Trainers Riding Their Student's Horse - Page 13
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Trainers Riding Their Student's Horse

This is a discussion on Trainers Riding Their Student's Horse within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree207Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        09-18-2012, 11:42 AM
      #121
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Golden Horse    
    Well if you're coming north anyway, you could hop a couple of provinces west and come visit
    Why don't you come a little further east! We can make a week of it!
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        09-18-2012, 11:55 AM
      #122
    Super Moderator
    Cinny, sorry for the hijack. No more talk of the clinic. I will start a thread when all details are worked out.

    Cinny, stay strong and committed to moving ever forward. You have already made huge improvements and I am sure you will continue to progress.

    Have you looked in your area for an accomplished trainer that you can go to every now and then? If you take lessons like a "clinic" you could work on things in between. I have students who can't afford more than one lesson every month or so. I send them home with tons of homework so that they can, hopefully, come to the next lesson with some progress.

    Do you have a trailer? If you trailer out, Maybe you don't even have to tell your present trainer, to avoid conflict. I have no problem with my students going to clinics or even other instructors. I have a student who also shows hunters. I am NOT a hunter instructor and made sure she went to a good coach for that.
    Corporal and NBEventer like this.
         
        09-18-2012, 11:59 AM
      #123
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Allison Finch    
    Cinny, sorry for the hijack. No more talk of the clinic. I will start a thread when all details are worked out.

    Cinny, stay strong and committed to moving ever forward. You have already made huge improvements and I am sure you will continue to progress.

    Have you looked in your area for an accomplished trainer that you can go to every now and then? If you take lessons like a "clinic" you could work on things in between. I have students who can't afford more than one lesson every month or so. I send them home with tons of homework so that they can, hopefully, come to the next lesson with some progress.

    Do you have a trailer? If you trailer out, Maybe you don't even have to tell your present trainer, to avoid conflict. I have no problem with my students going to clinics or even other instructors. I have a student who also shows hunters. I am NOT a hunter instructor and made sure she went to a good coach for that.
    I think this is a great idea. I would reach out for as many clinics as you can. I LOVE clinics. I am almost at the point where I don't take lessons from a regular coach anymore because I find most of the coaches in the area(except for two) don't really offer the level of coaching I need. So I am always on the look out for a clinic.

    So as Allison said, look for someone that you can go to once a month or so to get some homework. Its not the cheapest option if you don't own a trailer but its still better then taking lessons from someone who isn't really giving you what you need.
         
        09-18-2012, 12:13 PM
      #124
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Allison Finch    
    Cinny, sorry for the hijack. No more talk of the clinic. I will start a thread when all details are worked out.

    Cinny, stay strong and committed to moving ever forward. You have already made huge improvements and I am sure you will continue to progress.

    Have you looked in your area for an accomplished trainer that you can go to every now and then? If you take lessons like a "clinic" you could work on things in between. I have students who can't afford more than one lesson every month or so. I send them home with tons of homework so that they can, hopefully, come to the next lesson with some progress.

    Do you have a trailer? If you trailer out, Maybe you don't even have to tell your present trainer, to avoid conflict. I have no problem with my students going to clinics or even other instructors. I have a student who also shows hunters. I am NOT a hunter instructor and made sure she went to a good coach for that.
    Awesome idea...sadly no trailer, no truck to haul trailer :( I have gone down the list of trainers listed on the site for Nebraska Dressage Association...all of them are full. I am on the waiting list of all that have lesson horses. There is a really great riding program an hour and a half away...I'm on their waiting list too. It seems that as soon as showing season ended everyone rushed to the trainers to get their winter work going.

    Yesterday I went to see Cinny. He has been on somewhat of a vacation with only a few "play" rides bareback...about once a week. A LOT of turnout, a lot of breaking fences, getting sprayed by skunks and well...being a horse. Anyway..I was a bit mopey yesterday and while grooming him and massaging those poor muscles on his back that the saddle messed up I was getting depressed over what had happened with the saddle and that I had TRAINED him to not round out, not use his back, not extend (every time he tried the saddle apparently hurt him and I didn't know it until the saddle fitter pointed it out). I was thinking that it's going to take me at least a year to teach him it won't hurt anymore and to untrain what had been done and get him to trust.

    I decided to just do some basics and we ended up having one of the best rides we had in a long time...and I am now confident that the situation with his back isn't as bad as I thought.... You can read more here I think Cinny and I had an "A-Ha" day today..opinions please And my workouts at the gym have made a HUGE improvement. I think I'm going to get addicted to the ab/core machines LOL.
    Allison Finch likes this.
         
        09-18-2012, 12:19 PM
      #125
    Green Broke
    If you can get a yoga ball(get the anti burst ones) there are AMAZING core exercises you can do. I am currently in physio because I took a flying lesson and dislocated my SI. My physio said if I had more core strength it never would have happened.

    I currently do exercises where I sit on the ball and do hip circles, then side to side and forward and back. Then you slide down so your shoulders/head are on the ball and your hips are in line so you are almost like a table and make sure you have your pelvice straight so you are almost pulling your belly button up to your chest. It is a great work out. Also sit ups on the yoga ball are great.

    I am in love with my yoga ball!!! My physio made me addicted lol. Also when you sit in a chair, don't use the back rest. Sit straight and pull your core tight and keep good proper posture. Same with walking, think of sucking it in and up!! I've been doing this for almost 3 weeks and the difference it has made is insane.
    Cinnys Whinny likes this.
         
        09-18-2012, 01:08 PM
      #126
    Trained
    I just bought this book http://www.amazon.com/Riders-Fitness-Program-Dianna-Dennis/dp/1580175422 I love it, very clear and easy instructions, good diagrams and a range of things to do to tone riding muscles.....now all I need to do is get started.

    Oh you do need some equipment or access to a gym, but most stuff you can get around I think
    Cinnys Whinny likes this.
         
        09-18-2012, 01:22 PM
      #127
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NBEventer    
    If you can get a yoga ball(get the anti burst ones) there are AMAZING core exercises you can do. I am currently in physio because I took a flying lesson and dislocated my SI. My physio said if I had more core strength it never would have happened.

    I currently do exercises where I sit on the ball and do hip circles, then side to side and forward and back. Then you slide down so your shoulders/head are on the ball and your hips are in line so you are almost like a table and make sure you have your pelvice straight so you are almost pulling your belly button up to your chest. It is a great work out. Also sit ups on the yoga ball are great.

    I am in love with my yoga ball!!! My physio made me addicted lol. Also when you sit in a chair, don't use the back rest. Sit straight and pull your core tight and keep good proper posture. Same with walking, think of sucking it in and up!! I've been doing this for almost 3 weeks and the difference it has made is insane.
    I love my Yoga/Pilates ball. I have 2 different sizes. I sit on the big one at the computer and practice using my core to balance with my feet off the ground. I have also learned to "post" on the ball and only balance with one finger touching the wall....took me a week but I can do it. I use the smaller one for modified push ups...your slightly raised which makes it a little easier yet you have to balance while doing them working your core and for squeezing with my thighs when I watch tv which seems to be a hubby turn on too for some reason LOL. I'm going to try the ones you mentioned too...I've been looking for more things to do with them :)
         
        09-18-2012, 01:32 PM
      #128
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NBEventer    
    Why don't you come a little further east! We can make a week of it!

    Because the world revolves around me, and you should all come here!!

    OK Cinny, back to your scheduled programming
         
        10-03-2012, 02:30 PM
      #129
    Yearling
    My trainer insists on riding the horses...she'll even have you hop off your horse and she'll get on him if she notices something she wants to try to fix. Unfortunately, she's recovering from a hip replacement surgery so she's supposed to be resting.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Student did a sky dive off horse today catsandhorses Horse Riding 3 09-22-2011 01:02 AM
    Lookingg for a Working Student Position, Have you heard of these Trainers? Freedomhowler Dressage 12 03-14-2011 08:39 AM
    Hi everyone! Just joined. Student horse owner here! Casval Meet the Community 5 03-10-2011 11:59 PM
    Being a Working Student - from Horse & Hound dantexeventer Horse Articles 5 04-19-2010 09:20 PM
    College student starting riding again- Need English TACK sweetwhispers Tack and Equipment Classifieds 2 02-23-2010 11:38 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:22 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0