Training foals - The Horse Forum
 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-31-2011, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nebraskaaa
Posts: 49
• Horses: 1
Training foals

So I am 13, I am hopefully (praying I do) getting Nita, a 7 month old QH filly soon. She is perfect for me. My dad just has to get me over there to get her lol. I am thinking if she turns out good that I will start training for the public. What do you guys think?
Barrels4Lyfe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 10-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Higgins, TX. YeeHaw!!
Posts: 22,140
• Horses: 24
I think, with you being as young as you are, your time would be much better served taking lessons from a good trainer and eventually working under a good trainer as an apprentice. That way when you run into something that you don't know how to handle (and you will), you'll have someone much more experienced right there to help you and show you what to do to get the best results with minimal risk to either you or the horse.

Then, in a few years, if you decide that's still what you want to do and if you have a knack for it, you may be able to put your own shingle out for the public.

Always remember that feeling of looking at a big, open country over the ears of a good horse, seeing a new trail unwind ahead of you, and that ever-spectacular view from the top of the ridge!!! Follow my training blog: http://robertsontraining.blogspot.com/
smrobs is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 10-31-2011, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nebraskaaa
Posts: 49
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs View Post
I think, with you being as young as you are, your time would be much better served taking lessons from a good trainer and eventually working under a good trainer as an apprentice. That way when you run into something that you don't know how to handle (and you will), you'll have someone much more experienced right there to help you and show you what to do to get the best results with minimal risk to either you or the horse.

Then, in a few years, if you decide that's still what you want to do and if you have a knack for it, you may be able to put your own shingle out for the public.
Alright, well I would have help from a bunch of my friends if I needed it. But it will be 2 1/2 years or so before I would have Nita finished so I might just wait to see how she turns out. I have already trained a green horse for barrels and shes the one I show now. So I might just start that at first (training horses for discliplines I do) because to me its easier then fully training a horse if you know what your doing. Then I would eventually get into fully training other peoples horses.

I love my cow horses. Foundys rule. That is all.
Barrels4Lyfe is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 10-31-2011, 07:24 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,175
• Horses: 3
With all your good intentions, which are great that you have a goal, you need to be aware that due to your age, you will have some trouble finding clients, even if you DO have the skill to break a horse. There are plenty of experienced breakers/trainers that have been in the business for more than double your time on earth, with a wealth of experience in working with various horses. Unfortunately training a foal and a couple of green horses doesn't make you a professional trainer - to become known in the horse world as a reputable trainer, you will need to train and break numerous horses before you'll even get a look in. All horses are different, and you might be lucky with the foal and have a very quiet, trainable one. But if a client sends you something that is genuinely dangerous and a very big challenge, you will lack the experience to deal with it.

I would advise that you keep honing and building on your skills, work with multiple horses, spend as much time as you can with reputable trainers and when you've got that experience, start offering your services. And I'm talking years - like when you're in your 20's.

~Horse & Hound Artistry~.

Website: www.horseandhoundartistry.com
Kayty is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 10-31-2011, 07:53 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Olds, AB Canada
Posts: 2,749
• Horses: 2
I don't understand how that filly will be finished in 2 1/2 years... but aren't going to fully train her?? Like skip the basics and go straight to barrels?

Horses are scared of two things... Things that move and things that don't.
Ray MacDonald is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 10-31-2011, 10:44 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,256
• Horses: 2
Maybe you're very gifted in horses. You very well could be.

But I am 34 and raising my first foal and it is so much harder than I ever thought it would be! I have ridden for 17 years and I still can't get my foal the way I want him. So I dunno. I pray your baby turns out just the way you want her. But I don't think you are ready to hang out a shingle yet. Give it a few years (and a few more horses) and then you may be ready.

Best of luck and I hope you have a blast with your foal.
kevinshorses and Barrels4Lyfe like this.
trailhorserider is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 10-31-2011, 10:49 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 5,455
• Horses: 1
You've got a long long ways to go before you're ready to take someones money for training a horse. Smrobs gave very good advice, you should take it.

There's nothing like the Rockies in the springtime... Nothing like the freedom in the air... And there ain't nothing better than draggin calves to the fire and there's nothing like the smell of burning hair. -Brenn Hill
kevinshorses is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 10-31-2011, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nebraskaaa
Posts: 49
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayty View Post
With all your good intentions, which are great that you have a goal, you need to be aware that due to your age, you will have some trouble finding clients, even if you DO have the skill to break a horse. There are plenty of experienced breakers/trainers that have been in the business for more than double your time on earth, with a wealth of experience in working with various horses. Unfortunately training a foal and a couple of green horses doesn't make you a professional trainer - to become known in the horse world as a reputable trainer, you will need to train and break numerous horses before you'll even get a look in. All horses are different, and you might be lucky with the foal and have a very quiet, trainable one. But if a client sends you something that is genuinely dangerous and a very big challenge, you will lack the experience to deal with it.

I would advise that you keep honing and building on your skills, work with multiple horses, spend as much time as you can with reputable trainers and when you've got that experience, start offering your services. And I'm talking years - like when you're in your 20's.
Yeah, I love working with hard horses but I've never done it from the start with breaking them, so I understand what your saying.
Alright, I think thats what will end up happening anyways lol.
I am helping my friend who trains horses with a bunch of his Welsh ponies because he needs alot trained and I will help him for free. And also my "riding coach" (my dads friend) who trains horses and teaches me will also help me learn the tricks of the trade.

I love my cow horses. Foundys rule. That is all.
Barrels4Lyfe is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 10-31-2011, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nebraskaaa
Posts: 49
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
I don't understand how that filly will be finished in 2 1/2 years... but aren't going to fully train her?? Like skip the basics and go straight to barrels?
No, I mean Im hoping to be starting her under the saddle around 3, because I don't like to start at 2 especially with Nitas bone structure right now even. And then I will have more time to do other things because I won't be training her like you have to work with a young (6 months-2 years) horse. If that even made sense lol.

I love my cow horses. Foundys rule. That is all.
Barrels4Lyfe is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 10-31-2011, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nebraskaaa
Posts: 49
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhorserider View Post
Maybe you're very gifted in horses. You very well could be.

But I am 34 and raising my first foal and it is so much harder than I ever thought it would be! I have ridden for 17 years and I still can't get my foal the way I want him. So I dunno. I pray your baby turns out just the way you want her. But I don't think you are ready to hang out a shingle yet. Give it a few years (and a few more horses) and then you may be ready.

Best of luck and I hope you have a blast with your foal.
Thanks! I am hoping to go see/pick her up within the next 2 weeks if I can. I might end up paying my friend $100 extra to keep her for me. I am starting from the very beginning with her, she is 7 months and barely has had any work done with her except for halter and trailer training. I like to just get a bond with the horse first then it will want to listen and obey me more.

I love my cow horses. Foundys rule. That is all.
Barrels4Lyfe is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Training young foals - advice? Equus_girl Horse Talk 2 03-27-2011 10:48 AM
Update on my foals training dw9501 Horse Training 2 09-08-2009 07:47 PM
Training Young Foals Equus_girl Horse Training 7 03-05-2009 02:52 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome