Training to take a bit?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Training to take a bit?

This is a discussion on Training to take a bit? within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Mona lisa mouthpiece bit
  • Traing a horse to take a bit

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By smrobs
  • 1 Post By Wanstrom Horses

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-11-2013, 02:10 PM
  #1
Weanling
Training to take a bit?

What was your most successful method of teaching your horse to take a bit?

Apollo has been bridled in the past but not since I have had him. I went to bridle him for the first time and he wouldn't take the bit. He would stand there calmly while I tried to get him to take it, but he didn't want to, or maybe didn't understand what I was wanting of him? He just stood there with his head low, he wasn't trying to get his head away, he just didn't want to open his mouth. I ended up tricking him with a small piece of carrot and slipped the bit into his mouth. He didn't mind it at all and let me adjust the bridle to his head! He didn't chew on the bit at all and was very good about it, he just stood there contently waiting for me to lead him. I'm just curious how you have trained your horses to take bits and see if any of those work for him!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-11-2013, 02:23 PM
  #2
Showing
They have to learn to open their mouth just like anything else. I just stick my thumb in the side of their mouth and wiggle it around until they open up, then I slip the bit in.

Works every time and once they figure it out, they will often open up when I bring the bit to their lips.
     
    02-12-2013, 12:08 AM
  #3
Green Broke
You stick fingers into mouth while holding bit as you pull up headstall. You don't train them to take it.
     
    02-12-2013, 09:46 AM
  #4
Yearling
Once your horse gets the idea of taking the bit- you can reinforce it to make your life easier- I hate having to stick my hands in a horse's mouth to get the bit in, it is extremely uncomfortable for me bc I haven't found the right way to do it yet... so when I bought my at the time 3 yr old mare, I would calmly wait with the bit at her lips, when she opened her mouth (she was trained to take it, w/ hands in her mouth), I would slide the bit in, then pop a carrot chunk in. I did this most every time for a couple of weeks. She has since then very readily opened her mouth plenty wide enough for me to just politely slide the bit in for her. :) And we haven't done treats as a standard thing for it in ages.
     
    02-12-2013, 10:17 AM
  #5
Yearling
My finished horses will pick a spade up and carry it without a headstall. When they are colts, I just stick two fingers in their mouth and they open. Then I pop the bit in and follow up with a lot of praise. I do this repeatedly, and they eventually just open their mouth when they feel the bit at their lips, just like Smrobs stated. You just have to be careful not to ram it in their mouth or drag it across their teeth, they will eventually take it willingly, the carrot chunk trick works, unless you have a bit with a complicated mouthpiece. The first time you have to dig carrot out of the hood on a Mona Lisa, you won't use treats again. Lol. Good luck!
smrobs likes this.
     
    02-12-2013, 10:53 AM
  #6
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanstrom Horses    
My finished horses will pick a spade up and carry it without a headstall. When they are colts, I just stick two fingers in their mouth and they open. Then I pop the bit in and follow up with a lot of praise. I do this repeatedly, and they eventually just open their mouth when they feel the bit at their lips, just like Smrobs stated. You just have to be careful not to ram it in their mouth or drag it across their teeth, they will eventually take it willingly, the carrot chunk trick works, unless you have a bit with a complicated mouthpiece. The first time you have to dig carrot out of the hood on a Mona Lisa, you won't use treats again. Lol. Good luck!
Ha, yes I am sure complicated bits wouldn't work with that trick. I don't even know what a Mona Lisa is! :) My horse has a simple D ring French snaffle, so nothing to stick anywhere! :) Praise works too I am sure. I was just a bit unsure of myself when I taught her, and needed that extra carrot reinforcement for myself as well lol. :P
     
    02-12-2013, 01:41 PM
  #7
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracielaGata    
Ha, yes I am sure complicated bits wouldn't work with that trick. I don't even know what a Mona Lisa is! :) My horse has a simple D ring French snaffle, so nothing to stick anywhere! :) Praise works too I am sure. I was just a bit unsure of myself when I taught her, and needed that extra carrot reinforcement for myself as well lol. :P
It's basically a really high ported bit with a covered copper port and a cricket. Yeah, if you have a simple snaffle up you can just rinse off, it works.
     
    02-12-2013, 01:48 PM
  #8
Weanling
Thanks for the advice. I think Ill just stick to my carrot chunks then!

I used the finger trick at my old barn when helping with a green horse and it did the trick! But ever since Apollo was dewormed and had that syringe type thing in his mouth, he doesn't like me sticking my finger in his mouth because he thinks that I'm going to deworm him again (we are slowly working on him getting use to getting his mouth touched again...he was fine with it before and is getting better about it), but I don't want him to be tossing his head around when I put on his bridle by using my finger and making it more stressful for him.
     
    02-12-2013, 05:31 PM
  #9
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellybean    
Thanks for the advice. I think Ill just stick to my carrot chunks then!

I used the finger trick at my old barn when helping with a green horse and it did the trick! But ever since Apollo was dewormed and had that syringe type thing in his mouth, he doesn't like me sticking my finger in his mouth because he thinks that I'm going to deworm him again (we are slowly working on him getting use to getting his mouth touched again...he was fine with it before and is getting better about it), but I don't want him to be tossing his head around when I put on his bridle by using my finger and making it more stressful for him.
What about carrots you actually put into his mouth with your hands (or nearly so, just to mimic your hands in his mouth) as a regular thing, to break him of the fear of wormer coming? Lots and Lots of times :)
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A month of dressage training or hunter/jumper training? kerplop Horse Training 13 10-05-2012 02:06 PM
Foundation Reining Training Centre - Training Quality??? Monty77 Horse Training 4 02-10-2012 04:59 PM
misty is no longer in training training got shortened no me. mistygirl Horse Training 31 01-15-2011 01:56 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0