Will your horse respond to your bit? - Page 36 - The Horse Forum

 182Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #351 of 647 Old 02-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copley, OH
Posts: 4,760
• Horses: 1
^^ exactly...goes the same way. My horse goes well in a bit...but put her in a bitless or anything else that specifically applies pressure to her face and you get one very unhappy horse!
Posted via Mobile Device
Hoofprints in the Sand is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #352 of 647 Old 02-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Watertown, MN
Posts: 5,540
• Horses: 3
Same as HPITS. I ride in a headstall that doesn't have a noseband, tell me how much pressure that's applying to my horse's face? It's not even in the same area as the pressure a bitless bridle puts on a horse's face.

Seriously you disagree with the statement "it's what you put in their head not on it"? I don't see how you can and call yourself any sort of horseperson. Unless you think she's talking about bits (in head) and bitless (on head)?
MN Tigerstripes is offline  
post #353 of 647 Old 02-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 5,344
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveeemyhorseee View Post
I majorly disagree with "Results come from what you put in their head, not what you put on it." that.
Then this speaks to your level of under standing about horse training and how horses work. If it was not what you put in their head but on their head then you could get a horse to do anything the very first time you got on them.


Take a look at some of the best trained horses in the world. Take a look what they are ridden in. A BIT. They where trained in a bit even the horses that Stacy Westfall shows in Freestyle reining bitless are trained in a bit.

-I'm so busy... I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
-An Armed Man is a Citizen an unarmed man is a subject.
-Where ever free speech is stifled Tyranny will reign.
nrhareiner is offline  
post #354 of 647 Old 02-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 14
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Why ride bitless if you can correctly ride with a bit?
Posted via Mobile Device

Can you tell me for sure that bits do not cause any pain or discomfort at all? No. Okay so why wouldn't you be safe and go with bitless?
Loveeemyhorseee is offline  
post #355 of 647 Old 02-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Olds, AB Canada
Posts: 2,749
• Horses: 2
How do you know bitless doesn't cause pain and discomfort?

Horses are scared of two things... Things that move and things that don't.
Ray MacDonald is offline  
post #356 of 647 Old 02-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Alabama,USA
Posts: 3,909
• Horses: 1
A properly fitted bit should not cause pain or discomfort.

Just so you know, my horse had a fractured nasal bone and can't be ridden bitless. I was considering starting her bitless until I discovered that it would cause her extreme pain.

ETA: Can you tell me for sure that bitless doesn't cause pain and discomfort? Because it surely can. I've seen it. Just as I've seen horses with wrecked mouths, I've seen horses with wrecked faces.
Sunny is offline  
post #357 of 647 Old 02-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 14
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Tigerstripes View Post
Same as HPITS. I ride in a headstall that doesn't have a noseband, tell me how much pressure that's applying to my horse's face? It's not even in the same area as the pressure a bitless bridle puts on a horse's face.

Look up the pressure points on a horse's face.

Seriously you disagree with the statement "it's what you put in their head not on it"? I don't see how you can and call yourself any sort of horseperson. Unless you think she's talking about bits (in head) and bitless (on head)?

How can you honestly say this? Pressure points on a horses face are natural and normal. Using what a horse is naturally giving you to ask them for things is what is supposed to happen. I believe a great deal matters what you put in their head, but also on it. How can you say that a bit is the better choice? Bits are so far from natural. I will get hammered for this, but I disagree with spurs and "grass" reins too. If you can find out why your horses head is flying up then you don't need grass reins. Its all about the horse and figuring out why you are getting the results you are getting. Horses ask from us: Food, shelter, water well basically just care. We ask from them to ride them. Riding isn't natural, but because of the human/horse relationship we are ABLE to ride them.
Loveeemyhorseee is offline  
post #358 of 647 Old 02-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 14
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
How do you know bitless doesn't cause pain and discomfort?

1. Bridles with bits hit most of the same points there is just less pressure because of the bit. And 2. Hmm would you rather have a bit or no bit? If you were a horse? Try tugging on your mouth and tell me which you would choose.
Loveeemyhorseee is offline  
post #359 of 647 Old 02-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 14
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrhareiner View Post
Then this speaks to your level of under standing about horse training and how horses work. If it was not what you put in their head but on their head then you could get a horse to do anything the very first time you got on them.


Take a look at some of the best trained horses in the world. Take a look what they are ridden in. A BIT. They where trained in a bit even the horses that Stacy Westfall shows in Freestyle reining bitless are trained in a bit.
First off please do not take me to a lower standard and basically say I'm not horse smart because I have not demeaned anybody. I do not agree with that statement because it matters GREATLY what you put in their head, but also on their head. If you put something that causes pain on them you can get them to do WHATEVER you want like you said, but that isn't real horsemanship. Lets say you can get your horse to turn on a penny with a bit. Okay...but the horse isn't doing that out of respect for you or because you asked him too..he is doing it because that's what the tugging and pulling says. It doesn't mean he likes it.
Loveeemyhorseee is offline  
post #360 of 647 Old 02-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 5,344
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveeemyhorseee View Post
1. Bridles with bits hit most of the same points there is just less pressure because of the bit. And 2. Hmm would you rather have a bit or no bit? If you were a horse? Try tugging on your mouth and tell me which you would choose.
Well lest see. A bit when properly used takes about 1 inch of movement from your hand to cue a horse. Less then a 1/2 once of pressure.

A bit-less bride takes a lot more movement of your hand and a lot more pressure.

I have said this before yet the people who ride bit less seem not to want to give it a try.

Go and put on your bit less bride. Then attach your reins to that bit less bridle with a single piece of thread. You know the type that you use to put buttons on your coat. Then take your horse out and run him full out and ask for a stop. See if you can get that horse to stop before our brake the thread. If that is too much to ask see if you can get them to turn or do anything with out braking the piece of thread.

I know I can do this with my horses and a bit.

-I'm so busy... I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
-An Armed Man is a Citizen an unarmed man is a subject.
-Where ever free speech is stifled Tyranny will reign.
nrhareiner is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
horse will not respond to pressure horseshoes Horse Training 11 08-17-2010 09:29 AM
How to respond to a bolting horse xxBarry Godden Horse Articles 22 09-29-2009 03:32 PM
Horse Doesn't Respond to Downward Transitions on Longeline - Need Help! harryhoudini Horse Training 3 06-23-2009 04:59 PM
getting horse to respond to aids dreamrideredc Horse Training 6 06-08-2009 11:17 PM
How do I get my horse to respond to my leg? xilikeggs0 Horse Training 8 01-30-2009 07:03 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome