I really don't know as much as many on here but I have a horse, the one in my avatar, who is a little like yours. April is 13 yo Paint who needs work at least 3 times a week or she is difficult and naughty. And she hates stalls, must have pasture. She is hot blooded, heavily muscled and athletic.
I make sure of the following:
1. Only I ride her, or someone very capable, and I only have one other friend, Chuck, who can ride her. He LOVES riding her! But he can ride her naughties out too.
2. She is out on pasture as much as possible where she can run and act crazy like she likes.
3. She gets hay and grass, and her supplements. NO ALFALFA, OR SUGARY FEEDS!
4. When we ride, we trot for a couple of miles nonstop at least 2X per week. She needs that to be relaxed and happy. She craves a good long trot before she can do anything requiring thought or calmness.
5. She doesn't respond to spanking or angry voices. she needs calm attitudes and extra work as her consequence for bad behavior. She gets worked up by circling, so we do serpentines and figure 8's.
6. She has a cold back so she must warm up first before I saddle or mount. I know some people think its a pain, but we always warm up (walking, lunging, stretching) before we tack up.
I love this horse and she cares for me. I know that sounds weird but she takes care of me and has never hurt me, even after I was hurt in a motorcycle accident and was on a walker for 4 months. But she expresses her opinion and she could hurt others.
This is what I figured out for her. Plus, anytime you can ride 3 days in a row really helps!
Wishing you the best!
Posted via Mobile Device