what can i do? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

what can i do?

This is a discussion on what can i do? within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree7Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-07-2013, 07:59 PM
      #11
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midnight dream    
    thankyou :) sounds helpful, (thats how I rug him as once rug is on him he is completly fine would you also suggest I rug him then take is of and keep doing this untill he starts standing with no fuss at all? Or just do it the once as I take his rug off every single day to check him over and he is the same everyday and seems to be worse everyday. Also thanks for your advice
    I would just put it on, but be kind of messy about it. Wriggle it, rub it, flap it, etc. and just act like nothing is happening. Once you get it on, give him a nice rub on his neck *or wherever he likes it* and then leave him be.

    I'd only focus on it when you put his blanket on. If you just do it over and over, he could easily tune you out.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-07-2013, 08:23 PM
      #12
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
    I would just put it on, but be kind of messy about it. Wriggle it, rub it, flap it, etc. and just act like nothing is happening. Once you get it on, give him a nice rub on his neck *or wherever he likes it* and then leave him be.

    I'd only focus on it when you put his blanket on. If you just do it over and over, he could easily tune you out.
    he completly freaks out with any fast movement of the rug and that's when its not even within 5 meters of him and can't get near him until he calms down and rug has gone :S
         
        04-07-2013, 08:29 PM
      #13
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midnight dream    
    he completly freaks out with any fast movement of the rug and that's when its not even within 5 meters of him and can't get near him until he calms down and rug has gone :S
    Just work on it a little at a time. My horse used to be the same way. Know how to read your horse. Before he blows up, give him some sort of release. Once he figures out nothing bad is going to happen, he'll learn to accept it and be quiet. It's a process :)
    midnight dream likes this.
         
        04-07-2013, 08:42 PM
      #14
    Foal
    Yeah :) its just frustrating that it seems to be getting worse with it atm even though im being very patient with him :( well he is only a baby atm so I know it will take time but thanks for the advice and ill give it a go :) you have been very helpful :)
         
        04-07-2013, 08:55 PM
      #15
    Showing
    Best of luck :) And you're welcome.
    midnight dream likes this.
         
        04-08-2013, 08:56 AM
      #16
    Super Moderator
    Ever thought that he is to hot?

    Most cobs grow a coat to rival a polar bear. (I assume you are in the UK because you use 'rug') The weather has been dry and it is driving rain and cold wind that makes them cold rather than cold weather.

    Secondly when he freaks stop fussing him and backing away with the rug.
    Have a long rope, thread the rope through the tie ring and hold the end. Get something light like a lump of sheet and throw that over him. If he freaks do not try to pacify him but get cross with him and issue an order like "STAND" and make sure he does so and continue throwing the sheet over him.
    If you pacify and fuss him then he is going to be rewarded for bad behaviour and as you say 'get worse'. He has to know that this is unwanted behaviour and earns him a telling off.

    Look into the fact that he might be overheating after all, he already has one thick coat on and does not need another.

    I have TBs that are fit from fox hunting and they are all being roughed off and only wearing lightweight rugs they were clipped and now mostly in summer coats and they are not cold.
         
        04-08-2013, 10:01 AM
      #17
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foxhunter    
    Ever thought that he is to hot?

    Most cobs grow a coat to rival a polar bear. (I assume you are in the UK because you use 'rug') The weather has been dry and it is driving rain and cold wind that makes them cold rather than cold weather.

    Secondly when he freaks stop fussing him and backing away with the rug.
    Have a long rope, thread the rope through the tie ring and hold the end. Get something light like a lump of sheet and throw that over him. If he freaks do not try to pacify him but get cross with him and issue an order like "STAND" and make sure he does so and continue throwing the sheet over him.
    If you pacify and fuss him then he is going to be rewarded for bad behaviour and as you say 'get worse'. He has to know that this is unwanted behaviour and earns him a telling off.

    Look into the fact that he might be overheating after all, he already has one thick coat on and does not need another.

    I have TBs that are fit from fox hunting and they are all being roughed off and only wearing lightweight rugs they were clipped and now mostly in summer coats and they are not cold.
    hi yeah I understand that and I have recently moved him somewhere where it is a lot colder and quite strong winds and snow and because he has worn rugs before I have had him im trying to wean him off of them slowly as he was in a heavey weight and his coat didnt really grow through as a winter coat so thought I would keep rugging him making sure that he is not over heating and actually found he was quite cold :S but hopefully next winter he wont be we aring any rug, and no way im going to be able to just chuck a sheet over him :S thankyou for the feed back anyway :)
    Shropshirerosie likes this.
         
        04-09-2013, 06:34 AM
      #18
    Green Broke
    You may also be babying him, and allowing him to get by with things that are now causing this.

    Too much soothing, too much trying to be buddies, or letting him get by with something that you don't see as problem, can cause major problems.

    Is he pushy, walks off on you, snatches lead out of hand to graze when leading, pushes into you with shoulder/head, is pushy when feeding?

    All of those things can lead to this type of thing, in that he is learning he can do what he wants to.

    Alternately, it could be rug is too tight, too hot, or has something that is aggravating him. Turn it over so you can see underside, and make sure no hay/straw is stuck in it.

    And if you are soothing him by telling him "itssss alllll rigghhhhttt", quit it. That makes a horse worse about everything.

    Treat him like you would a mugger and make him behave.
    midnight dream likes this.
         
        04-09-2013, 07:37 AM
      #19
    Weanling
    If he has allergies maybe he's sensitive to the rug now? Or he caught his rug on somthing is now unsure of it?
         
        04-09-2013, 08:43 PM
      #20
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Palomine    
    You may also be babying him, and allowing him to get by with things that are now causing this.

    Too much soothing, too much trying to be buddies, or letting him get by with something that you don't see as problem, can cause major problems.

    Is he pushy, walks off on you, snatches lead out of hand to graze when leading, pushes into you with shoulder/head, is pushy when feeding?

    All of those things can lead to this type of thing, in that he is learning he can do what he wants to.

    Alternately, it could be rug is too tight, too hot, or has something that is aggravating him. Turn it over so you can see underside, and make sure no hay/straw is stuck in it.

    And if you are soothing him by telling him "itssss alllll rigghhhhttt", quit it. That makes a horse worse about everything.

    Treat him like you would a mugger and make him behave.
    your completely right!! Although I don't want to admit it you are.
    Taken on everyones comments and spent time with him today I have been babying him!!

    Here are a few points iv looked at and I am taking action on, anything I miss or you can give additional advice please comment as would be great!

    * I took to being stern with him today and noticed the above naughtiness he didnt understand that pushing, barging me grazing when he is supposed to be listening to me was being naughty! So I made him listen instead made him stand and gave him a little fuss if he did this without fidgeting (did take time but im a very patient person) told him to walk on when told stop and stand again gave him a little fuss if done without pulling, barging or fuss also back him up with the commant back which I use quite often anyway so he was quick at learning this as when I feed him this is so he doesnt barge me when food is presented.
    * I also noticed today that as soon as he does see his food he starts ignoring anything im trying to tell him and is completely focused on his food, with this I made him see his food but wait until he was allowed to have it ( yes this is cruel but hopeing it will show him that when food is presented doesnt mean he is going to get it straight away) this made him very aggitated and stomp his feet and made alot of fuss. I have recently cut his food intake down anyway but im gradually going to cut down until he is on complete forage.
    With the haylage I have decided I am going to try the soaking this will have to be done over night or soaked for a couple of hours at a time. (this will be challenging). This will be done until he is completely off sugary and heated foods :) and try and change his food to fibre-beet when he has done work.
    * I am going to concentrate with ground work instead of ridden as I want him to learn manners and learn to respect me first.
    * I have taken his rug off but im still going to concentrate on getting him to accept a rug without freaking out (fingers crossed)

    What are peoples opinions?
    Skyseternalangel likes this.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:15 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0