Yes, another thread about collection... But this one is different - I promise!
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Yes, another thread about collection... But this one is different - I promise!

This is a discussion on Yes, another thread about collection... But this one is different - I promise! within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-05-2010, 02:38 PM
      #1
    Started
    Yes, another thread about collection... But this one is different - I promise!

    Is it possible to be fully collected at the foxtrot?

    In case you don't know, the foxtrot has the same footfalls as the trot - except the front leg in the diagonal pair hits the ground slightly before the hind leg.

    Will the head start on the front end keep the hind end from working underneath the horse?

    If you successfully get the hind end underneath the horse, will it cause it to catch up with the front end, turning the gait into a regular trot? Or should they stay the same? I want to know about the mechanics here.





    Here's a video of my mare foxtrotting:











    And another question - To the untrained eye, does a foxtrotting horse look like a trotting horse that's realllllly heavy on the forehand? Especially in pictures, because it looks like they're taking a huge stride in front and a short stride in back? Is that true at all, or is it obvious that they're doing some kind of gait, even if you don't know what it is?



























    (the middle photo in the top row is VERY close to a regular trot)


    Sorry... I went overboard with the pictures, haha.

    Thanks for reading!
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-07-2010, 07:10 PM
      #2
    Started
    Nobody?
         
        08-07-2010, 10:13 PM
      #3
    Weanling
    Unfortunately I don't know, sorry! Hopefully somebody will.

    And, as always, Mystique is gorgeous (:
         
        08-07-2010, 11:24 PM
      #4
    Trained
    To be honest, I think in order to perform those gaits your horse has to have some drive from behind; it's extremely obvious in some of your still shots, where she has awesome elevation in her front end...no worries, friend, I think your mare's gaits are 'collected', atleast probably as much as they can get just for her to be able to do them well, and being a different gait than normal w/t/c I'm really not sure how you could 'refine' that collection more without ruining the integrity of the gait itself.
         
        08-09-2010, 10:07 AM
      #5
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azarni    
    Unfortunately I don't know, sorry! Hopefully somebody will.

    And, as always, Mystique is gorgeous (:
    Thank you : ]


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mom2pride    
    To be honest, I think in order to perform those gaits your horse has to have some drive from behind; it's extremely obvious in some of your still shots, where she has awesome elevation in her front end...no worries, friend, I think your mare's gaits are 'collected', atleast probably as much as they can get just for her to be able to do them well, and being a different gait than normal w/t/c I'm really not sure how you could 'refine' that collection more without ruining the integrity of the gait itself.
    Thank you so much for replying! I really appreciate it
         
        08-09-2010, 10:31 AM
      #6
    Foal
    I didn`t even know what foxtrot is. Thanks for the info . And I agree about your mare, she is awsome!.
         
        08-09-2010, 10:33 AM
      #7
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arasumi    
    I didn`t even know what foxtrot is. Thanks for the info . And I agree about your mare, she is awsome!.
    You're very welcome! And thanks for the compliment
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Custom Made by Horse Forum members- Collection Thread nrhareiner Horse Artwork 4 01-30-2010 06:48 PM
    On The Bit vs. Collection, and Where To Go From Here... Scoutrider Horse Training 21 09-04-2009 10:03 AM
    collection again SonnyWimps Horse Riding 14 04-02-2008 01:56 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:19 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0