Update on food/stall aggression - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Update on food/stall aggression

This is a discussion on Update on food/stall aggression within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        05-24-2010, 10:59 AM
      #11
    Banned
    He's fine over the door. Every once in awhile when I'm in the stall behind his or walking by, I'll get a greeting, but he does at least come to the stall door with ears up to see whats going on. Then if we don't have food he usually leaves, lol.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        05-24-2010, 12:08 PM
      #12
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justsambam08    
    Then if we don't have food he usually leaves, lol.
    I am the same way. Every time I hear the doorbell the first thought in my head is "Did someone order me a pizza?"
         
        05-24-2010, 12:48 PM
      #13
    mls
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justsambam08    
    I think his problem is just claustrophobia and not necessarily being stall aggressive. Someone mentioned it in my last thread, and it does make sense. At any rate though, I need to get him to work through it! I just don't know if, how, or when to push him, because as he's so displayed, he holds it all in till its REALLY not okay anymore.
    I do believe I mentioned that the first time.

    Some fears will not go away. We have to accept them and as the more 'intelligent' being, deal with them.
         
        05-24-2010, 01:05 PM
      #14
    Banned
    I can completely accept that he's claustrophobic, as long as he gives me alternatives to work with. He doesnt like being tied, but he stands perfectly well for ground tying, so I just won't tie him. Right now though there really is no good way to get his halter on to bring him out of his stall, without luring him with hay. I think I might start trying to clicker train him so that he puts his head out over the door, and I can do it that way, and then work on the next step which is just stepping into his stall without him freezing up. I just started a new (but possibly short lived) job, so I'll buy a bag of treats and see how it goes.
         
        05-24-2010, 01:19 PM
      #15
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justsambam08    
    He's fine over the door. Every once in awhile when I'm in the stall behind his or walking by, I'll get a greeting, but he does at least come to the stall door with ears up to see whats going on. Then if we don't have food he usually leaves, lol.
    Some horses are just not social to start with and never will. I own Kiara for 4 years, out of 3.5 my dad deals with her regularly (including feeding and treats), and she still just tolerates him. She also doesn't socialize with any other people besides me and somewhat my mom.
         
        05-24-2010, 01:20 PM
      #16
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mls    
    Some fears will not go away. We have to accept them and as the more 'intelligent' being, deal with them.
    Hmmmm.... What about the statements from NH trainers that ANY fear can be overcame??
         
        05-24-2010, 01:25 PM
      #17
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kitten_Val    
    Some horses are just not social to start with and never will. I own Kiara for 4 years, out of 3.5 my dad deals with her regularly (including feeding and treats), and she still just tolerates him. She also doesn't socialize with any other people besides me and somewhat my mom.
    He has his good days and his bad days....I think when he's not in work, he's social with horses, and when he's working he's social with people. He always has to be nasty to someone it seems. But in he is not very social, although I've been noticing lately that he answers horses calls from across the farm more frequently, and sometimes he calls out to other horses.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Stall aggression justsambam08 Horse Training 38 05-13-2010 07:44 PM
    Ricky is rearing+food aggression :S Gidji Horse Training 8 03-15-2010 08:16 PM
    food aggression yorkshirelass Horse Talk 5 03-02-2010 11:28 AM
    kicking and food aggression lilkitty90 Horse Training 18 02-02-2010 10:09 AM
    Feeding Aggression bsdhorse Horse Training 10 06-30-2009 05:46 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:49 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0