What Bit? - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

What Bit?

This is a discussion on What Bit? within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        07-26-2009, 08:44 PM
      #21
    Showing
    I like starting in a halter if at all possible, then moving to a french link/3-piece bit of some sort. Depending on the horse, either full cheek, dee or loose ring :)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        07-26-2009, 08:47 PM
      #22
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zab    
    Language confuses me a little. Is a leverae bit a shank bit with no curb/chin chain or strap?
    Any bit that has a mechanical advantage is called a curb bit. The reins in all curbs are attached below the mouthpiece giving it a mechanical leverage advantage.
    Any bit that has the reins coming out the mouthpiece, absolutely no mechanical advantage is called a snaffle.

    I do not beleive that the bit makes a horse hard mouthed or soft but rather the way the rider handles the horse determines if the horse will be soft mouthed or not.
    I absolutely hate the rubber mouthed bit, the plastic as well.
    I use to start all horses in a side pull, a simple leather across the nose, but had a bad accident with a horse and since then I only use a snaffle BUT with a running martingale at first. Again I had a accident with the snaffle so I ran a curb for a little while until I had control of the horse then dropped back to the snaffle.
    Again a hard or soft mouthed horse is the result of a riders hands and not the bit.
    Alot of the very mild bits actually make for a hard mouthed horse because the horse doesn't respect them and you end up holding the reins to hard.
    I don't beleive in contact all the time but rather the reins are for backup after the other aids fail. Ride with your legs, your butt and use the weight of the reins to signal the horse and only use an actually pull when all else fails
         
        07-26-2009, 11:45 PM
      #23
    Started
    I usually start them in a sidepull, and then when I move on to a bit I use a full cheek french link snaffle.
         
        07-26-2009, 11:52 PM
      #24
    Trained
    Just what I figured, people who start horses in shank bits are just not educated enough to be starting horses. You would think that more people would try to find a reputable coach before starting a horse on their own.

    I will have to try those google searches out!

    BTW Allie you are nutty, riding hot head TB's ina halter! KJ ;) Because Denny is such a Hot head eh?!
         
        07-27-2009, 01:14 AM
      #25
    Trained
    I usually start a colt in a rope halter; although he will usually be getting used to a plain ring snaffle at the same time.
         
        07-27-2009, 05:50 AM
      #26
    Zab
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RiosDad    
    Any bit that has a mechanical advantage is called a curb bit. The reins in all curbs are attached below the mouthpiece giving it a mechanical leverage advantage.
    Any bit that has the reins coming out the mouthpiece, absolutely no mechanical advantage is called a snaffle.

    I do not beleive that the bit makes a horse hard mouthed or soft but rather the way the rider handles the horse determines if the horse will be soft mouthed or not.
    I absolutely hate the rubber mouthed bit, the plastic as well.
    I use to start all horses in a side pull, a simple leather across the nose, but had a bad accident with a horse and since then I only use a snaffle BUT with a running martingale at first. Again I had a accident with the snaffle so I ran a curb for a little while until I had control of the horse then dropped back to the snaffle.
    Again a hard or soft mouthed horse is the result of a riders hands and not the bit.
    Alot of the very mild bits actually make for a hard mouthed horse because the horse doesn't respect them and you end up holding the reins to hard.
    I don't beleive in contact all the time but rather the reins are for backup after the other aids fail. Ride with your legs, your butt and use the weight of the reins to signal the horse and only use an actually pull when all else fails
    So a leverage bit is any shabk bit, with or without the curb strap?
         
        07-27-2009, 07:28 AM
      #27
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zab    
    So a leverage bit is any shabk bit, with or without the curb strap?
    The definition of a curb bit is any bit that has a mechanical advantage. No mention of the curb strap. Any bit without a mechanical advantage is called a snaffle.
         
        07-27-2009, 07:46 AM
      #28
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zab    
    How far has it come in it's education?
    What does it do? What's the problem? How much can it do nicely already?

    Sorry im new at this and didnt know what you needed to know.

    He is on a snaffle right now.He is fully trained I guess im just haveing a hard time with stopping.He rains pretty good but the stopping is hard.Sometimes he does well most of the time its hard.He is young about 5 and a bit hard headed at times.I was just wondering if there was anything that would give me better control with him.Everynow and then I have a hard time getting him to turn the way I want but not to often and its mainly because he is too interested in whats going on in the other direction..I hope I explained all that well enogh
         
        07-27-2009, 07:58 AM
      #29
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Diegosmom    
    He is on a snaffle right now.He is fully trained I guess im just haveing a hard time with stopping.

    He can't be fully trained if you are having a problem. Try a curb bit and chain. What do you have to loose. It honestly adds alot of stop. If you have a running martingale try that with the snaffle, again the running martingale adds alot to the control with the snaffle. It must be adjusted properly, not too long but it adds control.
    A horse that runs through a bit is scary to ride, leaving the rider with the feeling of no control.
    I always say it is better to ride with a bigger bit then necessary and use it gentlely then to have a mild bit and use it harshly.

    Lets say you have a nice curb with a curb chain, something the horse will listen too, you ride with a nice relaxed rein, no contact and when you do want to stop you gentle take up the slack, don't bang him and he will keep his head down and relax since you are not hurting him.. With a mild snaffle you tend to pull harder, he lifts his head to escape and you end up with a high headed horse.
    Bigger bit, use gentlely VS mild bit used roughly????

    Rubber bits make hard mouthed horses. Riding in halters is just a ego trip for the rider who has little control. Don't jump on my I did it for over 20 years too.
         
        07-27-2009, 02:00 PM
      #30
    Foal
    I don't like the rubber mouths because they don't make the horse salivate (which helps protect his mouth and keep it soft). Plus, I gotta be honest...I HAVE tasted it myself...rubber doesn't not have a very nice after taste. Blech! }:}~

    Diegosmom - Check and see if the bit is tight enough in his mouth, too. Did you train your horse or did someone else? I was always taught to ask a horse to stop more with my seat and less with my reins, so that's what my horses learn, too. See if he responds better if you suddenly sit deep in the saddle. You can also try to pull-and-release, like how you'd use the brake in your car - push it and hold it for a second, let it go, push it, let it go, etc.

    You also mentioned that he "reins pretty well" but you have trouble turning. Are you riding western or english? If you're trying to neckrein in a snaffle, you DO have to use more effort to turn because you're literally pushing the horse's neck over with the rein and not the bit. It wouldn't be that he's hard-headed about it, it's that he's not receiving enough signal to tell him what to do. This is actually WHY we have leverage bits! Too much work for one-handed riding. LOL Snaffles PULL the horse's head into a turn from the inside - the side you pull on. Leverage bits PUSH the horse's head into a turn from the OUTSIDE (which is why you can't use 2 hands and "plow rein" a leverage bit)
         

    Thread Tools



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:49 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0