Young horse - possible loan
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Young horse - possible loan

This is a discussion on Young horse - possible loan within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Young horses need breaking for loan
  • Loaning young horses

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-08-2011, 03:58 PM
  #1
Yearling
Young horse - possible loan

I am looking at loaning a 3 and a half year old Friesian gelding. He has looks to die for I am going to go and meet him on Monday and see how it goes.

He was backed in September of last year and could walk, trot and canter under saddle. I have just been told he stopped working a month ago due to him having a "splint". I was also told he will need to be lunged for a while before getting on him because of this.

1. What does the woman mean by splint?
2. When she says lunging before getting on him, does she mean lunging for a couple of weeks before starting riding, or does she mean lunge for a short while and then ride him straight after?

Also, a couple of other questions.

1. When things are back to normal with him, how would I start schooling a 3 year old? She says he rushes into his trot and is unbalanced in his canter.

Will ask more as I think of them

Thanks guys
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-08-2011, 04:02 PM
  #2
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snizard93    
I am looking at loaning a 3 and a half year old Friesian gelding. He has looks to die for I am going to go and meet him on Monday and see how it goes.

He was backed in September of last year and could walk, trot and canter under saddle. I have just been told he stopped working a month ago due to him having a "splint". I was also told he will need to be lunged for a while before getting on him because of this.

1. What does the woman mean by splint?
2. When she says lunging before getting on him, does she mean lunging for a couple of weeks before starting riding, or does she mean lunge for a short while and then ride him straight after?

Also, a couple of other questions.

1. When things are back to normal with him, how would I start schooling a 3 year old? She says he rushes into his trot and is unbalanced in his canter.

Will ask more as I think of them

Thanks guys
It seems to me that the woman wants free training put on her horse that gives her trouble.
     
    11-08-2011, 04:04 PM
  #3
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by natisha    
It seems to me that the woman wants free training put on her horse that gives her trouble.
I really don't think that this is the case, sorry. She seems like a very nice woman and it sounds like she just wants some help because she works and stuff.
     
    11-08-2011, 04:15 PM
  #4
Yearling
Please guys?
     
    11-08-2011, 04:22 PM
  #5
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snizard93    
1. What does the woman mean by splint?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snizard93    

2. When she says lunging before getting on him, does she mean lunging for a couple of weeks before starting riding, or does she mean lunge for a short while and then ride him straight after?
These are questions you need to ask her, not us. We don't know the horse, haven't seen the horse, and have no idea to what his owner is referring.

As far as taking on a greenbean Friesian, what advantage is it to you? You're going to be paying this woman to basically break her horse for her. I don't see where this works in your favor, unless you're hoping for future training jobs out of it.
     
    11-08-2011, 04:33 PM
  #6
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
[LEFT]

These are questions you need to ask her, not us. We don't know the horse, haven't seen the horse, and have no idea to what his owner is referring.

As far as taking on a greenbean Friesian, what advantage is it to you? You're going to be paying this woman to basically break her horse for her. I don't see where this works in your favor, unless you're hoping for future training jobs out of it.
Well, it is a free loan. She isn't asking for any money. This is the main advantage for me, I have looked at other horses and I simply can't afford 20+ a week. I have been riding for 11 years now and this will be my first time loaning. I wanted a bit of a challenge...

Was just hoping for some friendly advice, not to have my head bitten off!
     
    11-08-2011, 04:43 PM
  #7
Banned
Google splints in horses.
     
    11-08-2011, 04:49 PM
  #8
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba13    
Google splints in horses.
Thanks, didn't even think of that
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new loan horse <3 alltimelowx Horse Pictures 5 04-22-2011 10:54 PM
Young Rider, Young horse Cowboy Ken Horse Videos 14 11-08-2010 01:00 PM
Looking to loan a horse!! Heather Sutherland Horses for Sale 5 10-27-2009 06:06 AM
Horse on loan horsesense007 Horse Law 1 03-19-2009 02:26 PM
15.3 tb for loan or loan with view to buy nix77 Horses for Sale 0 10-22-2007 01:04 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0