Will your horse respond to your bit? - Page 32 - The Horse Forum
 182Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #311 of 647 Old 12-21-2010, 09:32 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 35
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
And when the vet says the horse is okay, what do you do then?
Posted via Mobile Device
This is theoretical so its not my horse so considering these facts I would have to know the horse
thumpthump is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #312 of 647 Old 12-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Watertown, MN
Posts: 5,540
• Horses: 3
So in your opinion there are no horses out there that are more comfortable with a bit. Even horses that dislike face pressure?

I saw your point earlier about bridles putting pressure on their face and that isn't the same sort of pressure as a bitless bridle. Bridles generally have passive pressure on a horse's face (at least mine doesn't do anything other than keep the bit in place). A bitless bridle is active pressure and uses pressure points to "force" the horse listen. *Disclaimer - I don't think bitless is inherently cruel, anymore than most bits* Some horses have very sensitive faces and do not appreciate pressure being applied to the pressure points on their face.

Now I *could* train my horse to accept the bitless bridle. I'm sure I could. But is it worth it? Not for me. I see no reason to harass my horse for a month or two in order to force him to accept something he has shown he doesn't like. As long as I can ride my horses happily (both of us) and safely (both of us) I could care less what I ride them in. If they want bitless, so be it. If they don't like bitless, so be it.

I'll probably try Lily in a bitless option at some point too just to see if she does like it, in the meantime she's happy and accepting of her loose ring snaffle. More than likely I'll throw a bosal (properly fitted) on Soda and see if he likes it. If he doesn't he'll go right back to his double jointed snaffle that he is completely happy in.

ETA - According to both of my vets there is no "physical" reason Soda shouldn't like a bitless bridle. Of course they didn't see any reason for him to hate the single jointed snaffle either and he disliked that too. I put the double jointed in and it was a night and day difference.

Last edited by MN Tigerstripes; 12-21-2010 at 09:40 PM.
MN Tigerstripes is offline  
post #313 of 647 Old 12-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 35
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Tigerstripes View Post
So in your opinion there are no horses out there that are more comfortable with a bit. Even horses that dislike face pressure?

I saw your point earlier about bridles putting pressure on their face and that isn't the same sort of pressure as a bitless bridle. Bridles generally have passive pressure on a horse's face (at least mine doesn't do anything other than keep the bit in place). A bitless bridle is active pressure and uses pressure points to "force" the horse listen. *Disclaimer - I don't think bitless is inherently cruel, anymore than most bits* Some horses have very sensitive faces and do not appreciate pressure being applied to the pressure points on their face.

Now I *could* train my horse to accept the bitless bridle. I'm sure I could. But is it worth it? Not for me. I see no reason to harass my horse for a month or two in order to force him to accept something he has shown he doesn't like. As long as I can ride my horses happily (both of us) and safely (both of us) I could care less what I ride them in. If they want bitless, so be it. If they don't like bitless, so be it.

I'll probably try Lily in a bitless option at some point too just to see if she does like it, in the meantime she's happy and accepting of her loose ring snaffle. More than likely I'll throw a bosal (properly fitted) on Soda and see if he likes it. If he doesn't he'll go right back to his double jointed snaffle that he is completely happy in.

ETA - According to both of my vets there is no "physical" reason Soda shouldn't like a bitless bridle. Of course they didn't see any reason for him to hate the single jointed snaffle either and he disliked that too. I put the double jointed in and it was a night and day difference.
Honestly, I have nothing else to say about this. I have said all I have to say. I will agree to disagree.
thumpthump is offline  
post #314 of 647 Old 12-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Olds, AB Canada
Posts: 2,749
• Horses: 2
But you just can't admit that some horses don't like bitless pressure just as some horses don't like bit pressure.

Horses are scared of two things... Things that move and things that don't.
Ray MacDonald is offline  
post #315 of 647 Old 12-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 35
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
But you just can't admit that some horses don't like bitless pressure just as some horses don't like bit pressure.

Have I said that throughout any of my posts? I'm not saying there is never a place for bits I am saying I disagree with them.
thumpthump is offline  
post #316 of 647 Old 12-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Olds, AB Canada
Posts: 2,749
• Horses: 2
No I didn't see it.. I think you are very close minded and I think bareback hurts the horse. Your butt is grinding right against their spine how would that not hurt???

Horses are scared of two things... Things that move and things that don't.
Ray MacDonald is offline  
post #317 of 647 Old 12-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 35
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpthumpmyhorseshooves View Post
I understand what you mean about bareback, but to me for shorter rides I think that a horse would appreciate no tack rather than tack. When I go on long rides I use a barefoot treeless saddle.

It is taught here a bit : Spare

You can read about it a bit
[FONT='Palatino Linotype', serif][/FONT]

BTW I didn't write this and this is a public link.
thumpthump is offline  
post #318 of 647 Old 12-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 35
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
No I didn't see it.. I think you are very close minded and I think bareback hurts the horse. Your butt is grinding right against their spine how would that not hurt???

As I said before (and this won't change) I think the horse prefers bareback instead of tack on a short ride which is what I do, but if the ride is over 2 hours I ride with tack. My horse loves bareback. I try to put a saddle on she hates it but she moves so that I can get on her bareback.
thumpthump is offline  
post #319 of 647 Old 12-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Watertown, MN
Posts: 5,540
• Horses: 3
Ok, Thump, I'll agree to disagree with you about all horses being ok in a bitless bridle. You do have some good points, I just don't like that particular "hard" point in your mind.

I enjoy riding bareback also, though I don't do it all the time. When I'm not bareback I have a Bob Marshall Barrel saddle. I'd like to get an AP english saddle at some point and maybe a dressage. Darn horses eat to much though.
MN Tigerstripes is offline  
post #320 of 647 Old 12-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 35
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Tigerstripes View Post
Ok, Thump, I'll agree to disagree with you about all horses being ok in a bitless bridle. You do have some good points, I just don't like that particular "hard" point in your mind.

I enjoy riding bareback also, though I don't do it all the time. When I'm not bareback I have a Bob Marshall Barrel saddle. I'd like to get an AP english saddle at some point and maybe a dressage. Darn horses eat to much though.

I'm so so so sorry. I just saw your status. That is so harsh. I am so so sorry.
thumpthump is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
horse will not respond to pressure horseshoes Horse Training 11 08-17-2010 10:29 AM
How to respond to a bolting horse xxBarry Godden Horse Articles 22 09-29-2009 04:32 PM
Horse Doesn't Respond to Downward Transitions on Longeline - Need Help! harryhoudini Horse Training 3 06-23-2009 05:59 PM
getting horse to respond to aids dreamrideredc Horse Training 6 06-09-2009 12:17 AM
How do I get my horse to respond to my leg? xilikeggs0 Horse Training 8 01-30-2009 08:03 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome