I already posted this in the Classifieds section, but I decided this might be a better place for it- can anyone give me some advice on this?
My name is Sarah and I am from Ithaca, New York. I am a senior in high school, and trying to figure out what to do with my horse that I have had over 2 years now. I really want to keep him (obviously), but I don't know if I will have the money/time during college.
Charlie is a 2000 chestnut Thoroughbred gelding, 15.3hh. I bought him in October of 2005 as an off-the-track greenie for $1500 and have been retraining him ever since. I have a feeling he had some bad treatment during the years before I bought him because he has always been extra nervous around new things. The first few months he was living at my barn he would freak out about everything, didn't like people around him at all, and was very headshy.
After 2 years of informal training (mostly just me working with him, and have not had a lot of training experience), he has relaxed a lot. He has really begun to trust people much more, lets me rub his ears and cut his bridle path (used to be impossible!), is usually very calm to ride, loves to jump (though still needs work), and is becoming much more friendly towards people.
He has a great personality, gets along great other horses, has great large feet for a tb, very big and I usually keep him barefoot and he's been great like that most of the time. He is very sound- the only problems he's ever had are a couple of minor abscesses in his hooves early on when I owned him. He's a stocky tb, very muscular. He loads very well and has been to a couple of local shows, and showed in his first flat classes this past summer. He's good for the farrier and vet, just nervous sometimes.
My main worry is that he needs a very patient person and an experienced rider and I don't know if I'll be able to find the "perfect" person for him. He will be a great horse for someone who is looking for a fun project. This horse is so much fun to ride, I fell in love with him the first time I rode him and he's only gotten better as he's calmed down.
It kills me to sell him, but I have a feeling it will be my only option as I go off to college next fall. Does anyone have some advice about what I should do, pricing, and just the next steps I should take in this project?
Thanks for the input! I will include link to his pedigree. http://www.pedigreequery.com/loafer2