Trick Training Thread - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 43 Old 10-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: central PA
Posts: 1,228
• Horses: 2
^^ I have always wondered that myself , I would like to teach my mustang how to do the Spanish walk too.

Horses and children, I often think, have a lot of the good sense there is in the world.
Josephine Demott Robinson
Feed, muck, groom, ride. Repeat daily!
RadHenry09 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 43 Old 10-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,245
• Horses: 1
Spanish Walk...


Do whatever cue you want to use (tapping the shoulder with a whip works well), lift up one leg, stick it out, set it down, praise horse. Repeat a few times a day for quite a while. Then do your cue and see if he'll do it without you lifting his leg for him. If he does, practice that for a while, and teach him again with the other leg. You will have to start over from scratch. Horses have a problem transferring tricks from one side of their body to the other... So don't be surprised if your horse acts like he has no idea what you want him to do when you switch legs. He actually doesn't. So just be patient. Once he learns it on that side, do back to the other side to refresh his memory. Then you should be able to get him to do one leg and then the other. Once he is solid with this trick on the ground, try it from the saddle. Tap him on the shoulder and see what happens. If he doesn't do anything, try having someone stand on the ground and give him the cue while you're on his back to remind him. Then try it again from the saddle, and it should work. Good luck : ]



Oh, and if he doesn't want to lift his leg up that high, don't worry about it at this point. Once he knows the trick extremely well and won't get confused, you can train him to lift his leg higher by giving him the cue over and over until he lifts his leg as high as you want it. Then stop and praise him. He'll get the picture.
CloudsMystique is offline  
post #23 of 43 Old 10-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 144
• Horses: 0
I wanna know how to teach a horse to, like...not lie down on their side, but pull their legs under themselves and lie down so I can just slide onto their backs. Anyone know what I mean? >.>
Lily of the Valley is offline  
post #24 of 43 Old 10-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,245
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily of the Valley View Post
I wanna know how to teach a horse to, like...not lie down on their side, but pull their legs under themselves and lie down so I can just slide onto their backs. Anyone know what I mean? >.>



I know what you mean... Most horses will do that automatically when you teach them to lay down. You usually have to teach them to lay on their side.
CloudsMystique is offline  
post #25 of 43 Old 10-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: central PA
Posts: 1,228
• Horses: 2
Thanks CloudsMystique...I am gonna try that...

Horses and children, I often think, have a lot of the good sense there is in the world.
Josephine Demott Robinson
Feed, muck, groom, ride. Repeat daily!
RadHenry09 is offline  
post #26 of 43 Old 10-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 144
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudsMystique View Post
I know what you mean... Most horses will do that automatically when you teach them to lay down. You usually have to teach them to lay on their side.
So teach them to lay on their side, then teach them to stop when they're in the position I want?
Lily of the Valley is offline  
post #27 of 43 Old 10-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,245
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily of the Valley View Post
So teach them to lay on their side, then teach them to stop when they're in the position I want?
No... That's not what I meant. I mean if you teach him to lay down like I said, he should lay down the way you want, not flat on his side (unless you push him over once he lays down). So just don't push him over.
CloudsMystique is offline  
post #28 of 43 Old 10-01-2009, 11:41 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 144
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudsMystique View Post
No... That's not what I meant. I mean if you teach him to lay down like I said, he should lay down the way you want, not flat on his side (unless you push him over once he lays down). So just don't push him over.
Ah, gotcha. Cool. Hopefully I'll have a horse that I can teach that someday.
Lily of the Valley is offline  
post #29 of 43 Old 10-02-2009, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Queensland, Australia.
Posts: 4,488
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudsMystique View Post
Spanish Walk...


Do whatever cue you want to use (tapping the shoulder with a whip works well), lift up one leg, stick it out, set it down, praise horse. Repeat a few times a day for quite a while. Then do your cue and see if he'll do it without you lifting his leg for him. If he does, practice that for a while, and teach him again with the other leg. You will have to start over from scratch. Horses have a problem transferring tricks from one side of their body to the other... So don't be surprised if your horse acts like he has no idea what you want him to do when you switch legs. He actually doesn't. So just be patient. Once he learns it on that side, do back to the other side to refresh his memory. Then you should be able to get him to do one leg and then the other. Once he is solid with this trick on the ground, try it from the saddle. Tap him on the shoulder and see what happens. If he doesn't do anything, try having someone stand on the ground and give him the cue while you're on his back to remind him. Then try it again from the saddle, and it should work. Good luck : ]



Oh, and if he doesn't want to lift his leg up that high, don't worry about it at this point. Once he knows the trick extremely well and won't get confused, you can train him to lift his leg higher by giving him the cue over and over until he lifts his leg as high as you want it. Then stop and praise him. He'll get the picture.
That sounds really cool, I'll have to give that ago sometime!

Sir Success. Eventer.
2000 - 2013,
ChingazMyBoy is offline  
post #30 of 43 Old 10-02-2009, 01:09 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,641
• Horses: 0
Chance learned the spanish walk by copying me. When ever I lefted my leg she did, so I rewarded it. Eventually we got to where When I lift my left she lifts her left etc. Now we got like 4 steps. We havent worked on it in a long time! She also will step up to ANY platform there is like a mounting block or a pedastool its fun :)
HorsesAreForever is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trick Training? RubaiyateBandit Horse Training 10 09-23-2009 02:53 PM
Mia Trick Training ChingazMyBoy Other Pets 0 08-13-2009 12:53 AM
Trick Training ChingazMyBoy Horse Training 3 06-19-2009 02:38 PM
Trick Training firelight27 Horse Training 6 07-26-2007 04:08 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome