I've been looking all summer, since may, I've traveled to places that were 5-6 hrs away, and have had 2 vet checked, who both came up lame. I've spent alot just 'looking'. There was one horse, who about 6 weeks ago came up for sale. I called and my budget was $1000 short, so I went to work busting my tail for the extra grand.(he said he was very firm on price) When I called two weeks later, the horse was sold- to a guy who was making payments (why didnt I think of that???) I told the seller I had been working super hard to come up with the money.
So, about a week ago, I got offered a sweet little red horse for $300, who is kid broke and very easy to ride. She was very chill and a sweetheart but def NOT my dream horse, very barnyard looking but gentle. I went ahead and bought $900 of grass hay to last till spring. I was about to pick up the phone to say, I'll come get her, when I got this sick feeling inside, and thought, gosh, if only I could have had the other (expensive) horse! At that moment, no joke, the phone rang, and it was the seller , telling me the guys payments fell through and the mare was back up for sale, and asked did I want her, because 3 other people also want her. I made an appointment for the next morning.
I didnt sleep at all that night, I was so excited, thinking about her, and how he called me just as I thought of her after a whole month, So I got up at 5 a.m. & raced 2 hrs away (got there 2 hours early, lol) to go look at the horse, thinking,well, who knows. I might not even like her when I get there. But instead, I loved her, I mean, really, really loved her. I told him I wanted to sleep on it, because that's what I do, with everything....before making decisions. But he told me he wouldnt hold the horse for me without a deposit and that 3 others also REALLy wanted her. I told him I at least wanted to think over lunch so I drove back to town and deliberated for 5 hours before driving back to hand him ALL my money ($2150).... still owing $350 plus $6 a day until the horse was picked up.
Now that I wake up this morning, Im like, wth have I done?????? No vet check, and I still owe money? I must be insane! I've had TWO horses come up as unrideable by the vets!!! Plus I could have gotten a nice horse for $300 and had lots left over! Now I have to go straight to work and hope I have enough to go pick her up by next weekend...uggh.
Not sure how to feel about this right now. On one hand, the seller is a horse trainer who has been in business for 45 years, and swore to me the horse was 100% sound. He said he stands behind that because he wants to keep his good reputation and sell me my next horse as well. On top of that, the mare was very well trained, very responsive, and absolutely my favorite horse I've looked at....
So I guess Im just worried about money, and the fact I didnt get her vet checked. And that she's way bigger (15.1) than what I had originally wanted (14 or so), but that can have its advantages I suppose. I did feel very safe on her. Is there anything I can or should do at this point, with her still being at his place?? Could I still back out if I got a vet check and she didnt pass? Or should I just take my chances? She is 8 years old.
Sorry this is so long, all in all, I think I let myself get swept away by a combo of my own frustration at spending the whole summer looking, the fact that I loved the horse, and that the seller was kind of pressuring me to make a decision right then. I feel like he knew what he was doing, all the other people let me sleep on it and made it very easy on my conscience to make a good decision. I feel like I should be so happy right now because I got my first horse, but instead Im just sooo worried, ahhh!