Will my horse still trust me? - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 164 Old 05-04-2011, 12:17 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 69
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXWildFlowerXx View Post
She tends to pull at the lead so hard and try to get away I can't hold her half the time.
if you cant hold her then you really should not be trying to riding her. you need to do some serious ground work and training if you cant even hold her on a lead. what makes you think shes going to be read to have a saddle and a person put on her back? what is the hurry that you cant stop and do a few weeks of ground training? if you dont have a safe horse on the ground your sure not going to have a safe horse while your on her back
Nokeen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 164 Old 05-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,175
• Horses: 3
*waits for a funeral notice*
Kayty is offline  
post #23 of 164 Old 05-04-2011, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 63
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokeen View Post
if you cant hold her then you really should not be trying to riding her. you need to do some serious ground work and training if you cant even hold her on a lead. what makes you think shes going to be read to have a saddle and a person put on her back? what is the hurry that you cant stop and do a few weeks of ground training? if you dont have a safe horse on the ground your sure not going to have a safe horse while your on her back
I can lead her and hold her, I just can't be dragged around by a horse that ways a whole more than me. It seems I get criticized by everything I say I can do and can't do on here. She's never pulled me before, and all I need is a little more time to actually try to give her the right bath.
I can't set here and therefore be told I'm doing everything wrong, when I've read tons of books from people who have trained lots of horses. I've trained her with everything she needs to know on the ground, and I can ride her, as well, I just haven't gotten a saddle and saddle-trained her yet. All I need to work on is bathing her, and I will be going smooth from there.

Not to be rude, but I'm not a horse, I'm a kid, and I need someone to explain to me nicely what to do, and not criticize and tell me I'm doing it terribly and am a bad trainer, which just influence's me to give up, and hurts my feelings.

I had to get that out. Sorry.
xXWildFlowerXx is offline  
post #24 of 164 Old 05-04-2011, 12:27 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 2,655
• Horses: 10
Okay, I will explain to you nicely what to do...

Get a qualified trainer.

Flirt-Hugo-Phoenix-Romance-Fanta-Nippa-Shiloh
Trojan 09.11.02 - 26.10.10 // Kody 01.09.89-25.06.12 // Rex 05.11.95-21.12.12
HowClever is offline  
post #25 of 164 Old 05-04-2011, 12:31 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 69
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXWildFlowerXx View Post
I can lead her and hold her, I just can't be dragged around by a horse that ways a whole more than me. It seems I get criticized by everything I say I can do and can't do on here. She's never pulled me before, and all I need is a little more time to actually try to give her the right bath.
I can't set here and therefore be told I'm doing everything wrong, when I've read tons of books from people who have trained lots of horses. I've trained her with everything she needs to know on the ground, and I can ride her, as well, I just haven't gotten a saddle and saddle-trained her yet. All I need to work on is bathing her, and I will be going smooth from there.

Not to be rude, but I'm not a horse, I'm a kid, and I need someone to explain to me nicely what to do, and not criticize and tell me I'm doing it terribly and am a bad trainer, which just influence's me to give up, and hurts my feelings.

I had to get that out. Sorry.
horses aren't about feeling nice and being friends, they are large animals that can very easily kill you. i said you need to hold her while you bath her to give her security, that is my advice, your response is i cant hold her she pulls away. what in that sentence would make me think you are capable of leading her? if you can not hold her you need to have someone help you, something i also said, so that it is a safe environment for not only the thousand pound animal but for you.

edit: and the reason you are getting told that you need someone else to do this is because not only are you making a dangerous situation for not only your self and the horse but you are also putting anyone down the line who might handle this horse in danger as well. its not a personal attack on you its a statement that for the safety of every one involved that you need to get help if you didnt you wouldnt be here asking for help. and thats what everyone is telling you, you need to find someone, a trainer or an adult that knows how to properly handle animals, to come and help you with this before it gets even worst

Last edited by Nokeen; 05-04-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Nokeen is offline  
post #26 of 164 Old 05-04-2011, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 63
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowClever View Post
Okay, I will explain to you nicely what to do...

Get a qualified trainer.
My family doesn't have the money to afford a trainer. We have money to afford the horse is needs, such as vets, feed, farrier, ect. , but no money to put towards a trainer. I think I'd rather work with her myself anyway.
xXWildFlowerXx is offline  
post #27 of 164 Old 05-04-2011, 12:34 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,175
• Horses: 3
You're being criticised because you continue to back pedal every time someone says something to contradict you.
Telling us that you can't lead her because she drags you around... then when you're told this is NOT respectful behaviour, you say it's only happened once.
Telling us you can't bathe her because she's now terrified of water... then when you are told that this is not good ground manners, you say it's only happened once.

So what is it? Is your mare perfect in every way possible on the ground, never moves into your space, will move away from any pressure you put on her, will stand quietly and not move a muscle while tied, will happily stand to be bathed and will lead like a puppy dog on a long rope and stop the second you stop, turn the second you turn and walk the second you walk, always next to your shoulder and not barging in on your or dragging you anywhere.

OR

Does she have not so great ground manners that need work? Because from what you've said, and I'm going from original posts by you not the ones that you have tried to back pedal in, that you are far from experienced and this horse has pulled the wool over your eyes. You need an experienced trainer before your mare decides its had enough of this kid that is starting to really irritate her, and turns around to have a go at you.
Don't get yourself injured or killed. Horses are big, strong animals that are not to be messed with.
Kayty is offline  
post #28 of 164 Old 05-04-2011, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 63
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokeen View Post
horses aren't about feeling nice and being friends, they are large animals that can very easily kill you. i said you need to hold her while you bath her to give her security, that is my advice, your response is i cant hold her she pulls away. what in that sentence would make me think you are capable of leading her? if you can not hold her you need to have someone help you, something i also said, so that it is a safe environment for not only the thousand pound animal but for you.
She's 800 pounds.. And I can lead her, I swear. If you want pictures, I'll gladly give you picture's of me leading her plus riding her. I will give you proof.
xXWildFlowerXx is offline  
post #29 of 164 Old 05-04-2011, 12:38 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 2,655
• Horses: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXWildFlowerXx View Post
My family doesn't have the money to afford a trainer. We have money to afford the horse is needs, such as vets, feed, farrier, ect. , but no money to put towards a trainer. I think I'd rather work with her myself anyway.
And with that, I am out. Adios.

Flirt-Hugo-Phoenix-Romance-Fanta-Nippa-Shiloh
Trojan 09.11.02 - 26.10.10 // Kody 01.09.89-25.06.12 // Rex 05.11.95-21.12.12
HowClever is offline  
post #30 of 164 Old 05-04-2011, 12:39 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 69
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXWildFlowerXx View Post
My family doesn't have the money to afford a trainer. We have money to afford the horse is needs, such as vets, feed, farrier, ect. , but no money to put towards a trainer. I think I'd rather work with her myself anyway.
if you cant pay for one then no you dont have the money to properly care for your horse because this is a very big thing that every horse needs if someone isnt around that can do it. and even if you are a good trainer that does not mean you are going to be able to deal with every horse and every situation. you can look into finding someone who will let you work for their services, there are plenty out there
Nokeen is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ran my Horse into the Mud. Unconditional Trust? Check. Brighteyes Trail Riding 18 05-04-2011 08:52 AM
Gaining trust with an abused horse lblagden Horse Training 10 04-14-2011 07:53 AM
A Horse With Trust Issues...What To Do? Kate90 Horse Training 10 02-25-2011 10:58 PM
Do you trust your horse?? smrobs Horse Riding 18 04-27-2009 05:02 PM
New Horse, any tips on gaining its trust? Melony Horse Training 24 08-08-2008 07:20 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome