Will your horse respond to your bit? - Page 12
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Will your horse respond to your bit?

This is a discussion on Will your horse respond to your bit? within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

Like Tree179Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    09-19-2010, 04:20 AM
  #111
Trained
Maybe, instead of giving every beginning rider a snaffle and saying "good luck, you won't hurt them with this" we should just teach people to stay out of horses mouths to begin with? I mean, yes, we need to have contact with the reins, but we should rarely ever have to actually pull on the reins, know what I mean? We should treat the reins like threads that will break if we pull on them too hard.

If you do that, you can ride in a curb or just about anything!

I personally prefer a curb to a snaffle. But then I have always ridden older, already trained horses on trails. I find curbs give me finesse. I have even been known to ride in those evil Argentine snaffle/ tom thumb/ kimberwick types! I find most horses do great in them! Shocking but true.

Just ride like your reins are made of thread, and you will have a soft horse and can ride in any bit. That will solve most bit-related problems I venture to guess.


     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    09-19-2010, 08:20 AM
  #112
Green Broke
So true :) bits themselves are not evil...it's the way they are used if not used correctly...and a rider with heavy hands can misuse a bitless bridle just the same as someone else mentioned above already.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    09-19-2010, 08:53 AM
  #113
Green Broke
You know, I have been passing this by because I didn't think it pertained to me. Boy was I wrong. I agree with all of it! Someone here recently asked about changing a bit for neck reining. I asked why do you need to rely on a bit for that.? It is all in the training from the begining. Give and take with softness. Pressure, release. And if you really don't know what your doing, get help. Everybody will make mistakes in their training, I have, but I also learned from watching trainers and finding a lot of info on the internet and books. I'm not perfect, but I do want the best care and training for my horses with the least possible problems later.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    09-19-2010, 10:45 AM
  #114
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger    
What about spurs?
Spurs are an extension of your leg. Which if you read what I typed you would see I said leg. Like the bit if used properly they refine the cue given.
     
    09-19-2010, 10:46 AM
  #115
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetsAB    
Where I come from, spurs are an EXTRA aid, but are not used for extra refinement.
Where I come from they are used even more then a bit for refinement.
     
    09-19-2010, 04:54 PM
  #116
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs    
A bond has absolutely nothing to do with it, it's about refinement. You can't get that in a halter.
I disagree completely. Refinement can be achieved in a halter or less.
     
    09-19-2010, 04:56 PM
  #117
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhorserider    
Maybe, instead of giving every beginning rider a snaffle and saying "good luck, you won't hurt them with this" we should just teach people to stay out of horses mouths to begin with? I mean, yes, we need to have contact with the reins, but we should rarely ever have to actually pull on the reins, know what I mean? We should treat the reins like threads that will break if we pull on them too hard.


I agree with that. Sadly, a lot of people give someone a really strong bit and rather than "Good luck" say "Okay, just pull to stop." It can get ugly.
     
    09-19-2010, 06:33 PM
  #118
Green Broke
I'm not too fond of bitless for the same reason i'm not too fond of Parelli. It's the whole, "If you don't ______________(fill with Use Parelli methods, Ride bitless, etc) you are a horse abuser." I just read a bitless ad that said, "Bits cause pain, anxiety, and obstruct horses' breathing." Really? Just like yanking on a horse's sinus cavities will cause pain, anxiety, and obstruction of breathing. I just hate the my-way-or-the-highway mentality. If I had a horse who didn't work well with a bit, i'd consider bitless. But, personally, I have never worked with a horse who hated bits; just hated the hands that held the reins on the other end.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    09-19-2010, 10:43 PM
  #119
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny    
I'm not too fond of bitless for the same reason i'm not too fond of Parelli. It's the whole, "If you don't ______________(fill with Use Parelli methods, Ride bitless, etc) you are a horse abuser." I just read a bitless ad that said, "Bits cause pain, anxiety, and obstruct horses' breathing." Really? Just like yanking on a horse's sinus cavities will cause pain, anxiety, and obstruction of breathing. I just hate the my-way-or-the-highway mentality. If I had a horse who didn't work well with a bit, i'd consider bitless. But, personally, I have never worked with a horse who hated bits; just hated the hands that held the reins on the other end.
Posted via Mobile Device
I find it to be more of "If you can do it that way, why can't you do it with less" rather than you're a horse abuser.
     
    09-20-2010, 12:03 AM
  #120
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitlessForHappiness    
I find it to be more of "If you can do it that way, why can't you do it with less" rather than you're a horse abuser.
Less is relative. You think that less is less of a bit or no bit. I say less is less movement of my hand. Less contact on my horses b/c they can feel the movement of the bit with very little movement which refines the cue and makes it easier for them to understand what I want.
     



Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
horse will not respond to pressure horseshoes Horse Training 11 08-17-2010 10:29 AM
How to respond to a bolting horse xxBarry Godden Horse Articles 22 09-29-2009 04:32 PM
Horse Doesn't Respond to Downward Transitions on Longeline - Need Help! harryhoudini Horse Training 3 06-23-2009 05:59 PM
getting horse to respond to aids dreamrideredc Horse Training 6 06-09-2009 12:17 AM
How do I get my horse to respond to my leg? xilikeggs0 Horse Training 8 01-30-2009 08:03 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0