Working a foal?
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Working a foal?

This is a discussion on Working a foal? within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Foal training
  • What work to do with 4 month old colt

Like Tree7Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-15-2013, 08:16 PM
  #1
Foal
Working a foal?

He is a coming 4 month old(9-7-13 is when he'll be 4 months) Tennessee Walking Horse colt, he's out of Pusher & Generator lines. He's my first foal to bring up entirely on my own. I've worked with weanlings & on up from there, but never from a newborn up.
Here's some things about him:
He is halter broke. He comes to you, knows his name, & waits patiently while you put his halter on or take it off.
He is fine with brushing- harder bristled brushes or soft brushes.
He lets you look at his teeth, play with his ears, rub/touch him all over without a problem.
Leads with or without a lead rope, too or away from his mother or the other horses.
Picks up all four hooves, while being tied or just standing out in pasture.
Ties out really good also.

Is this good for a young colt or am I behind? Anything else I should be worried about teaching him? Also, I've been creep feeding him for the past month in hopes to make the weaning process a tad bit easier.

601424_10200842553289471_208223114_n.jpg
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-15-2013, 08:28 PM
  #2
Trained
That is fine for a 4 month old and is basically the same as what we do. He's a fine looking guy, too.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    08-15-2013, 08:32 PM
  #3
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares    
That is fine for a 4 month old and is basically the same as what we do. He's a fine looking guy, too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you so much! It means a lot since he is my first foal :)
     
    08-15-2013, 08:38 PM
  #4
Foal
Sounds like you're doing a great job!

The only things I would work on would be getting him used to the sound/feel of clippers, bathing, and stretching his legs as the farrier would do when he is being shod (he'll get there one day).

If you have a chance to work with him leading, walk him through all the scary stuff now... trailers included.

He is adorable BTW!
     
    08-15-2013, 11:13 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcosticov    
Sounds like you're doing a great job!

The only things I would work on would be getting him used to the sound/feel of clippers, bathing, and stretching his legs as the farrier would do when he is being shod (he'll get there one day).

If you have a chance to work with him leading, walk him through all the scary stuff now... trailers included.

He is adorable BTW!
I've been taking him around four wheelers, cars, mail boxes, stuff that moves & stuff that doesn't, just getting him used to random stuff. Haha.. so far he hasn't really been a spooky little guy, so I hope that continues on to when he's older!
& thank you!
     
    08-15-2013, 11:29 PM
  #6
Weanling
I have one huge red flag with your post, I didn't see a mention of him knowing how to move out of your space. Go ahead and teach him that know while he's young so he develops a nice respectful relationship with people. I'm not saying you do this, I don't know you at all, but too many people let weanlings get into their space because they're cute and small and then those people wonder why they end up with a big disrespectful tree year old that they're trying to start down the line.

IMO a weanling should know how to move both their hind end and, front end away and back up. This is setting them up for success for the rest of their lives.

I'd also desensitize a bit. Not over the top, but get his mind engaged. Teach him that the answer to scary things is to stand still and relax, that panicking does him no favors.

Another thing that would be great, if you have any horses you show, haul him too. It'll be great for him to get out and get used to things. Even if it's just to the vet, take him along too so he gets used to loading.
     
    08-16-2013, 12:14 PM
  #7
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakableRider    
I have one huge red flag with your post, I didn't see a mention of him knowing how to move out of your space. Go ahead and teach him that know while he's young so he develops a nice respectful relationship with people. I'm not saying you do this, I don't know you at all, but too many people let weanlings get into their space because they're cute and small and then those people wonder why they end up with a big disrespectful tree year old that they're trying to start down the line.

IMO a weanling should know how to move both their hind end and, front end away and back up. This is setting them up for success for the rest of their lives.

I'd also desensitize a bit. Not over the top, but get his mind engaged. Teach him that the answer to scary things is to stand still and relax, that panicking does him no favors.

Another thing that would be great, if you have any horses you show, haul him too. It'll be great for him to get out and get used to things. Even if it's just to the vet, take him along too so he gets used to loading.
He knows how to back & he'll scoot away from you if you put one finger on his hind end. If he gets in my business when I'm doing something I make him back up, & repeat the process if he tries again.
BreakableRider and Soulhorse8 like this.
     
    08-16-2013, 01:03 PM
  #8
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintgirl96    
Thank you so much! It means a lot since he is my first foal :)
Just about the same age as our Buckshot (4 month on 8/20)
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    08-16-2013, 01:25 PM
  #9
Yearling
I have a colt about the same age, he is my first also. Sounds like we are doing about the same thing. I am having a blast working with him.
Posted via Mobile Device
paintgirl96 likes this.
     
    08-16-2013, 01:41 PM
  #10
Weanling
One thing I forgot to work on with my first filly is taking her temperature. It turned out to be a rodeo the first time I really had to do it and fixing my mistake later was a big pain.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The official when will Ace foal thread **Foal arrived!!*- Update Post #1054 Golden Horse Horse Breeding 1155 09-13-2011 10:50 PM
Any tips on working with a mule foal? LuvMyPerlinoQH Horse Training 9 06-29-2011 06:34 PM
Working with my 1 Week old Foal travelinscout Horse Training 21 04-06-2011 03:00 PM
Working with a foal wanderlust Horse Training 28 12-12-2008 09:33 PM
Foal, foal, cute little foal!!!!!!!! PIC OVERLOAD! DutchHorse Horse Pictures 9 07-21-2008 10:19 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0