Troubles.. - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Troubles..

This is a discussion on Troubles.. within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree13Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-17-2013, 06:27 PM
      #11
    Green Broke
    Just be consistent, the second you feel him slow down give a light tug /kiss/tap do he doesn't stop. Also some horses it doesn't take long to attach to another horse, especially if they are insecure. Just take him out as much as possible .
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-17-2013, 06:29 PM
      #12
    Weanling
    This is my boyfriend walking him yesterday, before the mishap

    Corey walking Ares - YouTube
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        04-17-2013, 06:31 PM
      #13
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BarrelracingArabian    
    Just be consistent, the second you feel him slow down give a light tug /kiss/tap do he doesn't stop. Also some horses it doesn't take long to attach to another horse, especially if they are insecure. Just take him out as much as possible .
    He does get along well with the herd, he just really got attached to this horse. I am trying to work with him as much as possible; visiting him, walking him, feeding him, etc
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        04-18-2013, 03:27 PM
      #14
    Weanling
    Java, after reading your post and watching the video I had a pretty good idea of what was going on but one post is only a snapshot. Before posting a comment I did a little homework and read your threads going back to 2009. You aren't new to horses and have access to knowable people so that's not the problem. Also we can nitpick individual horses training, bad experiences etc. but the one consistant element in all of these horse snags your having is you.
    I do not know you or anything about your life and what's going on but what I see in this thread and in your others is that you're having trouble with commanding the horse's respect and attention.
    This is likely sounding like a jerky response. It's not intended to be in any way. If you go back and look at the problems you've had with various horses it all comes down to a matter of the horse not respecting you. I think you know what you're supposed to do and what the horse is supposed to do but that message is getting lost. The saddle thing is a red herring. One less than optimal experience is not going to traumatize a horse. He can relearn saddles in about 10 minutes of positive experience. And just as quick as he can relearn that he can learn to respect you and feel safe with you. Unfortunately you just spent three hours teaching him that you are HIS follower.
    Like I said, I don't have any idea what is going on in your life but what I see is that your head in not fully in the game. Your horse is not trying to take advantage of you, he's just trying not to get eaten. And that means following the guy who's paying attention is smarter than he is.
    Bottom line: You know what to do. Stay focused and dialed in. He'll respond in kind.
         
        04-18-2013, 11:06 PM
      #15
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreenBackJack    
    Java, after reading your post and watching the video I had a pretty good idea of what was going on but one post is only a snapshot. Before posting a comment I did a little homework and read your threads going back to 2009. You aren't new to horses and have access to knowable people so that's not the problem. Also we can nitpick individual horses training, bad experiences etc. but the one consistant element in all of these horse snags your having is you.
    I do not know you or anything about your life and what's going on but what I see in this thread and in your others is that you're having trouble with commanding the horse's respect and attention.
    This is likely sounding like a jerky response. It's not intended to be in any way. If you go back and look at the problems you've had with various horses it all comes down to a matter of the horse not respecting you. I think you know what you're supposed to do and what the horse is supposed to do but that message is getting lost. The saddle thing is a red herring. One less than optimal experience is not going to traumatize a horse. He can relearn saddles in about 10 minutes of positive experience. And just as quick as he can relearn that he can learn to respect you and feel safe with you. Unfortunately you just spent three hours teaching him that you are HIS follower.
    Like I said, I don't have any idea what is going on in your life but what I see is that your head in not fully in the game. Your horse is not trying to take advantage of you, he's just trying not to get eaten. And that means following the guy who's paying attention is smarter than he is.
    Bottom line: You know what to do. Stay focused and dialed in. He'll respond in kind.
    Thank you for the honest response. I do have a very hard time demanding respect with horses, I know that. Sometimes I just feel like I'm not doing things right and new a little push in the right direction.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        04-18-2013, 11:27 PM
      #16
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaLover    
    I usually just pretend to keep walking forward and he follows, or give him a little smack with the lead rope. Is there any other way to overcome this?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    This is a really good start. Now do one step better and as another poster said when you feel him begin to slow down, ask him to pick up the pace again. Cluck to him, swing the excess rope in your offside hand towards his rump as you keep walking until he makes a change. Then just go back to normally walking him.
         
        04-19-2013, 01:25 AM
      #17
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
    This is a really good start. Now do one step better and as another poster said when you feel him begin to slow down, ask him to pick up the pace again. Cluck to him, swing the excess rope in your offside hand towards his rump as you keep walking until he makes a change. Then just go back to normally walking him.
    I will do this!
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        04-19-2013, 11:22 AM
      #18
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    you're having trouble with commanding the horse's respect and attention.
    this sounds like exactly it. Have you ever tried doing some Clinton anderson groundwork? He's pretty good at respect building excercises.
         
        04-19-2013, 12:51 PM
      #19
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlueSpark    
    this sounds like exactly it. Have you ever tried doing some Clinton anderson groundwork? He's pretty good at respect building excercises.
    I haven't, I'm not very familiar with his work. Do you perhaps know any?
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        04-19-2013, 03:29 PM
      #20
    Weanling
    I have made the decision to move my horse to a new trainer starting June 1st
    Posted via Mobile Device
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    leading troubles please help horsecrazygirl Horse Training 22 05-28-2012 01:37 AM
    The Troubles Of Eventing. ChingazMyBoy Eventing 8 12-29-2009 03:19 PM
    Troubles with Hindend NittanyEquestrian Horse Health 7 09-27-2009 02:39 AM
    Too Much Troubles! wordstoasong Horse Training 8 03-17-2009 10:03 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:52 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0