Will my horse still trust me? - The Horse Forum
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 164 Old 05-03-2011, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 63
• Horses: 1
Will my horse still trust me?

So I'm training my horse to let me ride her, plus trying to bathe her so I can get her clean, and maybe the flies will leave her alone. Yes, I am going to put fly repel stuff for horses on her legs, where they bite mostly, and put on her fly mask tomorrow.

But today I had an effect with the bath. Apparently, this horse "loved" water when she was little, but now she completely HATE'S it and is completely terrified of water. I'm taking another trainers advice and starting with a small drizzle from her legs and up, but she just goes crazy. Today she broke out of the corral I had her in, because the water spooked her so much.

I'm thinking this was a VERY BAD idea of teaching her, because I do not want to lose her trust in me, because of being possibly thrown off her when I ride her tomorrow, which is my plan, for letting me set on her and her being calm. So I have to post on here. Do you think my horse will let me on her back, spite of that incident that I tried to make up to her with a carrot and a good grooming today?

Gosh I hope she will still trust me! I only have three months to do three things.
xXWildFlowerXx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 164 Old 05-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5,995
• Horses: 0
Trust does not come from being her friend and coddling her -- it comes from being 'in charge' and getting her to respect you and do whatever you want. Any time you back off from doing something because a horse throws a fit, the horse is training you instead of you training the horse.

I would not ride her until I had her a lot more respectful and obedient on the ground.

Horses get to the point where they think they are terrified of something by throwing a fit and having people 'back off' when they do. If a person does that a few times, the horse is thoroughly convinced to throw a ring-tailed fit if you let them even think you are going to push the matter. They can turn it into a complete phobia.

This needs to be turned around before you are going to get very much of anything done to teach her anything. She will not trust your leadership skills until you have the skill to get her to do things like stand for a bath.
Cherie is offline  
post #3 of 164 Old 05-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 5,455
• Horses: 1
Do your horse a favor and hire a trainer. If you can't bathe a horse you SHOULD NOT be trying to train one.

There's nothing like the Rockies in the springtime... Nothing like the freedom in the air... And there ain't nothing better than draggin calves to the fire and there's nothing like the smell of burning hair. -Brenn Hill
kevinshorses is offline  
post #4 of 164 Old 05-03-2011, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 63
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses View Post
Do your horse a favor and hire a trainer. If you can't bathe a horse you SHOULD NOT be trying to train one.
That was rude.. I can bathe her, today she just threw a fit about it because she hasn't been bathed since last summer due to the cold weather.
xXWildFlowerXx is offline  
post #5 of 164 Old 05-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 11,772
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses View Post
Do your horse a favor and hire a trainer. If you can't bathe a horse you SHOULD NOT be trying to train one.
Agreed. This is a recipe for disaster.

Was she tied, or were you spraying her while she was loose? Your post makes me think you might have had her loose? You don't need your horse to be your bestest friend - you need your horse to respect you and your space. Your horse won't hate you forever for bathing her - she's simply afraid of the hose/water, and you need to train her that it's not a bad thing - and that comes through respect. I'm afraid you'll teach her very quickly that if she reacts poorly to something she doesn't like, she gets coddled and patted.... that's kind of like spoiling a child when they do something wrong. If your kid didn't want a bath and threw a fit, would you offer him a candy bar and say "it's ok, you can stink to high heaven forever!" No. You would tell him to get his sorry butt in the shower.


The lovely images above provided by CVLC Photography cvlphotography.com
JustDressageIt is offline  
post #6 of 164 Old 05-03-2011, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 63
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Trust does not come from being her friend and coddling her -- it comes from being 'in charge' and getting her to respect you and do whatever you want. Any time you back off from doing something because a horse throws a fit, the horse is training you instead of you training the horse.

I would not ride her until I had her a lot more respectful and obedient on the ground.

Horses get to the point where they think they are terrified of something by throwing a fit and having people 'back off' when they do. If a person does that a few times, the horse is thoroughly convinced to throw a ring-tailed fit if you let them even think you are going to push the matter. They can turn it into a complete phobia.

This needs to be turned around before you are going to get very much of anything done to teach her anything. She will not trust your leadership skills until you have the skill to get her to do things like stand for a bath.
I never did give up... She got out, then I had to give up because it was getting dark anyway. I am already the alpha horse, as she listens and respects me, and come's to me whenever I enter her pasture. She's obedient and respective towards me always on the ground, however. I'm sure I'll get the bath problem smoothed out in a breeze.
xXWildFlowerXx is offline  
post #7 of 164 Old 05-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 11,772
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXWildFlowerXx View Post
That was rude.. I can bathe her, today she just threw a fit about it because she hasn't been bathed since last summer due to the cold weather.
Horses don't forget things like that. They DO know when they can walk all over someone though. They know when they can get away with murder and they definitely learn that if they act up around the right people, they get out of work.
Get tough. Don't let this horse decide, you say "you're going to stand nicely for a bath" and you make it happen... preferably with professional help that can teach you how to handle your horse.


The lovely images above provided by CVLC Photography cvlphotography.com
JustDressageIt is offline  
post #8 of 164 Old 05-03-2011, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 63
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDressageIt View Post
Agreed. This is a recipe for disaster.

Was she tied, or were you spraying her while she was loose? Your post makes me think you might have had her loose? You don't need your horse to be your bestest friend - you need your horse to respect you and your space. Your horse won't hate you forever for bathing her - she's simply afraid of the hose/water, and you need to train her that it's not a bad thing - and that comes through respect. I'm afraid you'll teach her very quickly that if she reacts poorly to something she doesn't like, she gets coddled and patted.... that's kind of like spoiling a child when they do something wrong. If your kid didn't want a bath and threw a fit, would you offer him a candy bar and say "it's ok, you can stink to high heaven forever!" No. You would tell him to get his sorry butt in the shower.
No, I had her tied. The tie broke, because my cousin who was helping, didn't tie it right. I'll remember not to cuddle and pat her again if she gets mad about a bath. This time I'll try to be in the corral instead of outside, as I was doing a stupid thing standing outside.
xXWildFlowerXx is offline  
post #9 of 164 Old 05-03-2011, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 63
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDressageIt View Post
Horses don't forget things like that. They DO know when they can walk all over someone though. They know when they can get away with murder and they definitely learn that if they act up around the right people, they get out of work.
Get tough. Don't let this horse decide, you say "you're going to stand nicely for a bath" and you make it happen... preferably with professional help that can teach you how to handle your horse.
I can handle her, thats not the thing. Tomorrow I'll try something different by being inside with her, and not outside. Maybe thats more comforting than being outside.
xXWildFlowerXx is offline  
post #10 of 164 Old 05-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: WA
Posts: 1,400
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXWildFlowerXx View Post
I can handle her, thats not the thing. Tomorrow I'll try something different by being inside with her, and not outside. Maybe thats more comforting than being outside.
That's your problem right there. Forget "comforting", you need your horse to respect you as a leader and should be willing to stand still wherever you want/need her to.
Dressage10135 is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ran my Horse into the Mud. Unconditional Trust? Check. Brighteyes Trail Riding 18 05-04-2011 07:52 AM
Gaining trust with an abused horse lblagden Horse Training 10 04-14-2011 06:53 AM
A Horse With Trust Issues...What To Do? Kate90 Horse Training 10 02-25-2011 09:58 PM
Do you trust your horse?? smrobs Horse Riding 18 04-27-2009 04:02 PM
New Horse, any tips on gaining its trust? Melony Horse Training 24 08-08-2008 06:20 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome