Will your horse respond to your bit? - Page 31
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Will your horse respond to your bit?

This is a discussion on Will your horse respond to your bit? within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree160Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        12-21-2010, 08:54 PM
      #301
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MN Tigerstripes    
    So what if your horse throws her head, braces, pins her ears, just acts pissed off in general when you ride her bitless? Would you decide that she did not like the bitless? Or would you keep working in the bitless?

    My mouth isn't nearly as bit as my horse's nor is it shaped correctly, but when I was child my siblings and cousins would often put "bits" in our mouths and ride each other. It wasn't uncomfortable in the slightest, unless the "rider" was yanking on it.

    Obviously that doesn't work because it wasn't in a horse mouth. I believe bits are uncomfortable and don't agree with them. That won't change the mature thing is to agree to disagree.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        12-21-2010, 09:03 PM
      #302
    Trained
    Can you answer my first question please? I am genuinely curious as to what you would do if your horse showed the same discomfort signs being ridden bitless as you see when you ride her in a bit.

    I have yet to have this question answered by a person that is diehard bitless. I do have several friends that ride primarily bitless. When I asked them the same question they said "Well, I'd find the option that works for the horse whether bitless or a bit. They'll tell you when they're comfortable."

    I don't have a problem agreeing to disagree, but I do get tired of being told that I'm a terrible horse owner who doesn't understand or love her horses. Or that my horses must actually hate me because I put a bit in their mouth. I'm sure you can understand my frustration.

    ETA - I said "bits" because we didn't use horse bits. They'd never fit . We generally used some sort of rope through our mouths or something of that nature.
         
        12-21-2010, 09:10 PM
      #303
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thumpthumpmyhorseshooves    
    What type is your horse? Wind, Fire, ground? Do you have any idea what I am talking about? If you don't or if you do, but don't agree with it I feel sorry for you and your horse because you are missing out on something great..
    What the...

    No seriously, what is this?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thumpthumpmyhorseshooves    
    My dream ride is bitless and bareback which is what I do most of the time.
    I think bareback is more uncomfortable for horses than saddles on their backs. People usually ride bareback for one of three reasons. A: Because they are too lazy to be bothered with tack, B: To improve their balance and overall riding skill, and C: To "free" their horse, which is just silly. Think about it. Your butt bones grinding into their back with every step rather than a soft fleece pad. Saddles also help distribute your weight properly.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nrhareiner    
    Even my stallions can and do go anyplace I wish to take them. They haul with mares they are in the same barn with mares. They are pastured next to mares with no problem. Again call a well trained animal.
    I'm not sure if I would call that PURELY training. I'm sure your stallions are out-of-the-ordinary-sane at least partially because they aren't put on lockdown like a lot of stallions are, isolated and treated like they are sadistic rapists just waiting for the chance to have at it. They are allowed to interact with mares in a positive way, but on your terms. The best, most sane stallions I've seen are treated exactly like yours.
         
        12-21-2010, 09:14 PM
      #304
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RomanticLyric    
    What the...

    No seriously, what is this?



    I think bareback is more uncomfortable for horses than saddles on their backs. People usually ride bareback for one of three reasons. A: Because they are too lazy to be bothered with tack, B: To improve their balance and overall riding skill, and C: To "free" their horse, which is just silly. Think about it. Your butt bones grinding into their back with every step rather than a soft fleece pad. Saddles also help distribute your weight properly.



    I'm not sure if I would call that PURELY training. I'm sure your stallions are out-of-the-ordinary-sane at least partially because they aren't put on lockdown like a lot of stallions are, isolated and treated like they are sadistic rapists just waiting for the chance to have at it. They are allowed to interact with mares in a positive way, but on your terms. The best, most sane stallions I've seen are treated exactly like yours.
    Google the fire wind ground and you'll get it it takes a long time to explain. I have had a horse chiropractor out to make sure my horses back is okay to be bareback and it is. If I am riding for more than two hours I use a saddle. Less than 2 bareback.
         
        12-21-2010, 09:15 PM
      #305
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RomanticLyric    
    What the...

    No seriously, what is this?



    I think bareback is more uncomfortable for horses than saddles on their backs. People usually ride bareback for one of three reasons. A: Because they are too lazy to be bothered with tack, B: To improve their balance and overall riding skill, and C: To "free" their horse, which is just silly. Think about it. Your butt bones grinding into their back with every step rather than a soft fleece pad. Saddles also help distribute your weight properly.



    I'm not sure if I would call that PURELY training. I'm sure your stallions are out-of-the-ordinary-sane at least partially because they aren't put on lockdown like a lot of stallions are, isolated and treated like they are sadistic rapists just waiting for the chance to have at it. They are allowed to interact with mares in a positive way, but on your terms. The best, most sane stallions I've seen are treated exactly like yours.

    The wind fire ground is taught at the barn I ride at.
         
        12-21-2010, 09:18 PM
      #306
    Weanling
    I'm sure it's "okay" to be ridden bareback, most horses' backs are. I wasn't arguing that it wasn't. I'm just pointing out that riding bareback is not what I would call an "ideal ride" for the horse, which seems to be what your number one concern is.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thumpthumpmyhorseshooves    
    The wind fire ground is taught at the barn I ride at.
    I see. I googled it and couldn't find a thing. Maybe you could locate some literature on this for me?
         
        12-21-2010, 09:18 PM
      #307
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MN Tigerstripes    
    Can you answer my first question please? I am genuinely curious as to what you would do if your horse showed the same discomfort signs being ridden bitless as you see when you ride her in a bit.

    I have yet to have this question answered by a person that is diehard bitless. I do have several friends that ride primarily bitless. When I asked them the same question they said "Well, I'd find the option that works for the horse whether bitless or a bit. They'll tell you when they're comfortable."

    I don't have a problem agreeing to disagree, but I do get tired of being told that I'm a terrible horse owner who doesn't understand or love her horses. Or that my horses must actually hate me because I put a bit in their mouth. I'm sure you can understand my frustration.

    ETA - I said "bits" because we didn't use horse bits. They'd never fit . We generally used some sort of rope through our mouths or something of that nature.
    If my horse started showing signs of irritation with a bitless bridle I would get the vet or chiropractor out to make sure she is okay. I have ridden at 3 different barns though and have never heard of a horse that can't be ridden bitless. I have never once said that if somebody uses a bit they don't love or care for their horse. I never said that and I was very careful not too so if somebody thinks that they have put that thought in their own mind.
         
        12-21-2010, 09:22 PM
      #308
    Green Broke
    Are we going thru this again?????????
         
        12-21-2010, 09:27 PM
      #309
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RomanticLyric    
    I'm sure it's "okay" to be ridden bareback, most horses' backs are. I wasn't arguing that it wasn't. I'm just pointing out that riding bareback is not what I would call an "ideal ride" for the horse, which seems to be what your number one concern is.



    I see. I googled it and couldn't find a thing. Maybe you could locate some literature on this for me?

    I understand what you mean about bareback, but to me for shorter rides I think that a horse would appreciate no tack rather than tack. When I go on long rides I use a barefoot treeless saddle.

    It is taught here a bit : Spare

    You can read about it a bit
         
        12-21-2010, 09:30 PM
      #310
    Green Broke
    And when the vet says the horse is okay, what do you do then?
    Posted via Mobile Device
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    horse will not respond to pressure horseshoes Horse Training 11 08-17-2010 10:29 AM
    How to respond to a bolting horse xxBarry Godden Horse Articles 22 09-29-2009 04:32 PM
    Horse Doesn't Respond to Downward Transitions on Longeline - Need Help! harryhoudini Horse Training 3 06-23-2009 05:59 PM
    getting horse to respond to aids dreamrideredc Horse Training 6 06-09-2009 12:17 AM
    How do I get my horse to respond to my leg? xilikeggs0 Horse Training 8 01-30-2009 08:03 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:44 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0