Trick Training? For or Against? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Trick Training? For or Against?

This is a discussion on Trick Training? For or Against? within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree4Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        10-31-2011, 07:01 PM
      #11
    Yearling
    I love personally teaching tricks, but I hate dealing with horses that are taught to do tricks poorly. I teach tricks just like I would teach anything else, pressure and release. I've used very minimal treats and kept very strict guidelines on how they are done. I also know that Jake will never be sold and has his retirement home just waiting for him when he is ready for the pasture puff life. Jake knows how to nod yes, shake no, paw, Spanish walk, bow, lay down, rear and I've been working on teaching him to pick things up.

    I have had just as many problems with the laying Down as I have had with rearing. Jake doesn't lay down to avoid work or wanting a treat but when he got frustrated he would lay down. I have video of it...then the rearing was for AFTER he had a horrible rearing problem and flipped on me. I taught him to rear with balance and he no longer is a suicidal rearer. I will/have not told anyone how to do it because it is not something to play with.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        10-31-2011, 07:42 PM
      #12
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tianimalz    
    That's what I did!


    Working on getting her to do it on voice command It was the easiest and clearest method I could find, and within one session she fully understood what I'm asking for when I hold a carrot under her tummy and pleasantly ask "Bow."

    It isn't the *correct* bowing method, but for a backyard trick it's pretty cute and the neighbor kids think Indie is the most amazing "pony" ever.
    Thas how I taught my boy too, but it was ten times harder as he wont eat carrots, so I used pepper mints, and I got my fingers bit more than once...

    Beautiful horse by the way!
         
        10-31-2011, 08:40 PM
      #13
    Trained
    Some tricks, such as bowing, yeah, cute, harmless.
    But it makes me cringe and want to give the kid a giant lecture when I see them teaching horses to paw the ground, rear, kiss etc. So, so SO dangerous. This is NOT a cool party trick. Rearing in particular. If you want the horse to stand up, flip over and kill you - by all means, go right agead. VERY cool trick that, how about sitting in hospital in a coma, living life as a vegetable or spending it in a wheel chair unable to move your arms and legs... what a cool trick!!!

    Pawing the ground, seemingly harmless at the time. You ever been on the receiving end of a strike? No? How do you like a broken leg? Or if you're lucky a whopping great bruise or laceration requiring multiple stitches. Again, very cool trick, you'll get some good photo's of your ruined leg for facebook, COOL!!

    Kissing - oh gee, how cute :) Your kyoot poneee gives you 'kisses' on the cheek.... how about when cute pony wants a treat NOW and gives you a good chomp? A friend of mine lost his entire bottom lip when his 'kyoot' 17hh warmblood stallion wanted the carrot in his pocket, and went through his list of tricks to get it without being asked. Kiss turned into a really cute 'love bite'. Want a horse hicky? Teach him how to kiss - sure you might lose a lip, nose or cheek, but how cute, and hey, MORE really cool facebook photos to show off.
    What more could you want? How cute :)
         
        10-31-2011, 08:51 PM
      #14
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kayty    
    Some tricks, such as bowing, yeah, cute, harmless.
    But it makes me cringe and want to give the kid a giant lecture when I see them teaching horses to paw the ground, rear, kiss etc. So, so SO dangerous. This is NOT a cool party trick. Rearing in particular. If you want the horse to stand up, flip over and kill you - by all means, go right agead. VERY cool trick that, how about sitting in hospital in a coma, living life as a vegetable or spending it in a wheel chair unable to move your arms and legs... what a cool trick!!!

    Pawing the ground, seemingly harmless at the time. You ever been on the receiving end of a strike? No? How do you like a broken leg? Or if you're lucky a whopping great bruise or laceration requiring multiple stitches. Again, very cool trick, you'll get some good photo's of your ruined leg for facebook, COOL!!

    Kissing - oh gee, how cute :) Your kyoot poneee gives you 'kisses' on the cheek.... how about when cute pony wants a treat NOW and gives you a good chomp? A friend of mine lost his entire bottom lip when his 'kyoot' 17hh warmblood stallion wanted the carrot in his pocket, and went through his list of tricks to get it without being asked. Kiss turned into a really cute 'love bite'. Want a horse hicky? Teach him how to kiss - sure you might lose a lip, nose or cheek, but how cute, and hey, MORE really cool facebook photos to show off.
    What more could you want? How cute :)
    Lol, I loved this although you were a little harsh But yes, I used to carry treats out into the pasture, but it actually turned my horse into a raging monster whenever I got out their, especially if I didn't have a treat... I know teaching a horse to give kisses could end up pretty bad
         
        10-31-2011, 08:55 PM
      #15
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Over Jump    
    Lol, I loved this although you were a little harsh But yes, I used to carry treats out into the pasture, but it actually turned my horse into a raging monster whenever I got out their, especially if I didn't have a treat... I know teaching a horse to give kisses could end up pretty bad
    Gotta be cruel to be kind Have seen too many genuinely stupid injuries caused by trick training that could so easily have been prevented. Leave it to the pro's guys, not in your backyard.
         
        10-31-2011, 09:03 PM
      #16
    Started
    So true!
         
        10-31-2011, 09:13 PM
      #17
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kayty    
    Kissing - oh gee, how cute :) Your kyoot poneee gives you 'kisses' on the cheek.... how about when cute pony wants a treat NOW and gives you a good chomp? A friend of mine lost his entire bottom lip when his 'kyoot' 17hh warmblood stallion wanted the carrot in his pocket, and went through his list of tricks to get it without being asked. Kiss turned into a really cute 'love bite'. Want a horse hicky? Teach him how to kiss - sure you might lose a lip, nose or cheek, but how cute, and hey, MORE really cool facebook photos to show off.
    What more could you want? How cute :)
    I use the kissy trick too 8) Never gave treats though, it was just something Indie was able to pick up by herself. I lift her muzzle to my face and say "Gimme kisses" and she'll move her lip back and forth and then that's it. Though I can see how it wouldn't be a good idea with a naturally lippy horse, or one that is likely to take it too far, the trick itself isn't bad.
         
        10-31-2011, 09:14 PM
      #18
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Over Jump    

    Beautiful horse by the way!
    Thank you ^^
         
        10-31-2011, 09:49 PM
      #19
    Trained
    The stallion that took off my friend's lip wasn't a naturally lippy horse. Had never bitten anyone, you would never have picked him as a stallion. This is where the problem comes in, kids thinking their horse 'loves' them and would never hurt them, or their horse has never done anything nasty so why would they now? Usually it's these horses that end up causing the problems because the owner is no so tuned in to when a negative behaviour is going to occur.
         
        10-31-2011, 10:01 PM
      #20
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kayty    
    The stallion that took off my friend's lip wasn't a naturally lippy horse. Had never bitten anyone, you would never have picked him as a stallion. This is where the problem comes in, kids thinking their horse 'loves' them and would never hurt them, or their horse has never done anything nasty so why would they now? Usually it's these horses that end up causing the problems because the owner is no so tuned in to when a negative behaviour is going to occur.
    Yes, but just because a few people misinterpret a horses tricks for food/attention is beyond that, doesn't mean the trick itself is to blame. I also know when not to ask for things, I mean if my mare is in heat and I KNOW she is moody that day, there is no way you can get me to stick my face to her lips. It's a party trick, and usually used to make little girls who come over to play giggle.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Trick Training Infinity Horse Training 5 01-27-2011 01:38 AM
    Mia Trick Training ChingazMyBoy Other Pets 0 08-13-2009 12:53 AM
    Trick Training ChingazMyBoy Horse Training 3 06-19-2009 02:38 PM
    Trick Training firelight27 Horse Training 6 07-26-2007 04:08 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:49 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0