turning and stopping questions
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

turning and stopping questions

This is a discussion on turning and stopping questions within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • How to stop horse from backing up when he doesn't want to turn

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-21-2012, 11:57 AM
  #1
Weanling
Question turning and stopping questions

Hello everyone!
So this is my turning question:
My mare always has been not so good turner. I want to fix this. She walks and when you direct her to turn with the reins, she turns her head and her body goes straight still So tell me if i'm correct, what I need to do is use my outside leg and give pressure so she will turn in?

2nd question on stopping
She is also a bad stopper! Please let me know if i'm using the right technique to fix this. I lean back, say whoa, then pull a bit at her mouth. When I realized she still doesn't stop I was thinking to do a one rein stop. Is that right? I have also trained her to back up after a stop, it's just getting her to do the stop. I wish she had a stop like my gelding, who stops on a dime! Any advice would be great. Thanks everyone
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-21-2012, 12:11 PM
  #2
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichliebepferde    
Hello everyone!
So this is my turning question:
My mare always has been not so good turner. I want to fix this. She walks and when you direct her to turn with the reins, she turns her head and her body goes straight still So tell me if i'm correct, what I need to do is use my outside leg and give pressure so she will turn in?

2nd question on stopping
She is also a bad stopper! Please let me know if i'm using the right technique to fix this. I lean back, say whoa, then pull a bit at her mouth. When I realized she still doesn't stop I was thinking to do a one rein stop. Is that right? I have also trained her to back up after a stop, it's just getting her to do the stop. I wish she had a stop like my gelding, who stops on a dime! Any advice would be great. Thanks everyone
I like to ride towards something in the beginning, I ask for the stop by not participating, becoming sort of like dead weight, I firm up my thighs, not my knees, I say whoa then I ask with my reins. When I was out in the open and they didn't stop then I took one rein and sorta pulled their nose to my boot, once they stoped moving I released that pressure and praised them. If they tried to move off I flexed them the other way again until they stood still. I keep the standing still part very short in the beginning and build up to longer periods. Just my opinion lol I could be doing this all wrong but it works with mine.
     
    03-21-2012, 12:21 PM
  #3
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandra1313    
I like to ride towards something in the beginning, I ask for the stop by not participating, becoming sort of like dead weight, I firm up my thighs, not my knees, I say whoa then I ask with my reins. When I was out in the open and they didn't stop then I took one rein and sorta pulled their nose to my boot, once they stoped moving I released that pressure and praised them. If they tried to move off I flexed them the other way again until they stood still. I keep the standing still part very short in the beginning and build up to longer periods. Just my opinion lol I could be doing this all wrong but it works with mine.
Thanks! That's kind of what I was thinking. Please keep the ideas coming :]
     
    03-21-2012, 12:31 PM
  #4
Weanling
Maybe try riding her with your seat and legs more, it kind of sounds like you are only riding the front end of the horse and thinking too much about the bridle. It really should be the other way around, seat legs and then the reins.

For turning, you body should slightly turn in the direction you are going, it is only a slight shift in weight, remember to sit up look up and around the turn, shoulder slightly in the direction you are turning as well. For stopping, you shouldn't have to lean back at all. Try sinking your weight straight down, kind of like sand dripping down in an hourglass.

Sorry if my description isn't very helpful, I'm not a riding instructor, I'm not too good at explaining things like that, I just know what I need to do but can't explain it! Maybe someone else here will have a better explanation.
ichliebepferde likes this.
     
    03-21-2012, 12:56 PM
  #5
Weanling
Just did some more thinking. Maybe make sure you don't overuse the inside rein, if she is turning her head a lot to the inside, use the outside rein a little more, kind of just resist a little and have it against the neck a bit. Also, bending her around your inside leg, sink the weight a little more on that side and think about your outside leg too, maybe just a little behind the girth.

For stopping sinking your weight straight down and sitting up, try to resist her forward movement with your body and think of just resisting it with the reins rather than pulling. Kind of like a firm elastic contact with her mouth.
     
    03-21-2012, 01:00 PM
  #6
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsesAreMyPassion    
Just did some more thinking. Maybe make sure you don't overuse the inside rein, if she is turning her head a lot to the inside, use the outside rein a little more, kind of just resist a little and have it against the neck a bit. Also, bending her around your inside leg, sink the weight a little more on that side and think about your outside leg too, maybe just a little behind the girth.

For stopping sinking your weight straight down and sitting up, try to resist her forward movement with your body and think of just resisting it with the reins rather than pulling. Kind of like a firm elastic contact with her mouth.
Thanks Passion for the thoughts
     
    03-21-2012, 03:07 PM
  #7
Weanling
Ok this is what I use on my cattle horses. When you stop. Go straight into backing up. This helps put a nice hard stop on my horses. They are expecting to stop and go backwards.
For the turning. When you backing up pull the inside rein and apply spur on the outside leg. And after a while you horse should start doing great roll backs that should help with just regular turns too.
     
    03-21-2012, 03:22 PM
  #8
Foal
It sounds like your mare is stiff though her body. That's why it feels like she has a hard mouth. Horses don't have hard mouths they have stiff bodies and their mouth is just a conduit.

Teaching her the one rein stop is an excellent idea. I suggest you take a step back and fix it on the ground. She is probably pushy on the ground too? I would suggest getting your hands on Clinton Anderson's teaching materials. He really breaks teaching your horse down into easy to follow steps. And helps you do it safely!

PM if you want to learn more. I can show you a video my my horse doing a one rein stop too if a visual would help.

Please be safe.
     
    03-21-2012, 06:30 PM
  #9
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahK    
It sounds like your mare is stiff though her body. That's why it feels like she has a hard mouth. Horses don't have hard mouths they have stiff bodies and their mouth is just a conduit.

Teaching her the one rein stop is an excellent idea. I suggest you take a step back and fix it on the ground. She is probably pushy on the ground too? I would suggest getting your hands on Clinton Anderson's teaching materials. He really breaks teaching your horse down into easy to follow steps. And helps you do it safely!

PM if you want to learn more. I can show you a video my my horse doing a one rein stop too if a visual would help.

Please be safe.
SarahK you are RIGHT! She is stiff through her body! She turns her head but not her ribcage, I need to teach her to bend in the ribcage. How would I go about helping her do this? I love Clinton Anderson, I teach my horses using his methods, but I do not own his DVD set. I just watch him on RFDTV Thanks so much.
     
    03-21-2012, 09:17 PM
  #10
Foal
What does your horse know on the ground so far? Does she know how to yield her hindquarters and forequarters? How is she at backing? Does she flex well on the ground?

I'm no Clinton. I know he has the exercises in a certain order for good reason though. If you skip steps its much harder for your horse to understand what you want.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stopping howrsegirl123 English Riding 6 02-27-2012 07:15 AM
Not Stopping SissyGoBob Horse Training 5 06-01-2011 10:49 AM
Stopping eccodecco Horse Training 7 04-02-2011 08:36 AM
Turning, Stopping, and Riding a stubborn barn sour horse zapchick4 Horse Training 15 02-09-2008 10:34 AM
Just Stopping By aBreeze Meet the Community 2 04-17-2007 03:16 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0