my horse right. I told my father about how I was feeling (since he's super competitive and was also mad that I was not doing as well as we thought I should have been doing) and he noticed my trainer wasnt telling me as much, is anything compared to the other trainers who are up at the arena, watching their students and telling them the good and the bad. He thought I should either get a new horse, or get a new trainer. I told my trainer my dads thoughts and he immediately got a fellow trainer to help me at the show. And boy did it make a difference. Now, 2 months later, moose has gained weight, is fit, happy, and has just been awesome. My only problem is, he is still ticking rails which at the moment is the only problem. Since he's a big horse, and AQHA does not go over 3' for fences, he doesn't put forth the effort on his own. My trainer (the man, they are a married couple, the lady always used to by my eq trainer and the man more on my horse, but the lady is normally busy so the man always gives us lessons and is at the shows) told me to bridle him up, keep his attention, and use a little more leg. It worked for a little while, but it is not enough. I showed today, and the lady was here instead of the man. At first I was excited because she normally has something to say, but I was rather disappointed. She said he was great other than the rail ticking, so what did she do? Yelled at me and told me to get a little after him. Didn't work. She continued to say the same thing, and I finally said "it's not working, I don't know what to do" and she continued saying the same thing. I honestly, did not want to get after him. He was being very good, and I think he was just ticking that one jump because most of the jumps were small because of a trainer riding a green horse. Well, we did our classes and he continued to tick a few rails. I came out of my first class, not angry at my horse, but at myself. What does she say? "what do you think you need to do?" -___-. I told her multiple times after that " I don't know, I'm doing what I think but it's not working, what do I need to do?" and she never told me. The judge, was the trainer who helped me at the show in January, and obviously noticed my horses total change and placed me first in my youth classes, with ticks, and third in my open with the trainers. Now, I consider myself a hardworking student. Whenever my trainers tell me to work on something, I do it, because I want to win. I rise every day I can, and on days I can't ride, I'm out at the barn taking care of my horse or just hanging out. Switching barns is not an option. They live right down the road, and the closest AQHA trainer is 3 hours away. I'm just frustrated because I want to do what needs to be done to get moose to pick his legs up, but I can't teach myself.. It's obviously not working. I don't like wasting the thousands of dollars on trainers who don't tell me anything. It's so frustrating! Luckily, I'm showing again tomorrow and the man will be there, so maybe he will have something to say (he's normally more laid back and will tell me what I have to do if it's drastic -__-)

Thanks for listening to my extreme rant. Sorry for any typos, I wrote this on my phone because I needed to vent. I love my horse, and he has such great potential to be a constant winner, and I want to be able to rise him the right way so we can both take each other to victory. I'm willing to do whatever it takes.

Right now (ugh the continuation of my rant!!) I want a trainer that will actually get on my horse and experience it so they can tell me what I need to do. Both my trainers do not show the hunters, only train them. We have to ride through our own problems unless they are being absolutely horrible (which, knock on wood, is rarely the case). But, the trainers in my area, I doubt will be willing to ride him for free or at a cheap price, and be willing to help me. Oh the frustration -___-
Posted via Mobile Device
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-05-2011, 11:25 PM
  #2
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjump    
. I don't like wasting the thousands of dollars on trainers who don't tell me anything.
Posted via Mobile Device
You shouldn't be doing that. I was paying thousands for a trainer who had made my horse worse and was bringing me nowhere in my riding. Your trainers are ignorant and careless. For thousands of dollars you should be getting top quality training. If you are paying them thousands of dollars and getting the same results as doing it on your own then why are you paying them??? Why waste the money. Just because they are or call themselves AQHA trainers and are the only ones close to you doesn't mean they are good. It doesn't mean you should stay with them. Seriously, they are making the money and you are spending that time and money...you get what you want. You need to get somewhere with your riding and so does your horse. If you can find another knowledgeable hunter/jumper instructor, they can still help you. Just because they aren't AQHA doesn't mean that they can't help your horse's jumping form or your knowledge and experience. Open you mind and look around. Find a solution instead of wasting your time complaining and spending money. I've made this mistake already! Please listen to me! Just look into finding another trainer, looking doesn't mean that you have to go with them.
     
    03-05-2011, 11:29 PM
  #3
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPhorsemanship    
You shouldn't be doing that. I was paying thousands for a trainer who had made my horse worse and was bringing me nowhere in my riding. Your trainers are ignorant and careless. For thousands of dollars you should be getting top quality training. If you are paying them thousands of dollars and getting the same results as doing it on your own then why are you paying them??? Why waste the money. Just because they are or call themselves AQHA trainers and are the only ones close to you doesn't mean they are good. It doesn't mean you should stay with them. Seriously, they are making the money and you are spending that time and money...you get what you want. You need to get somewhere with your riding and so does your horse. If you can find another knowledgeable hunter/jumper instructor, they can still help you. Just because they aren't AQHA doesn't mean that they can't help your horse's jumping form or your knowledge and experience. Open you mind and look around. Find a solution instead of wasting your time complaining and spending money. I've made this mistake already! Please listen to me! Just look into finding another trainer, looking doesn't mean that you have to go with them.
Well, thousands of dollars for everything, not the training. We pay them for day fees and lessons, board, hauling, clipping, and shoeing. They actually are probably the only trainers in our price range, because I've looked into other ones just for help at shows. Honestly, they are my second family and I love them to death. I'm just angry because I feel like I've proven to them enough that I do want to do well. And they are good trainers when they tell me what I need to do.. They've had multiple champions and successful riders, they just need to start telling me more:/

Thanks for your honesty though, I really do appreciate it since were both going through hard trainer times!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    03-05-2011, 11:37 PM
  #4
Weanling
If they are good trainers, then go have a talk with them. Are you paying them for show coaching? Show coaching is usually under $50, if you pay them for show coaching then they'll have to coach you! Say to them "tell me every little thing I do wrong. I'll try my best to do what you tell me. Sometimes it doesn't work and I need you to help me instead of just repeating something. My horse keeps knocking jumps down, can we work on that?" Go talk to them! Set training goals for your horse(e.g. Stop knocking down rails) and set riding goals for yourself-with them.
     
    03-05-2011, 11:40 PM
  #5
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPhorsemanship    
If they are good trainers, then go have a talk with them. Are you paying them for show coaching? Show coaching is usually under $50, if you pay them for show coaching then they'll have to coach you! Say to them "tell me every little thing I do wrong. I'll try my best to do what you tell me. Sometimes it doesn't work and I need you to help me instead of just repeating something. My horse keeps knocking jumps down, can we work on that?" Go talk to them! Set training goals for your horse(e.g. Stop knocking down rails) and set riding goals for yourself-with them.
I'm going to with the male trainer tomorrow.. And I basically said that to the lady today and it didn't even make a difference. Even my mother noticed and she normally always agrees with the trainers. And he doesn't knock them down, he just ticks them haha

Thanks for all the tips, I hope they work!!:/
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    03-05-2011, 11:44 PM
  #6
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjump    
. And he doesn't knock them down, he just ticks them haha
posted via Mobile Device
Sorry, read it wrong! That's still something to work on though. And it's better than knocking them down.
     
    03-05-2011, 11:48 PM
  #7
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPhorsemanship    
Sorry, read it wrong! That's still something to work on though. And it's better than knocking them down.
I know.. He'd be tough competition if he would not hit them. He learns really fast so once I figure out whatever it is that I need to do, he will pick it up quick. I'm going to ask my trainer if he can get one of the trainers at the show tomorrow to just hop on him for a second and tell me what I have to do.. The guy has major knee problems so when he rides English, he cab only ride them for short amounts of time before he knee gets swollen unless he makes his stirrups western length haha.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    03-05-2011, 11:59 PM
  #8
Banned
Is he ticking fences of the same height at a course of the same length at home?

I do think it is possible to come to a pause with a trainer you have been with a long time as they are not sure what else to tell you and have become too comfortable.
I also think it is very possible to outgrow trainers and their knowledge, as a great many horse riders call themselves trainers.
     
    03-06-2011, 12:02 AM
  #9
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexS    
I do think it is possible to come to a pause with a trainer you have been with a long time as they are not sure what else to tell you and have become too comfortable.
I also think it is very possible to outgrow trainers and their knowledge, as a great many horse riders call themselves trainers.
I agree.
     
    03-06-2011, 12:04 AM
  #10
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexS    
Is he ticking fences of the same height at a course of the same length at home?

I do think it is possible to come to a pause with a trainer you have been with a long time as they are not sure what else to tell you and have become too comfortable.
I also think it is very possible to outgrow trainers and their knowledge, as a great many horse riders call themselves trainers.
I only jump him once a week or twice at home, and we actually make them higher at home. He's different at home than at shows, that's why I don't jump him a lot at home. He normally goes to shows with a calm mindset and focuses himself. He might also stress himself out... Maybe a possibility too..

But what I'm thinking I might do is just get help while I'm schooling at shows with another trainer, since it seems to help. I'm not leaving the barn, it's convenient and like I said, they're my second family. But I'm thinking about getting a trainer to hop on him and maybe even fix the problem if it's instantly fixable (which I doubt). But, they would be able to tell me what needs to be done so I can have some homework and work on it. I honestly don't remember the last time anyone besides me rode him.. With the exception of an occasional horse trade off with my friends.
Posted via Mobile Device
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dressage trainer or Arab trainer? knaskedov Dressage 7 01-04-2010 10:20 PM
WANTED - ASSISTANT TRAINER S to NATURAL HORSEMANSHIP TRAINER Lolabydream Natural Horsemanship 0 03-23-2009 06:27 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0