Where to start!??
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Where to start!??

This is a discussion on Where to start!?? within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        09-20-2009, 03:06 AM
      #1
    Yearling
    Where to start!??

    I am getting a horse!!!
    Well.. if he passes the vet check :P

    ANYWAYS, all he has ever done is be a dude horse. And for the past few months, a ridden mount for hunting trips.

    He walks, trots. Needs work on the canter, as he hasn't been asked to do it pretty much his whole life.


    I am hoping to train him to be an all-round horse. He has amazing conformation, gorgeous color. 16.1hh. He is bombproof, gentle, and quiet.
    His breed is unknown. He is 9 yrs old.

    I want to teach him western pleasure, some barrels, and a bit of english (jumping).

    I'm wondering, where should I start?

    Of course, I need to get that canter down pat. But, after that.. where should I begin?

    Any advice is appreciated! Thanks :)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        09-20-2009, 11:20 AM
      #2
    Showing
    I don't have any advice except to get to know him well, and Yippie on getting the horse!! Do you have any photos yet?
         
        09-20-2009, 03:13 PM
      #3
    Yearling
    Quote:
    I don't have any advice except to get to know him well, and Yippie on getting the horse!! Do you have any photos yet?
    Well, I don't actually have him yet :P We are getting bringing a vet with us to check him out next weekend.
    If he passes the vet check, we are getting him!!

    And, I will have pictures up the day I get him! Lol
         
        09-20-2009, 08:20 PM
      #4
    Zab
    Yearling
    I got worried at the ''not cantering'' thing, but if he's calm and quiet then no problem :) Good luck at the vet check :)
    Do you have any company for him?

    As for cantering..there's as many ways as there's people :P
    One is to put a small obstacle (a feet high perhaps) and jump at a trot. Most horses land in a canter/gallop after that, so then it's just to eward and whn he got that it's a good thing to canter after the jump, add a cue (voice and legs perhaps) and more rewarding pats and words. :)

    Another way is to teach it on the lunge line, add a voice cue for canter and reward when you get it. Then do the same when you ride and someone else lunges etc. I personally dislike lunging, but I think it can be ok in that case.

    I taught my dads draft to canter by taking him on a walk, ask for trot and the kiss and poke him gently with a crop at the point where the front of his hindleg/thigh meets the belly, if that's clear enough? Just as he was about to lift that leg. I had a long line to be able to let him canter away a bit (I hadn't had to, but still) and of course praised him and rewarded with a walk.

    On Crow, as I've said before, we taught hiim by swing ourself into a canter, as if he was already cantering, and he followed :)
         
        09-20-2009, 09:16 PM
      #5
    Yearling
    Quote:
    I got worried at the ''not cantering'' thing, but if he's calm and quiet then no problem :) Good luck at the vet check :)
    Do you have any company for him?

    As for cantering..there's as many ways as there's people :P
    One is to put a small obstacle (a feet high perhaps) and jump at a trot. Most horses land in a canter/gallop after that, so then it's just to eward and whn he got that it's a good thing to canter after the jump, add a cue (voice and legs perhaps) and more rewarding pats and words. :)

    Another way is to teach it on the lunge line, add a voice cue for canter and reward when you get it. Then do the same when you ride and someone else lunges etc. I personally dislike lunging, but I think it can be ok in that case.

    I taught my dads draft to canter by taking him on a walk, ask for trot and the kiss and poke him gently with a crop at the point where the front of his hindleg/thigh meets the belly, if that's clear enough? Just as he was about to lift that leg. I had a long line to be able to let him canter away a bit (I hadn't had to, but still) and of course praised him and rewarded with a walk.

    On Crow, as I've said before, we taught hiim by swing ourself into a canter, as if he was already cantering, and he followed :)
    Yeah, I was a bit worried too. But, he is completely bombproof, and soo soo friendly :) thanks!
    No, I don't have another horse. He needs to be alone for awhile anyways, as he needs someone to give him attention just for him. He hasn't been loved his whole life, and he wants to be loved.
    So, he would be happier, if he knows I am coming just for him.

    Those are very good ideas!! I will try those, I never thought of that :P
    Thanks again for your input!
         
        09-20-2009, 09:32 PM
      #6
    Zab
    Yearling
    I do hope that you will get company for him soon tho.. for unless you're there 24/7 he will be a very lonely horse and the ''just coming for him'' won't really make up for not having any friends at all most of the day.. :3

    Good luck, and if none of that works out there are more things to try :)
         
        09-20-2009, 10:11 PM
      #7
    Yearling
    Quote:
    I do hope that you will get company for him soon tho.. for unless you're there 24/7 he will be a very lonely horse and the ''just coming for him'' won't really make up for not having any friends at all most of the day.. :3
    I have asked advice from other people, the majority says it depends on the horse. Some horses don't need company, some do.
    I will see how he does. If I do get a buddy, it will prob be a mini or something :)

    Thanks again!
         
        09-20-2009, 10:18 PM
      #8
    Zab
    Yearling
    Do they know that he won't even have other horses to look at? (Or have I gotten you wrong on that point?)
    A mini should do fine, and they can be great fun to have too! :P You can teach them tricks, drive and what's more amazing than a mini doing a piaffe on long reins? ;)

    Good luck, in any case :) Hopefully it will be a good horse for you, safe but something to work with.
         
        09-21-2009, 01:09 AM
      #9
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Do they know that he won't even have other horses to look at? (Or have I gotten you wrong on that point?)
    A mini should do fine, and they can be great fun to have too! :P You can teach them tricks, drive and what's more amazing than a mini doing a piaffe on long reins? ;)

    Good luck, in any case :) Hopefully it will be a good horse for you, safe but something to work with.
    I'm not sure :P Yeah, the closest horse is about a block away :P haha.
    They will be able to hear each other, but that might make it worse.
    Yeah, a mini would be fun! Hehe

    Thank you! I sure hope so too :) I am soo excited for this weekend! WOOT!
    We are going to bring my aunts horse trailer with us, so if he passes the vet check, we can bring him home that day! X)
         
        09-21-2009, 02:26 AM
      #10
    Trained
    What happened to the Palomino mare?
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Where to start? LeighXLove Horse Training 3 11-16-2008 05:48 PM
    Where do I start? Kiara Horse Health 6 08-27-2008 09:59 PM
    where do I start?? Snapple122 General Off Topic Discussion 2 08-24-2008 01:23 AM
    I don't kow where to start!?!?!?! Juno21 Horse Training 9 06-18-2008 01:37 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:20 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0