01-08-2011, 05:34 AM
| || |
Mbender, the number of lions isn't critical yet, but you're right, they are dwindling... fast. They get caught in traps set for other animals, and instead of releasing them as they caught the wrong animal, poacher' kill them anyway. It's disgusting!
Also, more and more people are inhabiting their territory, often overgrazing the land with their cattle. This drives the lion's natural prey away, and in desperation for food the lion's hunt cattle, and once or twice even people! But this makes them a danger, and they are killed. It's not fair!
Gidget, thank you, I feel lucky :) I'm pleased you bought one of the "AIDS purses", I bought one too... my brother's room is decorated in the african style, it looks very nice :)
Arksly, that's what I was thinking, so I had my brother phone up the National Wildlife office, and they did add the name painted dog, but it's not always right
RedTree, that's great, and I think your right... we have over 1000 different species of bird, roughly over 60 species of insect, and a whole other bunch of species of wildlife and reptile, not to mention fish. That's great that you are studying conservation, that's what I'm going to study too, and if you do come over here, you never know, we might work together!!
Here's just a few random facts:
1. The hippo kills more people than any other animal in Africa.
2. The buffalo is the most dangerous animal in Africa.
3. A lion's roar can be heard 5 miles away.
4. Elephants communicate through a series of vibrations that humans can't sense, but elephants can sense them for over 2 miles.
5. Each species of vulture has a different purpose at a kill
6. If a cheetah cub dies, the mother will eat it, rather than let another animal eat it.
7. Leapards can drag a kill 3 times their body weight straight up a tree.
8. The black rhino is more aggresive than the white, but both will charge withut warning.
9. Never run from any charging animal, be it lion, elephant or rhino, stay very stil and make a lot of noise
Does anyone have any other questions about the videos, or about the facts I have above?