What should I do with my gelding?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

What should I do with my gelding?

This is a discussion on What should I do with my gelding? within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Horse freaks out when i take other horse away
  • Gelding gets upset when i remove mare

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-08-2009, 01:43 AM
  #1
Started
Unhappy What should I do with my gelding?

If you don't feel like reading, skip to the bolded part at the end. I didn't really need to write this whole thing, but oh well. It's done.


Here's the situation:

I have a gelding and a mare. They LOVE each other.

They used to be really herd-bound at my last barn. They had been in adjacent stalls, and were turned out together every day. We switched them so that they were one stall apart, and turned them out separately every other day (and turned them out together every other day). A couple weeks of this and they were no longer herd-bound at all.

So... I switched to another barn and they were perfect the whole time I was there. Then I switched to another barn and they went back to being herd-bound. When I take the mare away, the gelding freaks, but the mare behaves perfectly. When I take the gelding away, he gets a little upset, but behaves. The mare is fine.

Well, when I say he freaks when I take her away... I really mean it. He tries to kick down his stall. I have to put him on the walker when I take her away so he doesn't do any more damage.

I'm going to do what I did before to separate them for three reasons:

1. I'm going to take my mare away for three days for a trail ride.
2. My gelding is now prone to ulcers and colicking from the ulcers.
3. I'm putting my mare in training, and it will be easier on the trainer if he doesn't have to put the gelding on the walker every time he works my mare.

We're going to put a horse in the stall between the mare and the gelding. We're going to put the mare in a pasture with other horses. We're going to put the gelding in the pasture that he used to share with my mare. They had this pasture to themselves, so that means he'll be there alone from approximately 6pm to 8am. I can't turn him out with other mares because he breeds them. I can't turn him out with geldings or stallions because he attacks them. I really don't want him to be alone all night long. Does anyone have a solution?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-08-2009, 01:49 AM
  #2
Foal
"I can't turn him out with other mares because he breeds them."

I guess I am a little confused on how a gelding would breed a mare????
     
    10-08-2009, 01:50 AM
  #3
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelliannejoseph    
"I can't turn him out with other mares because he breeds them."

I guess I am a little confused on how a gelding would breed a mare????

The exact same way a stallion does - minus the semen.
     
    10-08-2009, 02:33 AM
  #4
Started
Maybe a friendly goat or mini? He doesn't have one gelding buddy you could turn out with him?

:\

I don't have many suggestions, but goats and donkeys are pretty indestructible.
     
    10-08-2009, 06:59 AM
  #5
Showing
Are you sure he is a gelding and not a cryptorchid?
     
    10-08-2009, 07:10 AM
  #6
Foal
His behaviour does seem to be more that of a rig (Horse with 1 or two retained testicles) than a gelding...

I'm sorry, I don't have any suggestions... Perhaps try the "de-herding" you did before that worked and see if it works again.

Does he just freak out when they are apart but he can see her (she is still on the property) or when she leaves the properti all together? Or both?

I think he MAY freak out a bit when you take her away but as soon as he can't see or hear her anymore, he may settle.
     
    10-08-2009, 09:10 AM
  #7
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudsMystique    
The exact same way a stallion does - minus the semen.

If he does not have semen, then he can't breed a mare. If he was gelded he should not have any ablity to breed a horse. And he should not fight with other horses and be mounting mares. Although I have seen some geldings mount mare. But it sounds like when he was gelded, the vet or whoever did it, did not get it all. Which is very common.
     
    10-08-2009, 09:21 AM
  #8
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet    
His behaviour does seem to be more that of a rig (Horse with 1 or two retained testicles) than a gelding...

I'm sorry, I don't have any suggestions... Perhaps try the "de-herding" you did before that worked and see if it works again.

Does he just freak out when they are apart but he can see her (she is still on the property) or when she leaves the properti all together? Or both?

I think he MAY freak out a bit when you take her away but as soon as he can't see or hear her anymore, he may settle.
He starts calling to her as soon as I take her away, but he only starts kicking when I leave the property. I'm going to think about getting a donkey.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kelliannejoseph    
If he does not have semen, then he can't breed a mare. If he was gelded he should not have any ablity to breed a horse. And he should not fight with other horses and be mounting mares. Although I have seen some geldings mount mare. But it sounds like when he was gelded, the vet or whoever did it, did not get it all. Which is very common.
Okay... I'm just using the word "breed" to mean "mate with." I realize that he can't get her pregnant without any semen.

I have thought about having him tested for cryptorchidism, but the surgery is expensive and I don't see the point of it. Cryptorchidism is rare, contrary to popular belief, and since I've never seen him produce any semen, I don't have enough suspicion to justify spending the money on the blood tests. I'm guessing he was just gelded late and possibly even bred before he was gelded.
     
    10-08-2009, 11:58 AM
  #9
Started
There's a chance that he's just one of those proud geldings - still thinks he has it. It happens often. I think a playful donkey, goat, or mini might be a good idea.
     
    10-08-2009, 12:09 PM
  #10
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahKathleen    
There's a chance that he's just one of those proud geldings - still thinks he has it. It happens often. I think a playful donkey, goat, or mini might be a good idea.

Thanks, I'll think about it : ]
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Gelding creeky-bil Horse Pictures 14 11-02-2009 06:20 PM
Dun Gelding I'm going to look at horseluver50 Horse Riding Critique 34 07-01-2009 01:28 PM
8yo TB Gelding sayabear3 Horses for Sale 7 01-06-2009 01:25 PM
Gelding im looking at... NicoleS11 Horse Riding Critique 2 12-29-2008 06:01 PM
my new gelding StatedOtherwise Horse Pictures 4 02-11-2008 02:24 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0